Replacement Clutch for stock 2013 Boss

burke985

Established Member
I had a Exedy Mach 600 in my boosted 12 GT i used to have and never had an issue and it made almost 700 whp. Pedal was stiffer than stock but they say the 500 is closer to stock. Ill probably go that route when the time comes i see no need to spend a grand on a clutch when its not needed.....make sure you pick you up a lightweight flywheel too to eliminate some rotating mass.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I hear ya about the money, StalkerStang. I got lucky and bought it when Beefcake did a 20% off sale right before Xmas.
Lol I took advantage of the black Friday sale to get my gt350 manifold from MMR, which is sort of what created my clutch issues to begin with!

StalkerStang

Established Member
I posted in the 11-14 engine section in the gt350 manifold thread, but it's working out very well so far.

It put down 423 @ 7250 on a Mustang dyno.... around 40 horse gain at peak over my last tune with the stock intake on the same dyno.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Just found your thread - that dyno graph looks great. Extra revs is what makes the Roadrunner so much fun compared to the Coyote and you've gone above and beyond what the Bosses normally gain. Very very cool.

Now go get a better clutch to allow you to shift at those higher revs!

StalkerStang

Established Member
Thank you, yes I was surprised by the gains as well, and yes now there are clutch issues!

The other night I hammered 2nd gear up to 7300 or so to shift into 3rd and the pedal only came back about half way. I plan to go to the track on the 20th and I don't think my factory clutch is gonna hang.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Yep, been there, done that. You can remove the clutch pedal helper spring if you haven't already and that should help at least a little with the pedal coming back up more consistently. But, again, 7k+ shifts are just not going to be easy with the OE clutch.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Its a pressure plate anomaly. The pressure plate pushes back on the the throw-out bearing at high rpms, which forces the fluid back to the reservoir. You can tell this if your reservoir level is high, it will spill out on your frame/inner fender area(and eats your paint, it got me). Change that shitty clutch and flywheel out first thing. I did, and my MT82 shifts like butter at 8K. Springs, high flow lines, dual reservoirs, none of those band aids will fix the pressure plate. That is the first thing I did back in 13 and it made the car much more enjoyable.

StalkerStang

Established Member
That's the plan is to go with a Spec stage 2+ or a Mcleod Extreme street.....

I'll be changing to DOT 5.1 fluid and the braided clutch line next week. But changing the actual clutch is a priority soon after.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Did any of you guys have to use a spacer or shim for the throw-out bearing? This is the first hydraulic clutch car I've owned and I've never had to shim a throw-out bearing before on my previous cable clutch Mustangs.

Just trying to read up on it and figure out what I need so I'm not stuck needing parts when its torn down.

Swine

Established Member
Its a pressure plate anomaly. The pressure plate pushes back on the the throw-out bearing at high rpms, which forces the fluid back to the reservoir. You can tell this if your reservoir level is high, it will spill out on your frame/inner fender area(and eats your paint, it got me). Change that shitty clutch and flywheel out first thing. I did, and my MT82 shifts like butter at 8K. Springs, high flow lines, dual reservoirs, none of those band aids will fix the pressure plate. That is the first thing I did back in 13 and it made the car much more enjoyable.

Great information. Im purchasing a 13' Boss myself soon and have been pondering what i was going to do about potential clutch/shifting issues. I had a tuned 12' GT that i rev'ed out to 7400rpm occasionally and never had any real big issues, but it wasnt flawless and i could only imagine the issues growing worse with mileage, wear, and the additional RPM's of the Boss.

I think im going to preemptively change the clutch on mine to help syncro life and increase the driving experience. We will see after i drive it for a while though.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Swine - you are on the right track. I've owned 2 Bosses and they both had the lockout. In hindsight, a better clutch should have been my very first upgrade. My car is SO MUCH more enjoyable now.

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Exedy Mach 500 and lightened flywheel on my Boss 302 as I plan to stay NA. I shift at 8000 all day and it has no issues. Good, inexpensive upgrade. Pedal is barely harder than stock.
All day at 8K..... WOW!

LowBoltBoy

Established Member
I'm at the same place on my '13 Boss, so glad to see this thread updated. Thanks, guys! I only have 1500 miles on my car and am hoping to prevent damage to my MT-82 . I'm all over the place on clutch replacement. If the Spec 2+ and Exedy Mach 500 , Super Street Pro or Street Extreme will all eliminate the high rpm issues that narrows things down a bunch. I don't mind spending the cash on a twin disc, but don't want the noise. I know my car will never see any track time and don't plan to mod the engine.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I just spent a couple of hours driving my Boss with the new RST and maybe I am lucky but it is very quiet. Very, very slight noise in neutral with clutch out but otherwise nothing. The shuddering that it did when brand new has diminished to almost nothing now after a few hundred city miles and hopefully it will completely go away.

No matter what clutch you go with, if it solves the high rpm lockout issue, the car becomes so much more enjoyable to drive. These things really are special cars.

Swine

Established Member
I just spent a couple of hours driving my Boss with the new RST and maybe I am lucky but it is very quiet. Very, very slight noise in neutral with clutch out but otherwise nothing. The shuddering that it did when brand new has diminished to almost nothing now after a few hundred city miles and hopefully it will completely go away.

No matter what clutch you go with, if it solves the high rpm lockout issue, the car becomes so much more enjoyable to drive. These things really are special cars.

Sometimes i have a hard time listening to peoples reviews who just spent large amounts of money on something, it really jades the POV. This one seems more directly honest.

Users who are viewing this thread