Restomod Nova and my 93 Cobra

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_7621.JPG
its a hot and sunny day here in the northern suburbs of Houston. The temperature is in the nineties today, which is almost the temperature that detracts from the enjoyment of driving. In SE Texas, our driving season is when our northern brethren have thier cars stowed away to hibernate.

I was craving a drive in my 1993 Cobra and decided to take it on an enjoyable drive through a national forest, not far from my house. It's my "go to" route when I just want to get some drive time in. So with clearance from my keeper, I took off on an epic journey where man and machine could bond.

I am at the exit to my neighborhood and waiting for traffic to clear so I can enter the four lane roadway which leads north to the back roads I was craving. As I'm waiting, I see a beautiful red 1964 Chevy Nova driving north with the flow of traffic. I don't run into too many car guys while I'm out so I wasn't about to waste an opportunity to check out this car.

Traffic cleared and I turned north and started on my way. It appeared the Nova slowed, which I believe to allow me to catch up. I slowly pulled along the driver side and we both made eye contact. This car looked like a fresh build with vibrant red paint. This car was the epitome of what a bad ass cruiser is supposed to be. I gave him a thumbs up and slowly drove past. He changed lanes to get around slower traffic and started to catch up to me. At this point I knew he wanted a more in depth introduction to my car.

I moved over to the right lane and let the Nova pull along side. This car was beautiful and I tried to take in as much as possible. I noticed an LS1 badge on the lower front fender and did some quick estimating on what he was making. I figured he was making 375 to 400 based on nothing but my own intuition of what an LS motor would make in that car.

As we were rolling beside one another, I heard him quickly give some throttle which echoed through his exhaust. There was no traffic ahead and a clear sight picture in the distance. I looked over and his passenger had a grin on his face which said all I needed to know.

We were doing approximately 45 miles per hour at this time. After the Nova's throttle provocation, I had to give a response. I dropped into third gear and let the driver and passenger hear the song a legit Mustang can sing. I slowly gave a little gas which prompted the Nova to go for it. The Nova roared to life, but I stood at the ready and pushed my pedal down. I totally left that red beauty and shut it down around 90mph.

He pulled along side again and the passenger looked at my car with approval. I downshifted again and held steady beside him. He hit it again and tried to even the score. I actually counted, "one one thousand", and then I responded. I passed him within the first couple seconds and ran out a little distance before ending it.

He passed and I gave a smile and a wave and admired his car a little more before I turned off. I thought to myself that even though he got beat, it didn't deminish in the least the caliber car he has and I was thankful to see it. After all, car guys know how to respect the hobby and the people who do it.

On a side note, a few weeks ago I tangled with a modded C6 Z06 on the same stretch of road and he out ran me. There is always someone faster.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah man it was beautiful. A nice restomod or restored older car gets my attention more than a lambo or Ferrari.
I’d love to have one too

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
View attachment 1487072 its a hot and sunny day here in the northern suburbs of Houston. The temperature is in the nineties today, which is almost the temperature that detracts from the enjoyment of driving. In SE Texas, our driving season is when our northern brethren have thier cars stowed away to hibernate.

I was craving a drive in my 1993 Cobra and decided to take it on an enjoyable drive through a national forest, not far from my house. It's my "go to" route when I just want to get some drive time in. So with clearance from my keeper, I took off on an epic journey where man and machine could bond.

I am at the exit to my neighborhood and waiting for traffic to clear so I can enter the four lane roadway which leads north to the back roads I was craving. As I'm waiting, I see a beautiful red 1964 Chevy Nova driving north with the flow of traffic. I don't run into too many car guys while I'm out so I wasn't about to waste an opportunity to check out this car.

Traffic cleared and I turned north and started on my way. It appeared the Nova slowed, which I believe to allow me to catch up. I slowly pulled along the driver side and we both made eye contact. This car looked like a fresh build with vibrant red paint. This car was the epitome of what a bad ass cruiser is supposed to be. I gave him a thumbs up and slowly drove past. He changed lanes to get around slower traffic and started to catch up to me. At this point I knew he wanted a more in depth introduction to my car.

I moved over to the right lane and let the Nova pull along side. This car was beautiful and I tried to take in as much as possible. I noticed an LS1 badge on the lower front fender and did some quick estimating on what he was making. I figured he was making 375 to 400 based on nothing but my own intuition of what an LS motor would make in that car.

As we were rolling beside one another, I heard him quickly give some throttle which echoed through his exhaust. There was no traffic ahead and a clear sight picture in the distance. I looked over and his passenger had a grin on his face which said all I needed to know.

We were doing approximately 45 miles per hour at this time. After the Nova's throttle provocation, I had to give a response. I dropped into third gear and let the driver and passenger hear the song a legit Mustang can sing. I slowly gave a little gas which prompted the Nova to go for it. The Nova roared to life, but I stood at the ready and pushed my pedal down. I totally left that red beauty and shut it down around 90mph.

He pulled along side again and the passenger looked at my car with approval. I downshifted again and held steady beside him. He hit it again and tried to even the score. I actually counted, "one one thousand", and then I responded. I passed him within the first couple seconds and ran out a little distance before ending it.

He passed and I gave a smile and a wave and admired his car a little more before I turned off. I thought to myself that even though he got beat, it didn't deminish in the least the caliber car he has and I was thankful to see it. After all, car guys know how to respect the hobby and the people who do it.

On a side note, a few weeks ago I tangled with a modded C6 Z06 on the same stretch of road and he out ran me. There is always someone faster.
Have you ever written to Penthouse Forum?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've always liked the '64 Nova SS. That one is gorgeous! Nice story. I was hoping for a video to catch the sights and sounds, but that's okay, that photo will suffice. ;)

mnewxcv

Established Member
I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Super clean, and ls swap makes it even cooler. Probably smokes a lot of cars, just not yours ;)

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always liked the '64 Nova SS. That one is gorgeous! Nice story. I was hoping for a video to catch the sights and sounds, but that's okay, that photo will suffice. ;)

I need to start driving with my GoPro on. Truth be told that's only the third car I've ran in my 93. I don't make it habit, but if the opportunity presents itself and there's no danger to anyone else, I'm always game.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Super clean, and ls swap makes it even cooler. Probably smokes a lot of cars, just not yours ;)

It was no slouch for sure. I would drive that thing with pride.

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
Die hard fox guy, here. I just love reading about them in action. I had no idea what was going on under your hood as I read the story, so after your "LS" comment, I thought you were going to get rocked. So, that made the actual results that much more enjoyable. Cool kill and nice write up, bud!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
i have a 67 Chevy II with a stroked ls 427. It makes 490s at the tires. I would think my terminator "590 to the tires" would pull it pretty good but really don't know for sure as we have never tried it. While there is a hp difference there is also a pretty significant weight difference with the nod going to the Chevy.
I can tell you this though, the Chevy gets way more looks than the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread