Roush Supercharger Help!

Ty2014

I dont know if im in the right thread or not for the question/help I need but if so let me know.
I have 2014 Mustang GT with Roush SC its the Phase 2 with an 85mm pulley. I took the car to the dyno few months ago to see what it was putting down it put down 516rwhp and it was running lean all the way till about 4k RPM and running fat up high. Well my question is im getting the car tuned here soon and I bought the roush boost a pump and a 72mm pulley well i have 3hr drive to take the car to dyno shop to get tuned should I wait to put the pulley on till i get there and let them do the pulles on the dyno with 72mm pulley or can i put it on before I drive up there and drive the car really nice. Im just scared already knowing when i put the 72mm on to get it tuned that it will be really lean down low and starving for fuel when he gets it on the dyno. I know this is a dumb questions I just dont want the motor to get hurt on its first pull with the new pulley and boost a pump.

Troponin

Established Member
*Edit* This reply is for a 2011-2014 Mustang. Just realized you didn't specify the year.

Yeah, I have heard that ROUSH's tuning for P1 is rich, but it leans out terribly sometimes on the P2 and P3.

With a 72mm pulley, you will need injectors. In fact, the 47s go lean at around 575whp even with an 82mm. From there, you need at least 60s. All of my research was down to a 79mm pulley and the 60s would work fine. I am not sure what you will need for the 72mm pulley, but just to be safe, I would start looking at 80-100s.

A LOT of guys go for ID1000s. They are pretty awesome injectors, but pricey. IMO, Dynamics are pretty good and cost loads less.

Ty2014

*Edit* This reply is for a 2011-2014 Mustang. Just realized you didn't specify the year.

Yeah, I have heard that ROUSH's tuning for P1 is rich, but it leans out terribly sometimes on the P2 and P3.

With a 72mm pulley, you will need injectors. In fact, the 47s go lean at around 575whp even with an 82mm. From there, you need at least 60s. All of my research was down to a 79mm pulley and the 60s would work fine. I am not sure what you will need for the 72mm pulley, but just to be safe, I would start looking at 80-100s.

A LOT of guys go for ID1000s. They are pretty awesome injectors, but pricey. IMO, Dynamics are pretty good and cost loads less.
Okay ill look into them. Thank You

Troponin

Established Member
oops, I made a mistake there, I accidentally said Dynamics, when I Meant to write DW (Deatschwerks). The Dynamics are actually the IDs (Injector dynamics).

bunits19714

Established Member
Make sure your towing is paid up in your insurance - you will need it when you pop the motor- 72 mm should swing you somewhere in the 750 rwhp range- depending on exhaust mods and timing- boosta bump will be sufficient but you will have to run a blended gasoline of premium and race gas to have any type of timing on a 72 mm. e-85 is a option but you will need a fuel system and the motor will still break. the 79 mm would probably be the safest turned up pulley to run on pump gas. but your tuner should know this or maybe you shouldn't be using them.

Ty2014

Make sure your towing is paid up in your insurance - you will need it when you pop the motor- 72 mm should swing you somewhere in the 750 rwhp range- depending on exhaust mods and timing- boosta bump will be sufficient but you will have to run a blended gasoline of premium and race gas to have any type of timing on a 72 mm. e-85 is a option but you will need a fuel system and the motor will still break. the 79 mm would probably be the safest turned up pulley to run on pump gas. but your tuner should know this or maybe you shouldn't be using them.
I understand it's not on the car and I have stock exhaust except roush axle back and I haven't asked them yet they are closed right now just trying to get a better understanding of this all

bunits19714

Established Member
smaller pulley= more blower rpm, which = more air being forced in to the motor, which = more horsepower, which = the need for more fuel. Notice I didn't use the term "boost"- Boost is a term used for measuring air restriction- a closed exhaust system- stock manifolds, cats, mufflers reso- restricts the outgoing flow of air(exhaust) which will lessen the amount of air the motor can take in, because a motor can only take in what it can get rid of. A higher flowing air intake will increase boost, by allowing the motor to take in more air than the stock airbox- you have a free flowing air in take(in the stg 2) - next is the throttle body- which is also a restriction of airflow into the motor limiting boost- you can limit boost by limiting flows in and out, and by doing this when spinning the blower at a higher rpm you end up just generating a lot of hot air . I think 79mm is your magic number with your restrictive exhaust and smaller tb should net you around 620 ish with a good tune and good fuel - lose the cats and add some headers and the 79mm will probably net you another 50 hp more so long as you can get enough air into the motor. TVS are more efficient and require less injector than other sc generating the same hp levels.

Ty2014

smaller pulley= more blower rpm, which = more air being forced in to the motor, which = more horsepower, which = the need for more fuel. Notice I didn't use the term "boost"- Boost is a term used for measuring air restriction- a closed exhaust system- stock manifolds, cats, mufflers reso- restricts the outgoing flow of air(exhaust) which will lessen the amount of air the motor can take in, because a motor can only take in what it can get rid of. A higher flowing air intake will increase boost, by allowing the motor to take in more air than the stock airbox- you have a free flowing air in take(in the stg 2) - next is the throttle body- which is also a restriction of airflow into the motor limiting boost- you can limit boost by limiting flows in and out, and by doing this when spinning the blower at a higher rpm you end up just generating a lot of hot air . I think 79mm is your magic number with your restrictive exhaust and smaller tb should net you around 620 ish with a good tune and good fuel - lose the cats and add some headers and the 79mm will probably net you another 50 hp more so long as you can get enough air into the motor. TVS are more efficient and require less injector than other sc generating the same hp levels.
That helps a lot thank you!

15PSI

Established Member
I run a 79mm with a TVS GEN II. ID1000s for safety and when E85 gets more plentiful in my area. As said before, you need a lot of changes to run a 72mm. My 2012 has a full exhaust and 11-12 PSI with the 79mm. Pretty conservative tune and the car has 670 RWHP.

Users who are viewing this thread