Rumor: 7.0L N/A V8 in new GT500

Recon

Established Member
Anyone read this article yet? Thoughts? I doubt it will be this but that would be a cool concept.
1984ced4f5b62ac2b2ca5ec756a84eae.jpg

Whether it debuts as a 2018 or 2019 model, the next Shelby GT500 Mustang will receive a naturally aspirated 7.0L V8, according to Ford Performance sources.

“Ford’s new 7.0L V8 variant will be built in Canada, and the short blocks for the motor will be sent to FPTC (Ford Performance Technical Center) in Concord for the addition of ‘go-fast’ parts”, claims a Ford insider at the recent 2017 Chicago Auto Show.

The Ford Performance Technical Center is located in Concord, North Carolina, and is a growing component for the various Ford Performance programs, including NASCAR.

NASCAR currently runs a 358ci N/A motor in their Monster Energy Cup cars, and they are capable of nearly 1,000 horsepower without the addition of power adders. Perhaps this facility in Concord, NC is a suitable location for the completion of the new hand-built 7.0L V8 GT500 motors.

On the surface, however, this news seems to contradict Ford’s global strategy of moving to a small power plant in all of Ford’s vehicle lineup, most notably, Ford’s EcoBoost V6 line.

“This is a win-win for Ford. The Super Duty trucks will receive a 7.0L V8 to replace the aging 6.8L V10 motor, and then Ford will utilize the same short block and forged rotating assembly as a foundation for the new GT500 power plant. I can’t say much more, but know this V8 will feature direct injection, and some seriously high flowing heads and upper intake assembly.”

Our source continues: “I could go on and on about the liberal use of carbon composite materials, active aero, aluminum and the new 10-speed transmission, but it’s best that we don’t divulge too much. Just know that you will see this car debut sooner than you think.”

Article:
http://speedtwitch.com/source-fords-next-shelby-gt500-will-be-powered-by-na-7-0l-v8-powerplant/

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'll believe it when I see it. Would still love to see Ford go different with a T.T. V8 this go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevSher20

Established Member
Let's see a 7.0 and a TT option. That would be cool. Let the GT500 be a TT5 5.2 and have a different Mustang run the 7.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fourcam380

Established Member
If you're going to run with misinfo, makes sense to use what's already on the net. Smart play by Ford. I still blame Obama for the ecoboost BS.

Fourcam380

Established Member
I take more solace in what C and D said with a CPC 5.2 with blower unfortunately. Maybe a Boss 429 is coming with the big block? Maybe that could be the straight line monster to go after the Demon.

This would make more sense in a new Boss 429 as stated. Just nowhere to amortize costs for such a low production model, especially since Ford just did that with the 5.2, since the 7.0 in mass production would do the opposite of help in meeting CAFE regs

sask10

Established Member
Here's some wishful thinking. Ford did play around with a 7.0 boss engine(bored and stroked 6.2) a few years ago in some concept vehicle. The V10 is still around but in the medium duty chassis, and there has been some speculation in that crowd about an upgrade to some kind of new gas power plant for that platform.

Now let's stretch things a little thinner. First, it seems strange to me that Ford would code name an engine exclusively used in trucks "Boss" without at least some future ulterior motive to use it in the mustang. Second, we know that Ford has never produced a GT350 and GT500 in the same model year and a GT350 has been confirmed for 2018. Third, 2019 would be the 50 year anniversary of the original "boss 429".
Forth, Ford is big on anniversaries, they already paid homage to the GT500 in 07 with the 40th, the 50th would have been 2017 and no GT500.

Putting my fantasy all together, I don't think we're going to see another special variant of the mustang until the GT350 is gone. The next high hp mustang will be released in 2018 as a 2019 Boss.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Here's some wishful thinking. Ford did play around with a 7.0 boss engine(bored and stroked 6.2) a few years ago in some concept vehicle. The V10 is still around but in the medium duty chassis, and there has been some speculation in that crowd about an upgrade to some kind of new gas power plant for that platform.

Now let's stretch things a little thinner. First, it seems strange to me that Ford would code name an engine exclusively used in trucks "Boss" without at least some future ulterior motive to use it in the mustang. Second, we know that Ford has never produced a GT350 and GT500 in the same model year and a GT350 has been confirmed for 2018. Third, 2019 would be the 50 year anniversary of the original "boss 429".
Forth, Ford is big on anniversaries, they already paid homage to the GT500 in 07 with the 40th, the 50th would have been 2017 and no GT500.

Putting my fantasy all together, I don't think we're going to see another special variant of the mustang until the GT350 is gone. The next high hp mustang will be released in 2018 as a 2019 Boss.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hopefully they won't limit it to Boss 429 production levels for the the 50th anniversary or any model year like they did with the 2015 GT350.

sask10

Established Member
Ya low production numbers and outrageous admin fees make me want to look at other options. I hope production numbers are close the previous generation GT500s.

To me if Ford wants to set the competition on their heals like in 07 it's going to take more then a TT5.0/5.2. Those are fun options to think about but can you get 750+hp out of an engine like that at a price point that the mustang competes in? It's possible yes... but the cost of those kind of components aren't cheap and at that hp level a pulley swap and retune the hellcat could be there easily in the next MY. If GM is going DOCH with the next 6.2 I don't see any 5.0/5.2 engine combo staying on top very long. A boss variant with coyote type tech (4 valve/VCT) seems cheaper to produce and leaves the sky as the limit if it went forced induction. Throwing out all the rumours/speculation this seems like the most logical considering what the competition is up to.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i have a family member that works for a vendor ford used(es) on the GT350/500.

this is 100% false. the new GT500 is boosted.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Motortrend had a spy shot of a gt350 (likely a test car) with what looks like a ford racing supercharger kit on it.

I think ford let that picture happen to silence the 7.0L myth.

I am hoping they find a way to shoehorn a 7.0L Dohc into a 2019 boss 429 as a 50-500 unit limited edition around $75k... And have a boss 302 again in bigger volume at about $40-45k range.

The new v8 is allegedly a 4.8L design so getting 5.0L wouldn't be too hard. Hopefully it's 4.8L with a tiny 3.1" stroke and a 3.9" bore... Leave options for 9000rpm or upto 429" on a taller block with 4" bores and 4.275" stroke. Pipe dream stuff but with so much speculation and day dreaming already afoot, why not dream

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A 4.25/4.3" bore would make even more power/could rev higher but the heads would be even wider for that which wouldn't be very reasonable for anything front engine that had sizable wheel wells and wasn't a truck or SUV

Users who are viewing this thread