Sanding my supercharger, EEEKK !

blue 07

Established Member
After trying to finish up my engine bay after a winter of modifications, the only thing that looked like it needed some dressing up was the supercharger to make the engine bay complete. So I had my body guy body paint just the SVT and 5.8 logo on my supercharger in blue with the period separating the 5 and 8 in red. Cool idea until I saw it. Not that he did a bad job, it was just to much. I don't know if it was to much blue with all the other mods or airbrushing, I just didn't like it. So I went back in with my IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0735.JPG IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3805.JPG head down and told him I didn't like it, and he agreed ! After seeing it painted, I told him I wanted the 5.8 and SVT logos to match all the other aluminum that was under the hood like the aluminum tanks, aluminum covers etc. He told me if I use SANDPAPER and sand it down, it will shine like all the other aluminum. So VERY reluctantly I grabbed my sanding block and started sanding down the 5.8 and SVT logos !! I started with 220 grit, then 400, then 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, then finished it with 3000. I did 4 different sets of each grit, about 10 plus hours of work. I polished it with Adams metal cleaner 1 and 2 and here are the results. I might do one more set but had enough for the time being. As with all raw aluminum, there are a couple of natural imperfections in it but compared to the stock look, I think it came out pretty cool.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
+1 on before pictures

I originally wanted grabber and red on my blower...then I got lazy for 5 years and nothing is done.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
looks great! Plus you get the added benefit of doing it yourself... that's always a good feeling.

blue 07

Established Member
I don't think I have any before pics when it was painted, but will post up if I do. I do have it embedded in my brain that the painted logos were "to much", it just didn't flow with the rest of the mods. The focal point became the logos, not the theme I wanted. I wanted the engine bay to have a flow and theme to it, the painted logos were over the top, where as the polished logos don't stand out as much but match all the other polished aluminum IMO.

blue 07

Established Member
looks great! Plus you get the added benefit of doing it yourself... that's always a good feeling.
Thanks,that's my thought to. I will say I was nervous taking 220 grit sandpaper to my supercharger though !! Scratched the heck out of it but got smoother and more polished the more I did it. Although I detail vehicles, I never have done it before. Lots of painters and detail tape to make sure I did not scratch any of the aluminum around the logos, and lots of time and finesse with the sanding block. I think I grew some bigger ones when I was done !! Ha Ha

blue 07

Established Member
I like how subtle it looks

Sent from my SM-N920P using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks for the complement ! I like it to, not to much but different than the norm. It looks more like it came that way from the factory.IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3794.JPG I also want to say that I don't take anything away from someone who wants to or has chosen to paint their supercharger !! Just in my case, I was looking for something subtle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread