School me on crown vics/Grand Marquis

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'm looking for a cheap extra vehicle should something go down. I've been looking at CV/GM's. I've been searching on Craigslist, so I haven't been able to see any clear engine pics and don't want to contact anyone on CL until I know more. Which year got coil on plugs, PI motor, etc.. What should I look out for?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I believe the 2001+ on got the PI heads|intake manifold, though I am not 100% sure on that, sure someone else will chime in. Though I would look for 2004+, lots of chassis improvements etc.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I bought a new Crown Vic LX in 2004 and had it for 10 years. I liked the car and only sold it because I was "tired" of it. Needless to say I got "tired" of my Ford Explorer car payments pretty quickly as well.

I can't knowledgeably comment about coil on plugs or PI motor but here are the issues I had while owning the car:
1) catalytic converters went bad but were covered under warranty. If I recall the warranty on those was like 8 years or something
2)air conditioner went out in 8th year of ownership but I fixed it. It was an easy, cheap fix that simply required 4 new 'o' rings.
3)rear passenger side window regulator went out. I fixed that as well but it was a pain since the door panel had been riveted in place.
4)there was a sensor related to emissions that went bad which was an easy replacement as well.

All in all it was a good car I should have kept.

ssssnake

Established Member
All I know is they last forever. Crown Vickie's were used by the police a lot. I had it's Ford cousin, an LTD. The A/C did go out eventually. It quit running after about 8 years and over 100,000 miles, and we had a junk yard come pick it up. They probably had it running again that day.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if im not mistaken crown vics picked up 'PI' heads in 2001.

There are minor differences between the romeo and windsor engines but nothing to get excited about.

In general, panthers are built like trucks and are fairly indestructible. Ive heard of NY city cabs with 1 million miles on them. If they do break down they are cheap to fix.

the only issue to look for is wether it has the 4 thread or 8 thread spark plug heads. Not sure when they switched over to the 8 thread. I think it was 2004. Some of the earlier 4.6s were known for blowing out the spark plugs.

The "p71" police interceptor has the same hp as the civilian models but they have a different ECM tune for engine/trans and heavier duty suspension. Regardless of year all panthers are absurdly slow, 220hp on a good day and 4,400lbs. Stock they run mid 16s so dont expect a street sleeper.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Look for a 2003 or newer. Had a redesigned hydroformed frame, better brakes, and the PI engine. Also used the same offset as 05+ mustangs.

I had an earlier model- 87. Comfortable cars. Look out for passenger front frame, AC condenser drips on them and rots there. Crownvic.net is a good resource.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
As a State Trooper, I have had a 1999, 2000, 2003, and 2006 Vicky. The best was the 2003 followed by the 2006. Very predictable cars, and the handling was exceptionally good for a car that was 5000+ pounds when full of gear. Like said above, they are not fast by any means, but are damn near indestructible, reliable as hell, and relatively cheap to fix when you break them.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Hold out for a nice P71. As was said before, 2003 had upgrades to the brakes and front suspension and frame. Sometimes you can find one that was for undercover use - no holes for lights & switches - nicer interior.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Something happen to the BMW?

Had an E350 as a extra vehicle. Tech needed a decent clean car so I flipped for a couple extra grand. Now with both my boys driving the only "extra" car we have is the V, and I have collector car insurance on it, so can't really drive it to work for more than a day.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
i really wish there was an in-expensive way of coyote+6spd swap into a crown vic.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
i really wish there was an in-expensive way of coyote+6spd swap into a crown vic.

some times you run across good deals. The 5.0 powertrain/drivetrain out of F150s is usually much cheaper than its mustang counterpart. Granted there are some differences, but it would still make for one helluva swap.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
My '99 CV has over a 1/4 million on it and still going strong. Had to replace a few things, but love the car.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Hold out for a nice P71. As was said before, 2003 had upgrades to the brakes and front suspension and frame. Sometimes you can find one that was for undercover use - no holes for lights & switches - nicer interior.

Or a crown vic sport- still had some upgrades, and nice buckets/console.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im definitely looking to find a Lincoln Town Car by the end of the year. Indestructable, reliable, easy as hell to fix, parts literally everywhere. They are the American equivalent of the Mercedes W126 essentially. Only the the parts get cheaper and are plentiful instead of expensive and hard to find.

Why a Town Car for me? I want a lazy boy on wheels when im not rollin in Scarlett. I must be getting old lol

Gravik

Established Member
Get an 01 or newer. 01 is when they got PI upgrades. 04 is regarded as the best year since it was last year for mechanical throttle

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread