Sct tuner advice

04termi black beast

Established Member
The previous owner of my car sent me the tuner that was used before to tune it. This tuner is extremely old lol, so my question will be, Can I still use this tuner to tune my car again? Am about to install the accufab SB TB and inlet with the JLT Next Gen upgrade kit, and want to make sure everything works perfect. Thank you all in advance.
9f77ad6e6ea6bd271fd6af848880b723.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
The software might be a problem. Had a sf3 and was kind of a bitch for a tuner to set it up because it was old. Still was able to load onto and upload to ecu but took a little while. I don't think livelink's works with it. So had to find an older program to get it to work.

My sf3 had 3 unlocks left sold it on CL for a bill and bought a sct4 on CL for 250.
the sct4 took 10 minutes to install and set up.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
How can I know how many unlocks left do I have on it?

Should be in the Device Info screen.

To be honest there is no reason to get rid of that one. Yes, it will most likely not work with the new Livelink but the older version is still available and uses less resources, you can then just open the file with the new Livelink to take advantage of the new feature like histograms and stuff. That is only an issue with Livelink, there is no issue with the Advantage software used to write the tunes. I remember seeing somewhere that the X2/X3 is better suited for our ECU and the newer X4 is better for the newer stuff don't know if that's true or not but I read it on the internet...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have that sct2 and I datalogged just the other day with no problem. Now, I haven't actually used it to drop in a new tune in maybe three years now....so I'm just assuming it will still work for that the way it use to. Im pretty sure sct no longer supports future updates or changes to it...but I bet you can find the old firmware no problem.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member

To be honest there is no reason to get rid of that one. Yes, it will most likely not work with the new Livelink but the older version is still available and uses less resources, you can then just open the file with the new Livelink to take advantage of the new feature like histograms and stuff. That is only an issue with Livelink, there is no issue with the Advantage software used to write the tunes. I remember seeing somewhere that the X2/X3 is better suited for our ECU and the newer X4 is better for the newer stuff don't know if that's true or not but I read it on the internet...

I would like to see where you read that from about the x2/x3 is better suited. I was told that the 4 is so much easier to use. I like the fact that I can monitor like 6 functions and have little gauges. but to each his own.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I would like to see where you read that from about the x2/x3 is better suited. I was told that the 4 is so much easier to use. I like the fact that I can monitor like 6 functions and have little gauges. but to each his own.

I'll see if I can dig it up chances are not likely. The X4 does have a better display and easier to use. This was strictly in context of data logging and writing tunes so the handheld it's self isn't really of much consequence. I could have sworn someone who knew what they were talking about said they prefered it when I was researching how to tune when I got ProRacer.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I still use my old X2 for datalogging because my wideband is hooked up to a serial cable. I use Livelink 4.2 to datalog then use 6.5 to look at the data when I'm done. I like the X2 better than the X3 because I don't have random gauge movements while driving.

If the tuner is already married to the car you don't have to worry about how many unlocks there are left.

As long as the tuner doesn't brick you'll be fine. If it dies you'll have to upgrade.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

04termi black beast

Established Member
I still use my old X2 for datalogging because my wideband is hooked up to a serial cable. I use Livelink 4.2 to datalog then use 6.5 to look at the data when I'm done. I like the X2 better than the X3 because I don't have random gauge movements while driving.

If the tuner is already married to the car you don't have to worry about how many unlocks there are left.

As long as the tuner doesn't brick you'll be fine. If it dies you'll have to upgrade.

How do I know if the tuner is married to the car or not.

04termi black beast

Established Member

Damn bro I really didn't understand shit lol. I have never tune a car, never use a tuner before so everything you said I bet is good to know but I'm lost. It sucks to feel this way but eventually I'll learn what's datalogging, livelink and all those staff am hearing from you all. Thanks for the info

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Damn bro I really didn't understand shit lol. I have never tune a car, never use a tuner before so everything you said I bet is good to know but I'm lost. It sucks to feel this way but eventually I'll learn what's datalogging, livelink and all those staff am hearing from you all. Thanks for the info

It's not bad. It's only a few steps after plugging it in. I bet there's a video on YouTube about it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Maybe that's what it was that is obnoxious. I hear if you update the firmware it fixes that but I'm past the update software working and at the time the tech support took forever. Seems much better now though.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Maybe that's what it was that is obnoxious. I hear if you update the firmware it fixes that but I'm past the update software working and at the time the tech support took forever. Seems much better now though.
It's probably been over a year since I updated my X3. I never updated my X2. I do my own tuning and never saw the point since everything worked.

Soap

Established Member
You can still datalog with that XCal2 but SCT does not support that device anymore which means the software most tuners have can not write tunes for that old of a device.

I know this because I just had to buy a new tuner last summer to get my car returned after 10 years.

--Joe

04termi black beast

Established Member
You can still datalog with that XCal2 but SCT does not support that device anymore which means the software most tuners have can not write tunes for that old of a device.

I know this because I just had to buy a new tuner last summer to get my car returned after 10 years.

--Joe
Am just going to try to use it to tune it after I do my upgrades and then I save $ for the x4

Soap

Established Member
Am just going to try to use it to tune it after I do my upgrades and then I save $ for the x4

I don't think you understand what I wrote. You can only use that handheld to datalog with. Tuners can not write tunes for that device any longer.

So if you plan to tune the car at all, you need a new device.

--Joe

Users who are viewing this thread