Second Gear Grind

atsignatsign

Established Member
I hope anyone can shed some light on my issue.

When shifting into 2nd gear there is a grinding sound - I've attempted to record the sound and I just cant get it to pick up on a camera.
It happens regardless of shift style - Slow, Fast, Low and High RPM, Upshift, Downshift - Its not the reported "high Rpm shift clunk" I find on the forums I'm typically shifting at 2500 rpm. I'm just trying to daily drive this car I'm not racing it down the streets.

Ford has acknowledged the sound and have abandoned me at this point telling me to just drive it with the radio on. In the last year of ownership its been in the shop 8 - 9 months.
(3 dealers)

Things done by Ford - in this order
1. New Clutch (I paid)
2. New Synchos (warranty)
3. New Pilot Bearing (warranty)
4. Clutch / Brake Fluid Flush (I paid)
5. New Transmission (warranty)
6. Swap to AMSOIL Transmission Fluid (I paid)

It's a Stock 2013 with 26,000 miles.
Since the New Clutch and Transmission swap ive been breaking in the car slowly driving 30 miles a day round trip to work shifting at 3000 rpm tops.

I cant afford to sell this car but I'm going insane driving and throwing money at it.
Thanks for any help you can offer

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I replaced the standard rubber shifter bushing with Revan Racing GT500R bushing when I first got the car. I have not had any problem up to this point (13,500). Unfortunately they don't have anymore of them. You could contact them and ask about other alternatives. Also, I probably go past 3000 rpm in first gear most of the time.

Pete

atsignatsign

Established Member
Common issue with the TR6060. Issue with the second blocker rings using shitty sintered metal. I'd suggest upgrading to carbon blocker rings. They sell an upgraded 2nd gear carbon blocker ring set you can put in. You need to buy two sets.

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/tr6...ybrid-synchronizer-blocker-ring-kit-upgraded/

Thank you for the info, Can the grinding cause any damage to the car or is it just a sound? I've stretched my wallet for this car I dont want to break something.

Do you have any ballpark of what it would cost to get the upgraded rings installed?

atsignatsign

Established Member
I replaced the standard rubber shifter bushing with Revan Racing GT500R bushing when I first got the car. I have not had any problem up to this point (13,500). Unfortunately they don't have anymore of them. You could contact them and ask about other alternatives. Also, I probably go past 3000 rpm in first gear most of the time.

Pete

Just to clarify - you did have the grinding issue when you first got the car?

I was looking at the bushings or possibly a whole shifter upgrade but I didn't want to invest and still have the problem after install. Thanks for the reply

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
No I did not have any grinding. I replaced it because of that issue that others seemed to have with it. Mine is a 2014. Call Revan Racing. Van may be able to send you in the right direction.

Pete

svt_smrf

Established Member
any one know roughly the cost to have those carbon blocker rings installed?

considering having it done while i have the tranny out of the car.

RBB

Established Member
Change the tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF and get yourself an MGW Gen2 shifter. It makes a world of difference. I still occasionally get a little grind, but it's rare.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it actually grinding going into gear or is it a grinding "sound"?

Either the synchros are failing to stop the gears from aligning during a shift causing a physical grind, or they arent.

Car only has 26k miles....If you've had the clutch, synchros, AND trans replaced, i find it hard to believe the car is still grinding going into gear?

Could it be something else making this sound? Try harder to get some video of it. Use a mic on your GoPro if you have to.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
^^Those are my thoughts too. Are you sure you don't have issues with the clutch master cylinder? If it's not solidly mounted, something is restricting the clutch pedal's movement, or it's just defective, it may not be completely disengaging the the clutch and causing your issues. I'd press Ford hard to replace it. It's it's grinding in normal driving fully warmed up, something is definitely wrong.

Dbrd_5.0

Established Member
MGW shifter will help, well with most of the problems. . I had a race spec. Gen 2 on my MT82 5.0 & man I loved it. Night & Day difference, I can’t wait to order one for my GT500. I’ve heard good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

atsignatsign

Established Member
Is it actually grinding going into gear or is it a grinding "sound"?

Either the synchros are failing to stop the gears from aligning during a shift causing a physical grind, or they arent.

Car only has 26k miles....If you've had the clutch, synchros, AND trans replaced, i find it hard to believe the car is still grinding going into gear?

Could it be something else making this sound? Try harder to get some video of it. Use a mic on your GoPro if you have to.

It goes into gear just fine so i think its just a sound - the issue appears to not exist when the car is warming up in the morning but after about 10 mins and on the sound just gets louder and louder as you shift into 2nd. When its 100+ degrees here in california its really loud all the the time

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If this is a constant sound, it's not the synchros. A bad synchronizer will cause a momentary grind changing gears. What you're describing could be bad needle bearings in the transmission. Do you have the transmission cooler in your car?

Beercules

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread