See Through Engine - 4K Slow Motion Visible Combustion

coposrv

Established Member
Pretty bad ass. Using the different fuels and how they burned was cool. We all know how this stuff works but seeing it in action especially slowed down to this extent is a rare opportunity. Good thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imatk

Established Member
The thing that interested me... and I'm sure you guys can help me with this... the piston seemed to cycle twice between firing.

So for every ignition there were two cycles.

I don't know if this is because it's a single-piston motor, but for say a v8 does the piston cycle twice between each firing or is it once?

I always assumed it was once.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Yea, I noticed that as well.

The thing that interested me... and I'm sure you guys can help me with this... the piston seemed to cycle twice between firing.

I don't know if this is because it's a single-piston motor, but for say a v8 does the piston cycle twice between each firing or is it once?

08mojo

Established Member

A two stroke fires everytime the piston comes up, or crankshaft rotates once. A four stroke, this and our car engines, fires every other time the piston comes up--or two rotations of the crank.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

4-Stroke-Engine-with-airflows.gif

4 stroke.

I hope that gif works.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member

The 4 cycle engine has indeed 4 strokes. Intake, compression, combustion and exhaust.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
One thing that might be confusing to some of you is the spark plug firing on every cycle. That's a waste spark ignition system and is often done for emissions control and simplicity sake.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Great info. I tried to explain 2 stroke vs 4 stroke to a guy one time and completely watched his whole life fall apart in front of my own eyes. Then I tried to explain the different types of rotary combustion engines and I think I just pissed him off.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
very cool vid, even slowed down that far it still takes place pretty damned quick. I was wondering if the spark on every revolution was just for simplicity sake, didnt realize thats what waste spark was

Imatk

Established Member
Thanks very much for the gif... totally makes sense now... and yeah I was kind of confused as to why the spark was firing every time as well... "The more you know"

Users who are viewing this thread