Seized slave cylinder/Clutch?

11Shelby500

Established Member
Im trying to bleed my clutch and as soon as I start to build some pressure the 90' degree fitting pops off the slave cylinder. I have fully inspected the clip and fitting and it does not seem to be the problem. Im guessing the only thing that could cause this if the slave cylinder is somehow seized or the pressure plate/clutch wont engage?? I have literally held my hand on the fitting as my friend pumped the clutch and it still would pop off… Here is my back story leading up to this issue as I made a huge mistake that could clearly be my issue:

-1 year ago I installed Long tube headers, mcleod rxt clutch, steel braided clutch line with 90 degree connector and an aftermarket slave cylinder. (Needed the aftermarket slave because my clutch was for the 05-09 shelbys but could be used on my 2011 with a different slave cylinder) The new clutch worked great and broke it in correctly within the first 500 miles. Everything worked great except it sometimes would squeak for a second when I put it into first gear when it was cold. Other than that it worked great.

So for the last 6 months my car has been up on jack stands as I have changed out pretty much every suspension part with a bmr adjustable suspension part. When I had everything unbuttoned underneath I came up with the bright idea of dropping my transmission and checking the clutch to see why it was making a squeaking noise in 1st gear. Well when I was pulling the transmission I had it fully unbolted, k member loosened with engine titled back and angled down so I could clear the firewall. I had my transmission jack underneath it to support it. I then went inside to look something up on the forums and when I came back after about 30 minutes my floor jack had depressed all the way to the floor and the transmission had nothing to support. MY HEART SANK!! Im thinking I damaged my clutch or input shaft when this happened. I ended up not pulling the transmission and buttoning everything back up. Tested the floor jack after and it would slowly decompress even with no load and everything tightened... What a terrible way to find out I had a faulty floor transmission jack!!

Does anyone have any ideas on anything else I could double check to make sure its not something else?? I started the car in 1st gear with the rear on Jack stands and it runs fine and the tires turn.. Could I have damaged the clutch so bad that the slave cylinder cannot engage the pressure plate and in return builds to much pressure and pops off the 90 degree fitting? Could there be something else that I forgot to check? Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I am really not looking forward to dropping the tranny again and dropping another 1500$ on a clutch and slave. Thanks in advance!!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
When you say the 90 degree fitting is not holding pressure, where exactly is it popping out? Between the slave and the 90*, or the 90* and the clutch line? I can't think of anything your could have done to cause this, other than the line from the slave is not properly lining up with the clip and catching in the grooved recess meant to retain it. There is a black plastic retainer for the slave line at the transmission. If it's not in the right position, it may be keeping that fitting and clip from lining up properly. If your transmission dropped and the splines were still engaged in the clutch disc, I'm not sure it would have caused any damage. I don't think it's possible to bend the pilot shaft. If the clutch slipped back into place without any effort, I don't think it could have messed up the slave. The question I have is why did you remove the clip on the 90* fitting instead of the clutch line on disassembly?

11Shelby500

Established Member
Between the 90 degree fitting and the slave it is popping off. Believe it or not it was actually easier to get to the fitting side near the slave and remove the retaining clip on the 90. I guess I could of removed it from the steel line and left the 90 but not sure how it would cause any issues. Both sides are meant to be removable so I never thought about it.

Its funny you mention the plastic retainer because that was one thing I noticed protruding farther out than I thought it should (at least just from my opinion It looks like it should be almost flush with the tranny housing) I didnt pay too much mind to it because when i push in the 90 degree fitting onto the slave the retaining clip on the 90 snaps into place into the groove. I even gently try to pull it back to see if its locked on. Doesnt come off unless I really try to pull on it and then it pops off.

Yea I know leaving it unsupported is one of the worse things too do when pulling a transmission but I really dont think I could of damaged it with it still engaged and fully seated in the clutch splines even though it was unbolted to the bell housing. :confused: Definitely not the input shaft at least and Im not sure how the clutch splines would be so damaged that it no longer moves the pressure plate. Keep in mind it didnt drop or anything but was definitely unsupported for a good 30 minutes. I really regret not putting at least one bolt back or push it back up and reinstall the tranny k member with 2 bolts temporarily. I had to mention that dilemma because it definitely could be the issue and also in part I still feel like an idiot..

Only idea I have is waiting for the wife to get home later. I have an inspection camera im going to stick into a hole in the bellhousing and see if the slave moves at all..

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can pop it off by hand with the clip engaged, somethings either wrong with the 90*, the clip or the slave end that goes into the fitting. I have ordered the 90* fitting before, so I know they are available separately.

11Shelby500

Established Member
Yea it comes off by hand but it definitely take a bit of force to do. I inspected the retaining clip too but it looks fine. Im not sure how much back pressure a slave cylinder has under normal operation. Considering the 90 is plastic I wouldnt think it would take an incredible amount of pressure to move the slave. But I am going to replace the 90 just to eliminate the possibility...

Users who are viewing this thread