Servicing Rear Supercharger bearings

Fallinggator

I wanted to add this to hopefully prevent some people from making a huge and costly mistake. There are a few things in this forum that I want to address.

1) Please do not use the needle bearing removal method that involves drilling a hole in the casing to pump grease in there to remove the bearings. It is entirely unnecessary. Not to mention that this method requires as many special tools as the proper method. Check out the video on youtube from Jon Bond Performance. It is a great video on how to perform this process. Basically you just use a collet puller, a metal plate with a hole in it, and a few other random bits. It's very easy, and it removes the bearings without any damage to the supercharger housing.

2) Realize that removing the rotor pack is very simple, but reinstalling it properly is NOT EASY. Improperly installing the rotor pack WILL CAUSE COMPLETE SC DESTRUCTION. The rotor pack needs to be installed and realigned to within .001" tolerances. It is not impossible to do, but you do need to find detailed information on properly aligning and setting the clearances for the rotors. IF you do this, then realize that you ARE RISKING MAJOR DAMAGE. Also, this information is not easy to find. I have been looking quite thoroughly, and so far the closest I've found is a pdf for a P857 SC. I will post it, but I caution against using this as your only guide for performing this procedure:

http://www.paragontrailer.com/products/image/data/pdf/P857 Blower Service Manual 05-01-14 B.pdf

Here is the link for proper removal of the rear needle bearings as well:

SVTF

Established Member
I'm looking for more info on this. I'm pretty sure my rear rotor bearings are bad. I've found the rebuild kits. But I am in need of a procedure on how to remove the bearings. Seems the video above has been removed. Any help/info is appreciated.

Fallinggator

I'm looking for more info on this. I'm pretty sure my rear rotor bearings are bad. I've found the rebuild kits. But I am in need of a procedure on how to remove the bearings. Seems the video above has been removed. Any help/info is appreciated.

That's unfortunate...and a bit surprising. I posted that link just a month or two ago. I'd suggest checking the actual website for Jon Bond Performance. That's who posted the video. Unfortunately, the video just shows the removal of the bearing. It does not show how to properly realign and set the clearance for the rotor packs, and they need to be within .001". From what I remember the video you basically crack open the bearing; use needle nose pliers and a magnetic pick-up tool to pull out the bits; and at this point you are left with just the outer race. He then used a tool that he basically built to remove that. It was something like a collette puller welded to a bolt or something like that. I unfortunately don't remember exactly. He said in the video that he was considering selling the tool, so you could always call the company. I'd be willing to bet he'd make you one. The problem though is what do you do now? You've got the bearing out. The new bearings drop in pretty easily. But how do you get the rotor packs aligned? The closest I've found to anything describing this procedure is that pdf file I posted, and that is not for an Eaton SC. I'm also not sure that's the entire procedure. If anyone out there does know the procedure I'd really love to hear from you. This is the only thing I haven't been able to find, and the only thing keeping me from completely redoing my SC. I just went with changing out the coupler bearing which solved the problem for my SC, but eventually I'll need to rebuild the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread