Shifter rattle at idle and rear diff free play.

olympic

Established Member
Anyone else's shifter rattle like this at idle? I just pulled the clutch out and nothing was broken or unusual so the sound must be coming from inside the trans.

Also, is this much free play in the rear diff normal? The parking brake is on and the trans is in neutral. I'm probably going to pull the diff out and have it looked at this winter because it just seems excessive to me.

olympic

Established Member
OK thanks! The car has 50k miles and isn't abused so I wasn't sure what to think about the diff.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Has the shifter ever been removed/re-installed? Are you sure the 4 bolts holding down the shifter are tight?

olympic

Established Member
I just pulled the trans for a clutch install and yes the shifter bolts were tight. It's a near new Steeda Tri-Ax so there's no play in it. The sound seems to originate inside the trans and then gets transmitted into the cabin via the shifter. I'm almost sure it's being caused by a combination of the rough idle and a small amount free play (backlash) in the trans because the noise goes away once it's above idle. I also get a similar noise out of the blower at idle once it's good and hot and it sounds horrible, like a bottom end rod knock! Increasing the idle to 1000RPM may be the cure, I'll have to try it once it's back together.

I'll also be opening the trans to replace the TOB retainer sleeve so it'll be a good opportunity to check over the trans internals.

Users who are viewing this thread