short throw shifter

ef8

Established Member
i thought about getting a short shifter but i was told that here bad for the tranny...

so i was thinkin about cutting it down.. i did it on my delsol once an just got a different shift knob. that the knob has screws to hold on the knob..

brapple

Established Member
i thought about getting a short shifter but i was told that here bad for the tranny...

right ... :bash:

so why would cutting the stock shifter be any better for the transmission then a short shifter? that is all the B&M is, a shortened stock shifter ....

what could be bad is if the cable are out of adjustment, but that can happen with stock also ...

ef8

Established Member
ok well i think it came out wrong.. i wanna shorter shifter not throw.... i thought short shifters are short shifters cause the bottom of the shifter is longer to make it a shorter throw....
again i dont need any asshole comments. if im wrong im wrong so dont be a dick ok thanks guys...

brapple

Established Member
ok well i think it came out wrong.. i wanna shorter shifter not throw.... i thought short shifters are short shifters cause the bottom of the shifter is longer to make it a shorter throw....
again i dont need any asshole comments. if im wrong im wrong so dont be a dick ok thanks guys...

yes you are correct, a true short throw shifter is longer below the pivot point to make the shift shorter.

now a B&M shifter is reduced in length above the pivot point. This is the only change from stock. You can cut the stock shifter to get the same effect but you will lose the reverse lockout.

now a Steeda Tri-ax from a Focus (non-svt focus with mtx75) is a true short shifter. It is longer below the pivot point and is shorter above the pivot point. However it isn't as short as the B&M. Now because the shifter is longer below the pivot it isn't a direct install. If you install it the shifter will hit the floor. so you use a raiser plate for 98 to mid 99. This will space the shifter higher and allow it to work. On the mid 99 to 2ks the shift tower is different and you need to remove it from the car and install a different kind of spacer/raiser plate to make it work.

loc0gring0

Established Member
yes you are correct, a true short throw shifter is longer below the pivot point to make the shift shorter.

now a B&M shifter is reduced in length above the pivot point. This is the only change from stock. You can cut the stock shifter to get the same effect but you will lose the reverse lockout.

now a Steeda Tri-ax from a Focus (non-svt focus with mtx75) is a true short shifter. It is longer below the pivot point and is shorter above the pivot point. However it isn't as short as the B&M. Now because the shifter is longer below the pivot it isn't a direct install. If you install it the shifter will hit the floor. so you use a raiser plate for 98 to mid 99. This will space the shifter higher and allow it to work. On the mid 99 to 2ks the shift tower is different and you need to remove it from the car and install a different kind of spacer/raiser plate to make it work.

whoa your everywhere!!!!!!!!! i wanna run the turbo car hahaha ill vid the whole thing lol

ef8

Established Member

well i just wanted to get some opinions an to see if anyone else has done it before on THEIR car... since it does have the reverse lock...

again the only reason for shortng the top part of the shifter is to keep it stock but have a shorter throw since if you cut the top part of it you'll get the same feeling...

brapple

Established Member
I am using a B&M in my SVT at the moment and do like it but find its alittle short. being 6'1" I sit way back from the wheel so its alittle bit of a stretch to reach it. I have a Steeda Tri-ax in my SeVT-T and its a better height for me.

but then again anything is better then stock

darknightcobra

REALTOR
Established Member
so can we buy the b&m directly through there website because when i searched nothing came up on there site for our cars.....and with the steeda shifter, is any1 fabing the riser plates for 2k's?

brapple

Established Member
so can we buy the b&m directly through there website because when i searched nothing came up on there site for our cars.....and with the steeda shifter, is any1 fabing the riser plates for 2k's?

whos web site? B&M are sold all over the net and ebay the last I knew.

as for the 2k raiser plate, not as of this time. I have yet to do it but some have used plexiglas to close off the floor. what is going on with the 2k shift towers is there is a plastic cover and foam on the bottom to seal to the bottom of the car. to get the clearence you need to remove that and then still seal up the hole in the floor.

brapple

Established Member

brapple

Established Member

you might need to search for the focus instead. al long as the focus listed has a mtx75 then the shifter is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread