MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey guys! I just wanted to share my recent unpleasant experience snapping my stock idlers. Call me ignorant foolish whatever but I still had stock idlers on my 03 Cobra with 40K miles running a TVS. Two of the idlers (aux idler and middle idler) were moto blue but the others were stock.

Well as I was driving down the road accelerating in 1st gear and eased into the throttle I built maybe 5 PSI of boost the battery light came on. I figured I blew another alternator so I just kept going (10 minutes from home) in order to make it home on battery power.

I was surprised to find my belt cut in a few pieces and the bottom idler exploded.

Luckily the idler and belt didn't take out any important lines down there (a/c or power steering). So I picked up two Billet Metco Idlers.

When I went to go throw them in with my new belt the head on the bolt snapped.

So long story short... REPLACE YOUR STOCK IDLERS. And if you find yourself in the same situation with a snapped bolt.... Find a friend who likes to fix that kind of stuff. Because when bolts snap on me I'm done Lol.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, this has been a topic for many years. People are playing with fire running those stock idlers. I had double bearing metcos with just a Eaton and a 2.8 upper.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can I put your video on my website? In my Terminator FAQs? My Terminator FAQs are a sticky here on SVTP, too. I'm a big believer in replacing the factory stamped steel idlers ASAP, like you.

94slowbra1

Established Member
like stated above, this has been a topic of discussion for a while with many asking why they should be replaced. well unfortunately you are the case. the supercharger belt and pulleys are under a tremendous load, especially when an aftermarket blower is installed. to me i just isnt worth not doing the small things. people spend all kings of $$$ adding power but overlook all the foundation pieces that keep it reliable.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
You guys are making me worry about mine now. Can anybody tell me which ones to buy that won't change the tune and can just be swapped out w the factory ones and keep everything else the same

94slowbra1

Established Member
none will change the tune, the blower will still be spinning the same speed. the only thing that will need to be switched possibly will be the blower belt depending on what size idlers you get.
if it were me i would opt for the metco double bearings first then the billetflow ones next. after that they are all the same.
i have the metco double bearing for two reasons: they have the dual bearing for better support and metco makes all other pulleys for these cars (crank, alt, blower idlers, serp idlers ect...) so i can have all matching pieces.

choate

Established Member
none will change the tune, the blower will still be spinning the same speed. the only thing that will need to be switched possibly will be the blower belt depending on what size idlers you get.
if it were me i would opt for the metco double bearings first then the billetflow ones next. after that they are all the same.
i have the metco double bearing for two reasons: they have the dual bearing for better support and metco makes all other pulleys for these cars (crank, alt, blower idlers, serp idlers ect...) so i can have all matching pieces.

Thanks man. It already has the double bearing aux Metco 90mm. Is this a fairly quick/easy swap to do?

94slowbra1

Established Member
if you already have the metco aux idler then just buy the other 3 to match. the single bearing is a nice upgrade too and is a little cheaper than the double.
its a straight forward install. just make sure you have a belt routing diagram for when you are done

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks man. It already has the double bearing aux Metco 90mm. Is this a fairly quick/easy swap to do?
It's very easy to do, just don't over tighten them. I ended up snapping a bolt, and had to remove the whole bridge.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Definitely go Metco double. I have or had Billetflow, UPR, and Metco double. The Metco double bearing as easily the best design. The stock idlers are such junk I can't believe they were used in the first place. Definitely was a cost cutting corner by SVT\Ford.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
Gotta do it, first thing I bought as a new owner

f882c3f75ba5791f5bae12303f479453.jpg

choate

Established Member
I've already got the 90MM aux idler. So it looks like I'd need three 100mm ones now? that's how this kit lists it? either one 100mm and three 90s or one 90 and three 100mm. Can someone advise? I emailed Malcom to see if he can advise and hook me up so I can order through him but he hasn't checked his PM's yet.
http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCI-KIT

94slowbra1

Established Member
I've already got the 90MM aux idler. So it looks like I'd need three 100mm ones now? that's how this kit lists it? either one 100mm and three 90s or one 90 and three 100mm. Can someone advise? I emailed Malcom to see if he can advise and hook me up so I can order through him but he hasn't checked his PM's yet.
http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCI-KIT
I run the 3 100's and 1 90 on my car. I have them set up like billetflow does. 100mm aux idler and the 90mm down to the left

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Replacing the stock stamped idlers should be one of the first mods to these cars. They have been known to grenade and this has been a subject that has been discussed on here for years.

Users who are viewing this thread