So I lost to a G35 coupe 6 speed on the highway....in my HCI 5.0

helldiver14

Established Member
The title explains it all, running from a 40 mph roll on the highway. Didn't want to race, but he wouldnt shut up, so I told him I would run once and thats it. Now I look like a beotch :rolling: heres all my mods:
1994 AODE 5.0 HCI
-Performer 1.90 heads
-TFS 1 Cam
-Typhoon U/L Intake
-24# Injectors
-Shorty Headers
-Shift Kit
-Full Exhaust
-4.10 rear end
-Dyno Tuned
-My buddy who drives a Mini in the front seat
Him:
-Lowered (dragging balls)
-Big wheels
-Ricer Exhaust
-High School sweetheart in the front seat (My passenger was better...)

WTF MATE?! Why did this happen!

2013GT'ed

Established Member
That sucks man. Probably should of went from a dig. Funny you should post this as I just slaughtered a supposedly fbo g35 from a 20 roll. He was running his mouth hard. Of course I'm in a 2013 gt so there's that.

helldiver14

Established Member
That sucks man. Probably should of went from a dig. Funny you should post this as I just slaughtered a supposedly fbo g35 from a 20 roll. He was running his mouth hard. Of course I'm in a 2013 gt so there's that.

Sounds like I should send him over to Washington :rockon:

JcwMini

Might have something to do with the fact that his car is faster than yours and/or he is a better driver. I have been told that those factors make a difference.

Its a Highway run and the mustang is auto... all you do is mash the floor and go straight? no skill is involved here. The VQ motor likes to rev out the pull hard in the higher rpms I think at a red light race the mustang would win if you could wheel spin down.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
The title explains it all, running from a 40 mph roll on the highway. Didn't want to race, but he wouldnt shut up, so I told him I would run once and thats it. Now I look like a beotch :rolling: heres all my mods:
1994 AODE 5.0 HCI
-Performer 1.90 heads
-TFS 1 Cam
-Typhoon U/L Intake
-24# Injectors
-Shorty Headers
-Shift Kit
-Full Exhaust
-4.10 rear end
-Dyno Tuned
-My buddy who drives a Mini in the front seat
Him:
-Lowered (dragging balls)
-Big wheels
-Ricer Exhaust
-High School sweetheart in the front seat (My passenger was better...)

WTF MATE?! Why did this happen!

1.your setup needs some rethinking, you had a passenger = more weight, 2 your car is a sluggish aode auto, you need some diffrent gears and a shift kit or a 5 speed or 6 speed manual swap that will drop a good .50-1 second off your time alone.

2. out of the box performer heads arent the greatest, good for 270-300hp at best. (better heads or port work will wake it up a good 30+hp

3.tfs cam is on the very small side.

4. typhoon intake sucks, better off getting a holley or trickflow or a ported intake( is your lower intake ported / gasket match the heads?) that can make a big diffrence in flow and horsepower for such a minor thing.

shorty headers are alright over stock, but you will benefit from long tubes.

it says your car is tuned what did it make? prob 270rwhp if i had to guess, change the things i said above it could make a good 40+rwhp diffrence.

and last but not least 4.10 gears in an auto from a roll is not a exactly a sweet spot lol. a set of 3.73 gears and 5 speed manual would wake that car up from a roll.

helldiver14

Established Member
1.your setup needs some rethinking, you had a passenger = more weight, 2 your car is a sluggish aode auto, you need some diffrent gears and a shift kit or a 5 speed or 6 speed manual swap that will drop a good .50-1 second off your time alone.

2. out of the box performer heads arent the greatest, good for 270-300hp at best. (better heads or port work will wake it up a good 30+hp

3.tfs cam is on the very small side.

4. typhoon intake sucks, better off getting a holley or trickflow or a ported intake( is your lower intake ported / gasket match the heads?) that can make a big diffrence in flow and horsepower for such a minor thing.

shorty headers are alright over stock, but you will benefit from long tubes.

it says your car is tuned what did it make? prob 270rwhp if i had to guess, change the things i said above it could make a good 40+rwhp diffrence.

and last but not least 4.10 gears in an auto from a roll is not a exactly a sweet spot lol. a set of 3.73 gears and 5 speed manual would wake that car up from a roll.

Hahaha my car is making 270 to the wheels on a Mustang Dyno! Would you say the most limiting thing on my car is the AODE? I've heard it was the transmission in the F-150's of that era which means power sapping. Also, would you suggest if I change heads to moving up to a 2.02 port vs. the 1.90 I have now?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Hahaha my car is making 270 to the wheels on a Mustang Dyno! Would you say the most limiting thing on my car is the AODE? I've heard it was the transmission in the F-150's of that era which means power sapping. Also, would you suggest if I change heads to moving up to a 2.02 port vs. the 1.90 I have now?

a set of afr heads or trickflows / ported heads will benefit alot, you can always port yours or just sell your current heads and put that $ towards a new set, and a larger cam, I run a set of ported trickflow heads and intake and a decent size comp cam i put down 360rwhp n/a on a dynojet, which is still around 320-340rwhp on a mustang dyno. you run a better set of afr or trickflow heads, it would be more in the 300-320rwhp range.

yes your tranny is deff power robbing big time, its prob another 5% loss in power to the wheels vs the 5 speed manual.

I would say with a set of long tubes, port your heads and a manual it would put down on a mustang dyno prob 280-290rwhp. on a dynojet 300+rwhp. you can always get a new larger cam/ better heads and add on another 20-30+rwhp ontop of that #.

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
OP, you need to step up you game BRO. Shit I stopped reading at 24lbs injectors lol... My lawnmower is pushing 50lbs injectors. lol

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Your money would be best spent on an on3 turbo kit. It will put you right at the power level where any higher would break stuff. Autos love a turbo---maybe a shift kit as well. Otherwise, mustangmanjeff's post is spot-on. Your combination is not thought out well for what you're looking to do. there are so many options for foxes that it's easy to throw a bunch of shit parts together and end up with something that doesn't run what it should on paper.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I think some 3.27 gears and a On3 twin turbo setup would solve a lot, if not all, of your issues of being slow. Lol

No offense, but without a power adder of some kind, be it nitrous, a turbo or a blower, your 1994 Mustang just isn't going to be competitive with the cars of today. That's the only reason I left 2Vs, despite my tremendous love for them.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
OP...I started in the 94/95 world. I feel your pain. However, there is hope. I was right at 500 HP (without the spray) when I was done. Of course it all depends on how much you want to pay. I agree with the others that your combo is a bit "parts bin." There are SO MANY better parts out there that will make huge differences for pretty cheap.

Or you could hit it with a 200 shot and call it a day...and it will cost a bunch less than engine mods.

helldiver14

Established Member
a set of afr heads or trickflows / ported heads will benefit alot, you can always port yours or just sell your current heads and put that $ towards a new set, and a larger cam, I run a set of ported trickflow heads and intake and a decent size comp cam i put down 360rwhp n/a on a dynojet, which is still around 320-340rwhp on a mustang dyno. you run a better set of afr or trickflow heads, it would be more in the 300-320rwhp range.

yes your tranny is deff power robbing big time, its prob another 5% loss in power to the wheels vs the 5 speed manual.

I would say with a set of long tubes, port your heads and a manual it would put down on a mustang dyno prob 280-290rwhp. on a dynojet 300+rwhp. you can always get a new larger cam/ better heads and add on another 20-30+rwhp ontop of that #.

Can you PM me on how you got to 360 rwhp. I've been told that my car would benefit hugely from a 3200 Stall. Thanks!

VadersSVT

Established Member
lol at the mods. should have stuck iron gt40s on that and a nice nitrous cam, I used a comp cam. get a trick flow intake and spray the house down. my sbe 5.0 ran awesome with a t5 ran high 11s on a OEM clutch before I pulled everything to go 351w with s480 turbo. spray it.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Can you PM me on how you got to 360 rwhp. I've been told that my car would benefit hugely from a 3200 Stall. Thanks!

I run a 306 with 10 to 1 compression, set of ported trickflow heads, ported gasket matched trickflow trackheat intake, 30lb injectors 75mm tb, full bolt ons long tubes, big comp cam. 320-350rwhp is around what setups like my make. some make more some make less you want anymore then that you would need a stroker or even bigger heads/ compression, I regret not getting bigger heads and cam and going stroker route to late now, I would be much happier with 400+rwhp though :(

Inb0ost

Established Member
^+1 on the boost. You can probably pick-up a used kit anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 depending on setup and if intercooled or not. I have a 2v 99 GT running around 8-9lbs of boost and puts out a safe 370rwhp. It's a non-intercooled kit and ran me around $1800 for everything.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
My 92 made 310whp 299wtq thru a non lockup aod. It was a h/i/c car that went 11.80 at 115.9 in good d/a.

Rpm2 intake,75mm throttle body, anderson power pipe, 80mm maf
Ported edelbrock performers with 1.90 intake
Anderson n51hr cam
Full exhaust
Aod
3.73 gears
Est 3000lb race weight

Your race weight was probably 600lbs heavy from my run. Time to cut some weight or add some power

Users who are viewing this thread