Some different clutch and flywheel weights

SCalla1384

Established Member
o I have a stock clutch assembly, mcleod and spec in my garage. Decided to weigh them.*

Stock

Clutch - 24.6lbs*
Flywheel - 21.6lbs
Total - 46.2lbs

Spec 2+ with Billet Steel flywheel

Clutch - 23.6lbs
Flywheel - 20.8lbs
Total - 44.4lbs

McLeod RXT with Lightened steel flywheel

Clutch - 23.8lbs
Flywheel - 20.4lbs
Total - 44.2lbs

So to my surprise, these setups aren't much lighter than factory. I heard, mcleod with lightened steel was 9lbs lighter and aluminum it was 17 lbs lighter. Clearly, not true. Not even close.*

McLeod is light because the size of the pressure plate and discs. Being a twin disc, you can cover more surface area (more holding power) with 2 smaller discs versus 1 big disc.*

Also, I thought specs billet steel flywheel would be a few lbs heavier than mcleods lightened steel. But only 0.4lbs so that was a nice surprise.*

For the ultimate NA power guy, not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money, imo go with a spec 2+ with their billet aluminum pressure plate option. Adds $289 to the price, but spec claims 7lbs less. Which is a HUGE amount on a pressure plate. $289 for ~10rwhp is a big gain in the na world. And also, an aluminum flywheel. Not ideal for drag racing but it'll work. Not sure how much lighter aluminum is versus steel, can't take everyrhing you read serious. There is also very serious lightweight clutch setups out there. But, they aren't cheap. But if I had to guess, I'd say 3-5lbs.*

Hope some of this info helps.*

Shaun@AED

That's some good data Shawn.
Keep in mind it's also very important where the weight is placed when it comes to the flywheel/pressure plate.
If one unit has all the weight on the outer edge vs another keeping the weight at the center, the advantage goes to the unit with the weight in the center.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Thanks. What I did was weigh myself. Digital scale, made sure about 3 times, then held the pressure plate and flywheel. I then again made sure about 3 different times. I tried holding the flywheel or pressure plate on different spots, but was all the same.

chao5.0

Established Member
the RAM 9.5 dual disc with aluminum flywheel is said to be a total of 10lbs. lighter than the stock setup, I find that reasonable to believe because it reduces weight and size. for N/A I wouldn't stay stock size with a multi disc setup, its not needed, a N/A setup will never make the kind of big numbers FI does.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Same results I got with weighing a stock setup and the RXT setup. I was under the impression it was a good amount lighter. But was disappointed.

beef97

Established Member
I know that for DD and drag racing, it's not optimal to go too light on the flywheel but does the weight of the pressure plate get factored into this equation? For instance, if I go with the stock weight flywheel but add an aluminum pressure plate, does that count towards reducing the amount of inertia transferred to the wheels when letting off of the clutch? I hope my question is clear! Thanks for any responses!

SCalla1384

Established Member
the RAM 9.5 dual disc with aluminum flywheel is said to be a total of 10lbs. lighter than the stock setup, I find that reasonable to believe because it reduces weight and size. for N/A I wouldn't stay stock size with a multi disc setup, its not needed, a N/A setup will never make the kind of big numbers FI does.

I honestly can't believe it unless someone records the weight. What's said and what's true are usually different. I had heard from a few people my mcleod and lightened steel flywheel setup is around 8lbs lighter than stock. But that 8lbs is a far cry from the 2 lbs I recorded.

Same results I got with weighing a stock setup and the RXT setup. I was under the impression it was a good amount lighter. But was disappointed.

Yup exactly. Another thing I heard from a very popular vendor is mcleods lightened steel flywheel is 7lbs lighter than factory, and aluminum is another 7lbs. Not even remotely close. So, who knows what the aluminum flywheel actually weighs.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I know that for DD and drag racing, it's not optimal to go too light on the flywheel but does the weight of the pressure plate get factored into this equation? For instance, if I go with the stock weight flywheel but add an aluminum pressure plate, does that count towards reducing the amount of inertia transferred to the wheels when letting off of the clutch? I hope my question is clear! Thanks for any responses!

I too have heard it's not ideal. I'd like to know why exactly. I understand the motor revs up and down faster with a lighter flywheel. But, if you're on slicks dumping the clutch, and can shift fast it shouldn't matter. I wouldn't think?

And yes, pressure plate does impact that. Anything rotational mass by the crank affects it. Clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, ring and pinion etc...

chao5.0

Established Member
I honestly can't believe it unless someone records the weight. What's said and what's true are usually different. I had heard from a few people my mcleod and lightened steel flywheel setup is around 8lbs lighter than stock. But that 8lbs is a far cry from the 2 lbs I recorded.

Yup exactly. Another thing I heard from a very popular vendor is mcleods lightened steel flywheel is 7lbs lighter than factory, and aluminum is another 7lbs. Not even remotely close. So, who knows what the aluminum flywheel actually weighs.

yes but you were weighing steel vs steel flywheels, I would have never imagined there being much difference between the 2. I'm talking steel vs aluminum flywheel plus going from a stock size single to a 9.5" dual disc clutch, the reduction in size should save some weight as well as the different materials. I'll be ordering a RAM 9.5" setup soon, probably after I get back from my trip next month and I will weigh them for the difference. not saying it will be the 10lbs as advertised but it will be lighter, I even read some reviews where people have stated they can tell its lighter but they didn't weigh it to see the difference.

beef97

Established Member
Sounds like the billet steel might be the way to go? I'm guessing the billet steel is stronger than the lightened steel one? Any downside to an aluminum pressure plate?

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I run the RXT with the aluminum flywheel. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but as far as daily driving, it seems fine to me.

Eng90

Established Member
if any1 can join to show us how much does the exedy mach 500 with the exedy flywheel weighs ? The mcleod aluminium flywheel weight ?

Gr8 thread .. really usefull thanks for mentioning it out Shaun.

chao5.0

Established Member
Sounds like the billet steel might be the way to go? I'm guessing the billet steel is stronger than the lightened steel one? Any downside to an aluminum pressure plate?

I heard they can be noisier and can't be launched at the drag strip because they don't hold the inertia like a steel flywheel, but I don't drag race so launching a car is of no concern to me.

corysmach1

Established Member
I have the Spec 2+ Hybrid which is the aluminum pressure plate and flywheel. I wish I would have weighed it. I was gonna look into getting an even lighter clutch and flywheel setup this winter.

mhyjek

Established Member
I had a 13 with paxton and tremec setup scalla you bought my old mt82. Anyway I went with a spec twin disc and lightened aluminum flywheel besides having a PITA of getting the TOB shimmed correctly the clutch worked well. It had some noise when you depressed the clutch but no chatter while taking off in 1st. I launched it pretty hard on DRs best was 1.65 60 foot walking it out. I never hard drop since the tires I had. Car shifted well and had probably 30-40 passes on that setup before I sold it. I consistently ran 60s ft around 1.7-1.8, my only gripe was there was not much range on engagement seemed like about 1/2 inch at before have pedal just a tad. It was lighter than stock I'm trying to find the email but my memory tells me around mid 30's the installer weighted and sent me a pic. If centerforce makes the DYAD for the 5.0 I would highly recommend it I have 2 LS friends with it over 750 whp in both setups and it drives like stock and hold pretty good power, if your only drag racing I would then use the non ceramic version but that makes some noise.

corysmach1

Established Member
I'm gonna look into the Spec Mini Twin which is 22lbs for everything. That's 9lbs lighter than the custom one I have now. Quartermaster males one that's supposedly 13lbs with everything.

SCalla1384

Established Member
When I was looking at clutches for my vette, people were running I forget which brand, but it was so light they were getting drivability issues. So that's something to look out for.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
typically we go with the exedy mach 600 and their flywheel for the guys looking for a single setup,

for the guys that want the twin, the rxt with billet flywheel is our most popular, both setups work incredibly well, the rst isn't bad either, if you want a little more slip in the clutch,

pedal feel on both of those are very nice. we tend to stay away from the alum flywheels on either setup they do tend to drop between the shifts more

Users who are viewing this thread