Speedcal issues

96dreamer

Established Member
the dm speedcal does draw power from the cig lighter circuit when keyed off if wired per instructions. You can wire it to a switched 12v source and it will work the same. That being said I think the draw on one of these is very low and shouldn't be draining the battery in a weeks time. Anytime i know the car going to be sitting for a while I hook it up to the trickle charger so i've never had any issues other than this last time from the obd2 adapter when the charger wasn't hooked up.

shurur

Established Member
the dm speedcal does draw power from the cig lighter circuit when keyed off if wired per instructions. You can wire it to a switched 12v source and it will work the same. That being said I think the draw on one of these is very low and shouldn't be draining the battery in a weeks time. Anytime i know the car going to be sitting for a while I hook it up to the trickle charger so i've never had any issues other than this last time from the obd2 adapter when the charger wasn't hooked up.

This is also the case with the '99.
my speedcal was draining the battery after about a week.
Fortunatley I had a switched 12v source via the traction control, as outlined on the miracerros site.
I'd run a piggy back (SWITCHED POWER) fuse line to that module for peace of mind and not having to baby sit it all the time.
Then the speedcal will get a boot every time the key gets turned and be off most of the time. I've had my speedcal in and running since 2007 with no problems.
The eeprom in those modules should be good for at least 100k start-ups before they start to fade or get confused.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Just be aware the new speedcals are NOT extended range and likely will not work in a 96-98 vss to 99-up oss swap. They don't make extended now due to a supply issue or something.

The FRPP one works tho.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

96dreamer

Established Member
Just be aware the new speedcals are NOT extended range and likely will not work in a 96-98 vss to 99-up oss swap. They don't make extended now due to a supply issue or something.

The FRPP one works tho.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
That's actually backwards. They don't make the standard range anymore, only the extended range. The one I just got a few weeks ago is in my car working correctly with an 03 t56

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I called them literally a few months ago and asked and they told me they no longer sold extended ranges... wth lol. Well if it works it works.

96dreamer

Established Member
I think someone may have given you some bad info. The only one listed on their site is the 9910ER. The "ER" standing for extended range.

Users who are viewing this thread