Stance XR1 Coilovers Install & Review

K3nMasters

Established Member
So I have been fortunate in that my friend and track-mate of Touge Factory and Stance USA has offered to sponsor me and my 15' GT PP with a newly designed set of Stance's XR1 Coilovers.

I won't get into too much details, but here is what I have gathered. The XR1 is a single adjustable coilover system, which incorporates an inverted monotone design. This does put the dampening adjustment knob on the bottom, which obviously isn't as convenient as having it on top, but the benefits of the design outweighs the alternatives. They feature 16 levels of dampening and is easily set by a simple twist of their knobs through clicks. The set also includes camber plates for the fronts, which allow up to 4 degrees of adjustments. The front setup is complete and therefore requires no disassembling of the OE spring/strut. This is a big plus as you will not need a spring compressor.

The XR1 rear system takes the OEM approach with a separate spring and shock setup, but I have been told that a true coilover setup is in the works. The shock also allows for 16 levels of adjustment and access is at the top of the shock. An adjustable replacement rear sway-bar end-link is also included with the set.

With testing on the street and track, they have come up with a spring rate of 10k in the front and 15k in the rear. I have been told that different rates are available on request. Ride height can be adjusted up to 4" and the XR1 currently retail for $1295.00 with both the camber plates and rear end-links.

image_zpsv5ri8df4.gif

This is not a full DIY write up, but rather some pointers I found important.

As for the installation, it is pretty much straight forward. Before installation, you want to make sure the front spring is set at zero preload. Once you have locked the spring in place, the height adjustment is controlled by rotating the tube and locked by the bottom collar.

image_zpsy5xyl2jn.gif

I found that installation of the front setup was much easier by removing the brake caliper and rotor as you will need room to hammer out the strut bolts, which are splined and hammered in.

image_zpsqnrxpyxd.gif

Once you have removed the OEM shock, the XR1 is a direct replacement. Make sure you double check the shock bolt on the top of the tube as you should never assume anything.

image_zpscl4nfgwe.gif

As for the rears, you do need to remove the 4 subframe bolts in order to get the OEM spring out of it's perch. This means you need to support the rear subframe before you begin.

image_zps0lnx4jxt.gif

After you remove the OEM spring and strut, you need to move the OEM top strut mount onto the XR1 strut. ***DO NOT USE THE OEM STRUT NUT*** I found out what would happen firsthand and had to have Stance rebuild my strut, but their service was nothing short of amazing. They had me in and out in about a hour.

image_zpsxmejjzfy.gif

image_zps1ju4kbhj.gif

Once you move the top mount over, you want to make sure the lower collar of the tube is locked. This collar allows for the strut height adjustment, which will prevent rear wheel lift during hard cornering incase the rear strut reaches max extension. The general rule is once the rear end is reassembled, mount the bottom of the strut first, then adjust the tube height so the top mount is about 1" taller than the original mounting point on the Mustang's body.

image_zpsumpbuwsp.gif

image_zps9dfoanwh.gif

Unfortunately, I forgot to measure the ride height before and after, but here she sits in all her glory! :ford:

image_zpsldzfe3gs.gif

As for dampening and initial ride quality, I went with 10 in the front and 8 in the rear. Honestly, she rides better than stock! Right when I rolled out of the lot, I noticed that the steering felt tighter and I switched the steering mode from 'Sport' to 'Normal'. She feels so well planted on the road and manages the bumps flawlessly. I will wait about 2 weeks for the springs to settle and adjust accordingly, but I don't foresee making any changes. She is not my daily driver so I may bump up the dampening to F12/R10 just for fun, but the real test will come mid-Aug at the track.

I can't wait to see what she can do!

I want to thank Touge Factory and Stance USA for the opportunity. If you are not familiar with either of these organizations, they rock! :first: Most will associate them with the import market, but don't mistake them for being biased. Their old shop manager drives/tracks a 13' GT and the owner drives/tracks a 16' GT PP. The 16' GT PP running the XR1 coilovers took 2nd at the recent GridLife Stock RWD Class only loosing out by a mere 0.04sec to a bolt-on F82 M4.

13010720_10156834784335182_1580649483971192984_n.jpg

Find out more information below.
http://www.stance-usa.com/main/

jfitts23

Established Member
I just got some work done on my car there. very nice shop with lots of high quality race cars in the back.

Lincomac

I ran Stance Pro Comp coilovers. All 4 of my struts blew. They leaked within 1200 miles. If the ride starts getting really comfortable & you have the dampening maxed out, look at the threads & make sure they aren't leaking. I would watch for this regardless.
I put Eibachs on my 2016 GT & need coilovers because the Eibach's aren't cutting it. I just can't trust Stance again. I spent over 2500 on those coils. I had to pay cost, & they gave me new struts. Of course the suspension shop assembled them wrong. I begged Stance to just allow me to send the defective coils back & send me back my springs & hardware on assembled coils, knowing that most any shop would screw it up. I actually said that & the shop left washers & spacers out. Preloaded the spring to hell & smashed the helper. Stance would have to do something amazing to earn me back.

Users who are viewing this thread