Steeda Tri Ax literally glued on to my transmission

DarkRattle

Established Member
I'm trying to put on the hurst short shifter, and I notice that my car has a steeda tri ax on. So I remove all bolts and notice the steeda is literally rock solid on my transmission, idk what the previous owner used as silicon. I grab the most massive pry bar possible and go to work, absolutely did not budge, I literally bent the living crap out of the chassis though. How the heck do I get this off people? Any suggestions? Also feel free to call me an idiot for being a barbarian with the pry bar.

shurur

Established Member
You just seem to have all the luck....can you see anything that is squeezed out from under the shifter?..hope it isn't jb weld or some damn thing.

I would use a wood block and #3 hammer.....maybe gently tap a small screwdriver around the outer edges as well...just don't go too deep and mar the surface.

They make something for bathroom remodeling that will remove caulking. you need to get it to seep under the shifter though.

I'm willing to guess none of us has never used a pry bar, BFH or "crescent hammer" at one time or another, says the guy who winched out the rack from his Audi....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's pretty bad. The most I've had to do was grab the handle and slam it back and forth to break the RTV loose. Hopefully the wood and hammer trick works for you.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DarkRattle

Established Member
You just seem to have all the luck....can you see anything that is squeezed out from under the shifter?..hope it isn't jb weld or some damn thing.

I would use a wood block and #3 hammer.....maybe gently tap a small screwdriver around the outer edges as well...just don't go too deep and mar the surface.

They make something for bathroom remodeling that will remove caulking. you need to get it to seep under the shifter though.

I'm willing to guess none of us has never used a pry bar, BFH or "crescent hammer" at one time or another, says the guy who winched out the rack from his Audi....
I just see silicon. I'll go to work again today... yeah you have no idea about my luck, I'm glad recently it's only been bad with the Car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd be shocked if the owner used a permanent weld-type sealer. Regular sealer can harden over time, making it difficult to jar the shifter loose. Gentle, sharp taps on the handle base usually frees the shifter.

This pain in the butt issue is why it's so much easier to use one of my shifter gasket kits. No silicone sealer is used. Easy removal if you need to remove the shifter.

Keep us posted.

Dave.O

Established Member
heat gun
whether silicone or epoxy heat gun it a few times. if epoxy it will cause it to over-cure and embrittle. if silicone is will cause it to become less rigid and and more pliable
when you do get it off I recommend using one of Bob's shifter gaskets, I have them on both my T56's, way easier to work with than sealer when reinstalling shifter

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Sit in the middle of the back seat and kick the shifter with your foot. works everytime, otherwise i get a Big hammer and smash at the handle of it until it falls off.

DarkRattle

Established Member
heat gun
whether silicone or epoxy heat gun it a few times. if epoxy it will cause it to over-cure and embrittle. if silicone is will cause it to become less rigid and and more pliable
when you do get it off I recommend using one of Bob's shifter gaskets, I have them on both my T56's, way easier to work with than sealer when reinstalling shifter
I got a blow torch but I'm scared I'll set the car on fire.

DarkRattle

Established Member
Sit in the middle of the back seat and kick the shifter with your foot. works everytime, otherwise i get a Big hammer and smash at the handle of it until it falls off.
just put it in third and kick it lol? Won't that damage anything?

DarkRattle

Established Member
Somebody give this man a cookie.... I sat in the back seat and RAMMED my foot to the shifter and bam it came off. Why are you on the SVT forums and not designing the cure for cancer you genius sir?

96gt02

Established Member
Go underneath your car with that pry bar and a hammer and hit upward on a corner of the shifter from underneath and it should break loose, happened to me a few times.

Dave.O

Established Member
Heat gun not torch.... I would not recommend open flame that close to console
Heat fun is how you break up cured epoxy and high strength loctite

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Somebody give this man a cookie.... I sat in the back seat and RAMMED my foot to the shifter and bam it came off. Why are you on the SVT forums and not designing the cure for cancer you genius sir?

hahah glad it worked for you!! and i ask myself the same questions but here i sit and type.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread