Stock hood best blower---TVS2650, KB3.2, Gen3 Whipple 2.9?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm really hoping to give a direct comparison on a ported Gen2R TVS 2.3 swapped to the new VMP 2650 on the same day, but with availability and cost TBD, I've been thinking of the screw options.
So, 2 basic questions:
1) do they all actually fit stock hood (I removed blanket)?
2) most power and torque--what say you for power champ?
Here's for winter bench racing :)
-J

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Not on your list, but under the stock hood on my 2014, Whipple 3.4
Required a engine lowering kit, ( JDM ), & a hood blanket mod on my part.
Food for thought..
Hood_Blanket_Modification_005.jpg

Last edited:

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Hard to say just yet. I'll have my Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 installed by the end of the month. Will see back to back comparison to Gen 2 version on 93 pump gas. Also planning an E85 tune for maximum hp on stock motor. I would have to guess that the Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 and VMP 2650 will perform relatively similarly but we won't know without multiple real world implementations. I prefer the look of the Whipple units and have had great luck in the past with them. I had a Whipple 3.4 back in 2008 on my 2007 GT500 but having to lower the K-member to fit under stock hood left something to be desired with the front suspension/feel afterwards. Plus the bigger blowers are heavier so if you can stay smaller to achieve your goal I think it makes more sense. My $.02

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Not on your list, but under the stock hood on my 2014, Whipple 3.4
Required a engine lowering kit, ( JDM ), & a hood blanket mod on my part.
Food for thought..
View attachment 1456229
Yes, that was also on my radar also.
I already have a BMR K-member with lowering mounts (I forget how much they lower.
I'd probably say the 3.2KB would make the most power, it has the 4.7 rotors cut down to fit in the bored out 2.8 case, said to make same power as the 3.6KB until over 22psi.
My tuner is Whipple guy and likes the 3.4 idea.
I'm still planning on the TVS2650, but have to at least price alternatives.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to say just yet. I'll have my Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 installed by the end of the month. Will see back to back comparison to Gen 2 version on 93 pump gas. Also planning an E85 tune for maximum hp on stock motor. I would have to guess that the Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 and VMP 2650 will perform relatively similarly but we won't know without multiple real world implementations. I prefer the look of the Whipple units and have had great luck in the past with them. I had a Whipple 3.4 back in 2008 on my 2007 GT500 but having to lower the K-member to fit under stock hood left something to be desired with the front suspension/feel afterwards. Plus the bigger blowers are heavier so if you can stay smaller to achieve your goal I think it makes more sense. My $.02
Good point. Like the KB3.2/3.6 examples I'd assume the Gen3 2.9 will meet the 3.4 up to a certain boost level.
I'm waiting on your results, get that thing on the dyno already :)
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm really interested to see how the Gen 3 2.9 whipples do, but I have faith that the new VMP TVS2650 is going to be a bad bitch.

Now me and my personal preference I love the 3.6 KB, the look and sound and the power is perfect. But it's a lot of blower and you can't really make it work under the stock hood. I wish the Shelby 1000 hood's would come down in price.

Having said all that, I would either go with the Gen 3 whipple or the VMP TVS2650.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the S1000 hood but I'd think the 3.2 is a good compromise if it matches the 3.6 up to 22psi right?
I'd think right about 20-22psi would be what I'd expect to run.
I haven't read too many results 3.2 though.
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have KB 3.2 with stock hood and motor mounts. No dyno yet but I like it. If I had a first rate body shop here I would have went Shelby 1000 hood and 3.6

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the S1000 hood but I'd think the 3.2 is a good compromise if it matches the 3.6 up to 22psi right?
I'd think right about 20-22psi would be what I'd expect to run.
I haven't read too many results 3.2 though.
-J
I think you'll make the power you want with a 3.2 KB, I just like the 3.6 KB size.
I have KB 3.2 with stock hood and motor mounts. No dyno yet but I like it. If I had a first rate body shop here I would have went Shelby 1000 hood and 3.6
very true, the Shelby hoods need a lot of prep work, My old super snake hood was a bitch to get ready for paint lol.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you'll make the power you want with a 3.2 KB, I just like the 3.6 KB size.

very true, the Shelby hoods need a lot of prep work, My old super snake hood was a bitch to get ready for paint lol.

I agree. I think the 3.6 is the better buy. The fitment is issue. With the 3.2 it is motors mounts and done. 3.6 it is motor mounts and something else.

Did not want to do the dropped k member because I was maybe erroneously concerned about driveline and transmission issues combined with dropped motor mounts. I could not find a quality paint shop to paint the Shelby 1000 or Super Snake Hood. Why I went 3.2 but would have went Shelby 1000 and 3.6 in a heartbeat.

jazz

Established Member

Go for the 3.6, just got mine. Not sure yet what hood i’ll go with yet, maybe the cobra r hood...

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
I will see what a 3.2 can do by the end of this year if everything goes as planned.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I'm really interested to see how the Gen 3 2.9 whipples do, but I have faith that the new VMP TVS2650 is going to be a bad bitch.

Now me and my personal preference I love the 3.6 KB, the look and sound and the power is perfect. But it's a lot of blower and you can't really make it work under the stock hood. I wish the Shelby 1000 hood's would come down in price.

Having said all that, I would either go with the Gen 3 whipple or the VMP TVS2650.
Me to, I really wish the Shelby 1000 hood was a lot cheaper. But I need to do something since I still have fitment issues, well my steering shaft still hits the headers. I want to remove the BPS spacer kit to raise engine back up and run the hood.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Me to, I really wish the Shelby 1000 hood was a lot cheaper. But I need to do something since I still have fitment issues, well my steering shaft still hits the headers. I want to remove the BPS spacer kit to raise engine back up and run the hood.
Why not just do the super snake hood, the hood really does look badass in person. I would always get compliments in my old 13 GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread