Strange dyno results - what's wrong??

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Went for a new tune today. After porting the eaton, adding big SCT MAF, BAP and 6# lower with 3.1 upper, my power and torque went down!!???

With 2.8 upper, stock lower and stock eaton I was at 440 RWHP and 470 RWT. I thought for sure I would be around 500/500 with these new mods.

The A/F kept going lean above 5000 RPM in spite of tuner's efforts. Are the stock injectors the problem?? Stock injectors should be good for 500 hp, right? I'm running the BAP at 20% but we got the same results at different settings. We added timing but backed off when we got detonation at higher rpms.

Overall disappointing. Any ideas?

Last edited:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Another bit of data: The (Hilton)boost gauge pegs out at 16 psi really quick. Could I be seriously over spinning the eaton?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
normally Id say when it goes lean up top like that you are pegging the MAF but since you have the SCTMAF but stock injectors ID say you need at least 55# on there..

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
probably the tune. or possibly the person doing the dyno wasnt getting in it.

last time i got my car dynoed i caught the guy taking it easy. he said he was all the way in it but i said look dude i was watching my boost gauge and it barely hit 10 psi.

needless to say the rest of the runs were alot higher and i watched my boost gauge hit 13 on all of them. not to mention i picked up 40hp, freakin liar.

drive your own car on the dyno if at all possible.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
projekZERO said:
or go to a chevy shop to have your car run. They have nothing to gain if you dyno low.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
What were your numbers after the port and 6lb lower? I dont see where you posted it?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
After the port, etc. we got about 430hp and 460tq. Lower than before. I'm thinking maybe the tune? Or what I don't know.

707RIDAH

Established Member

badboy said:
Went for a new tune today. After porting the eaton, adding big SCT MAF, BAP and 6# lower with 3.1 upper, my power and torque went down!!???

With 2.8 upper, stock lower and stock eaton I was at 440 RWHP and 470 RWT. I thought for sure I would be around 500/500 with these new mods.

The A/F kept going lean above 5000 RPM in spite of tuner's efforts. Are the stock injectors the problem?? Stock injectors should be good for 500 hp, right? I'm running the BAP at 20% but we got the same results at different settings. We added timing but backed off when we got detonation at higher rpms.

Overall disappointing. Any ideas?
who did your tune?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Dont fret man, it's in the tune. I have witnessed on the dyno, personally, a car pick up almost 50 hp from a tune. The first tune wasn't bad either, the A/F was nearly identical to the second tune, but the second tune made almost 50 more hp than the 1st. Get the tuned ironed out and you'll be OK!

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Another odd thing: I'm not sure how the BAP is supposed to work but when I increase the BAP setting, the whole A/F curve moves down (to the richer side) across the rpm range. But it still tails up above 5000 rpm, even with the higher BAP settings. Can anyone explain this to me?

predator

Established Member
Linn@AmazonRacing said:
normally Id say when it goes lean up top like that you are pegging the MAF but since you have the SCTMAF but stock injectors ID say you need at least 55# on there..

I would have to agree. I watched a car tuned recently that had the same symptoms you are describing. It was not getting enough fuel. Needed more injector.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
projekZERO said:
probably the tune. or possibly the person doing the dyno wasnt getting in it.

last time i got my car dynoed i caught the guy taking it easy. he said he was all the way in it but i said look dude i was watching my boost gauge and it barely hit 10 psi.

needless to say the rest of the runs were alot higher and i watched my boost gauge hit 13 on all of them. not to mention i picked up 40hp, freakin liar.

Why would the guy be taking it easy on the car?

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Ive just recently been in the same boat. Lots of mods, all good stuff, no power.
Its not injectors, maf, or the parts. It can be clogged cats, bad o2 sensor, bad tank of gas (more water in gas then normal), or the inevitable, crappy tune.

Been there seen that, you wont believe the improvement with the right tune.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can attest to what you can gain or lose with a tune. At one point with a bad SCT tune I lost between 40-45 rwhp. It was super rich. I went back to my Diablo chip and gained it back. So work on the tune. And it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your injectors.

Rwick7

Established Member
$125 for a dyno tune???

I think the tuner may be the problem.

Find a reputable SCT tuner in your area and get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread