street tire shopping

13DIB5.0

Established Member
Well I found a hole in my 275/40r18 Bridgestone re11 street tire and just going to buy two. The question is for street duty and roll racing should I go drag radial? Going to try not to see rain anymore and I've been eyeing the 285/40r18 nto5r and the 305/40r18 555r.i have 18x10s and just looking for something that may actually hook on the street from a 40 and still have decent street manners.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The nt05r will hook good but for that wheel size they are quite expensive.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I believe the best dd tire that also has a good reputation for track performance is the Michelin pilot super sports. Expensive though.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The rain won't be an issue if you are careful. I drive Et street drag radials all the time in Miami rain.

N20D5OH

Established Member
I just purchased 305/40-18 555R's that I'm installing tomorrow. Not cheap at like others said, $335 a piece shipped. I've driven on Nitto's in the rain for years, you just have to be careful as you would with any other tire in quick rwd car. That said, I'm probably grabbing another set of rear wheels with regular tires just so I don't destroy my Nitto's that fast. Considering the cost I can actually get another set of rims and regular tires cheaper

CharlieR

Established Member
I have 305/45/18's with about 8000 miles on them and they still have about 1/3 tread till the wear bars. They ride good, are quiet, and do very well in the rain. The only issue I have is the best 60' I have managed with these has been a 1.69(Yesterday on N20, best N/a is 1.70). They are on AM Repo 18x10's. I've tried tire pressures from 15-25. They just don't work for me "at the track", but they do great as DD's. I wouldn't buy them(I'm giving up on 18's all together for track :() for track duty, but for your description of what you want I think it'd be a good choice.
My tires before these were 265/40/18 M/T's ET Street Radial II's and they did a best 60' of 1.466 and lasted just over 6500(used them 2 weeks at wear bars) dangerous in rain after worn down, but good until then. Would also be a good choice but you'll be changing them after about 6k to be safe in rain.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I had pretty good results with dd duty on conti dw 285/40/18. I tapped a curb and needed a tire, the shop could only get nitto 555 in the size same day so I got those. They aren't bad, but I will be going back to dw for my dd tire. maybe I will go 295/35/18 next time. For fun I have 15's that will have dr. by the spring.

13DIB5.0

Established Member
I will have a 15/275 slick for track duty I'm just looking for something that hooks better than street tires at 40 rolls. All I do now is blow mine off

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I believe the best dd tire that also has a good reputation for track performance is the Michelin pilot super sports. Expensive though.

Just to add my 2 cents to this , I've owned many of the ultra high performance summer tires. The michelin PSS is a good tire however many things to be cautious about with them I had one blowout after a pull to 145 in my evo. Maybe a bad batch but who knows. I have Re11's now great tire my car is still stock with suspension mods and can push them harder than the PSS.

Honestly I would just go to a MT ET Street you get about 6000 miles per set but you'll hook alot better.

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Unless you've actually driven in the rain with NT05r's you have no idea how horrible they are. Wet roads aren't bad, but if the water pools at all, they are terrible! Dry roads, they are amazing though!

Users who are viewing this thread