Suggestions for Drag tire size and wheel to go with it

Cain96

Established Member
I'm looking for advice for a drag tire/wheel setup for a heavily modified 2013 Mustang. I am looking for a drag setup to be used on weekend drag events, and some course racing (mainly drag strip).

I have a set of 19" wheels that came with the brembo upgrade for 2013's.. which I'm currently have winter tires on (live in Michigan and they are "oh crap" tires lol) I also have a set of 20" wheels that I use for street driving and for car shows (20 x 10.5's and 20 x 8.5's)

Most of the forums I've read said 19 and 20's are just too heavy for good track use, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to get a set of just cheap wheels (don't care if they are scuffed), but more importantly, I'm really trying to narrow down the size that is best for my setup.

Here is a list of mods I have that I feel will help more seasoned track vets help me in choosing the right type of wheel/tire combo: (if there is any other info someone would like to better answer the question, please let me know)

1. Sitting at right around 600rwhp
2. Full roush suspension upgrade with 1.5 inch lowering
3. 3.73 gears
4. Auto trans stock torque converter
5. Custom Tuned

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I would go with a 275/60r15 MT pro drag radial on your choice of 15x10" wheel. If you still have the 14" brembos up front, I'd also get a set of 17" front skinnies, usually they're 17x4.5" or so. I think for the money, the JMS wheels are hard to beat. Much easier to swap as they use acorn style lug nuts, like OEM, and they're included, vs the PITA shanked and centering washer type wheels like some other popular brands. The JMS wheels are also hub centric and don't use any adapter rings like the other brands.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I would also consider a 17 in. rear wheel. I was planning on using a 15x10 rear wheel on my 11 (Brembo, 3.73 car), but not only does the sway bar bracket have to be modified, but it seems a lot of lower control arm relocation kits won't clear 15's either. I don't know what kind of clearance the Roush stuff has.... but after seeing Power by the Hour's Shelby (customer car?) pull the front wheels on a 17x10 rear drag wheel, I'm thinking the 15's may not be necessary....

I think I may go with a 17x9.5 racestar w/ MT 28 in tall ET street R's.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Rear sway bar relocation is literally a 30 min job. Most lca relocation brackets should work with a 15x10 because people that are installing the brackets are usually drag racers that will be running that exact size wheel. The popular 15x10's that I have used all worked with upr, steeda and bmr relocation brackets. But, you do have a point about the Joes car, but that car has everything out back. It certainly is set up properly.

Cain96

Established Member
I apologize, I should have mentioned that the car would be used mainly for car shows and messing around... and the occasional drag strip (not sure how much)... so I look at it as the clark kent/superman style of wheels.... Not sure if that changes your answers or not.. but I would need something I could drive to the track and back... so the skinny fronts would be out of the question.. and yes I do have the 14" brembos on the front still

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I know racestar makes a 17x7 front wheel that would be better for street driving. I would recommend sticking with 15x10 in the rear. You have the best drag tire selection for that size rim.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
If these are going to be your primary wheels, then you'll definitely want something wider up front. I use the 4.5's and drive them on the street often for a couple days at a time, bias ply on all 4 corners to boot, before I decide to not be lazy and swap my street wheels back on. Car drives fine but you definitely should be more cautious if you use a narrower wheel up front. I would suggest 4.5's if you'll be swapping wheels. Stick with the 15x10 no matter what, imo. Greater tire selection, they're less expensive and will offer the best traction.

Users who are viewing this thread