Suggestions on gear ratio

tx5.slow

Established Member
I currently running 3.15 on a 2014 auto, current mods are boss 302 manifold, jlt intake and off road x pipe, now am running 305 35 20 on rear as a daily, I have a set of 275 50 15 on welds, has anyone try different gear ratios with similar mods what would be a good ratio on mine, future plans are twin turbos, and upgraded stall converter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Secondo

Established Member
It really depends on what you will be doing with the car. Track racing, drag racing, street roll racing, daily driving?

I don't understand you guys. Taller gears= quicker E/T. I know a coyote running mid-11's with 4:10's and a tune.

scotmach

Established Member
I don't understand you guys. Taller gears= quicker E/T. I know a coyote running mid-11's with 4:10's and a tune.
And many of us run low 11's high 10's with either a 3.15 or 3.31 gear. So what's your point? Because if you're trying to say the 4.10's are a good choice then you'd be way off base.

Stick with the 3.15's and go with a converter. That's the smart choice here.

Secondo

Established Member
If the goal is for the quickest E/T's then get taller gears. If it's a driver, I agree, stick with the stock gears . Even then, tall gears aren't bad with either our M6 or A6 transmissions.

bunits19714

Established Member
the less shifts the better- this being said you need to have a mph goal to truly decide which gear is best 3.15"s with stock converter will carry you to 130ish in 3rd and slightly less with a looser converter(yes it does lock up) . if you will be shooting for 145-150 in the qtr then 3.55's are a good choice and will carry car to about 155ish +/-. this is using all of 4th gear- and requires 3 shifts. If the car has to make a gear change (example) if you know you will be trapping 136-138/ low 10 second et's then you might as well use all of the gear in stead of trapping in the middle/lower end of a gear- tire size does effect gear radio- your 305's I believe are 28 and change and your 50 series 275's are 27" so your car with them would maximum speed in 3rd gear 127ish(7500rpm+/-)

tx5.slow

Established Member
the less shifts the better- this being said you need to have a mph goal to truly decide which gear is best 3.15"s with stock converter will carry you to 130ish in 3rd and slightly less with a looser converter(yes it does lock up) . if you will be shooting for 145-150 in the qtr then 3.55's are a good choice and will carry car to about 155ish +/-. this is using all of 4th gear- and requires 3 shifts. If the car has to make a gear change (example) if you know you will be trapping 136-138/ low 10 second et's then you might as well use all of the gear in stead of trapping in the middle/lower end of a gear- tire size does effect gear radio- your 305's I believe are 28 and change and your 50 series 275's are 27" so your car with them would maximum speed in 3rd gear 127ish(7500rpm+/-)
If any I was deciding on 3.31s I do alot of roll racing the majority of the time

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
honestly, the point of gears is a quicker acceleration off the line but where will it trap you at?? You want to be trapping in your power band. With an auto..Boss IM and 3.15's, I'm trapping in the upper RPMS (BOSS power band) in 3rd gear. Netting me the best ET. If I add 4.10's...maybe a faster/better 60' but what if I trap in 4th gear at 3000rpms??? Now I'm at the low end of the power band and the second it hits 4th...you can tell the car is slower. Now you are trapping a slower ET. So now what. Play with tire sizes to make your gears more numerically lower?

Also a 4.17 first gear with a 4.10? Better have something really sticky and hopefully your track preps well.

But if you play on the streets only, 4.10 could be fun.

I know in the past, with the way the auto mustangs were geared, it begged for 3.73's or 4.10's. but the way they are geared now, especially 1st...gears are not the issue. The stall is now.

There are guys with the A6 that installed 4.10's and loved it on the street, hated it at the track. Streets...

tx5.slow

Established Member
honestly, the point of gears is a quicker acceleration off the line but where will it trap you at?? You want to be trapping in your power band. With an auto..Boss IM and 3.15's, I'm trapping in the upper RPMS (BOSS power band) in 3rd gear. Netting me the best ET. If I add 4.10's...maybe a faster/better 60' but what if I trap in 4th gear at 3000rpms??? Now I'm at the low end of the power band and the second it hits 4th...you can tell the car is slower. Now you are trapping a slower ET. So now what. Play with tire sizes to make your gears more numerically lower?

Also a 4.17 first gear with a 4.10? Better have something really sticky and hopefully your track preps well.

But if you play on the streets only, 4.10 could be fun.

I know in the past, with the way the auto mustangs were geared, it begged for 3.73's or 4.10's. but the way they are geared now, especially 1st...gears are not the issue. The stall is now.

There are guys with the A6 that installed 4.10's and loved it on the street, hated it at the track. Streets...
Yea the converter will be my next upgrade along with an aluminium DS, as far as my traction I really don't have any issues now, I run radials and 305s daily, I got bmr lca, upper with thinker bracket, Panhard, subframe connectors, and a swarr differential brace, with cobra jet drag springs.

Users who are viewing this thread