Suggestions ?

CobraG

Established Member
Looking at getting a couple of mods. A hand held tuner, (NGuage), probably a tune from Lund or AED. And an intake, either the Boss 302 or the 2018. I was sold on the Boss, however, I'm seeing threads about the 2018 with good reviews and a cheaper price.
Questions:
Does it matter which order? Should I get the intake then the tuner and tune? Preferences for Lund/AED?

Thanks

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Do them both at the same time, if you get a tune first you will more than likely have to pay for a revision once you install the intake on it. Lund/AED/Palm Beach Dyno seem to be the most popular. I always tell people to send them all emails and note how long it takes for each to respond.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
If you get the nGauge make sure to get the hp tuners version if you are not sure which tuner you are going with. If you get the lund version, you will only be able to get tunes from lund.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I have headers and a JLT RAI. I'm not sure about the mid pipe, but it does have MagnaFlow mufflers and tips.
I'm thinking about an intake next, either the 2018 IM or the Boss. I've been told you need supporting mods to go with an intake manifold though so I may have to wait on the IM until I can figure out what supporting mods and brands to go with it.

paulyboy928

Established Member
Not sure about the '18, but for the boss you don't need anything but the install pieces which can be found for cheap online.

clinton2003

Established Member
Not sure about the '18, but for the boss you don't need anything but the install pieces which can be found for cheap online.
the "install kit" is a length of hose and some hose clamps....

Thanks for the reply, I have headers and a JLT RAI. I'm not sure about the mid pipe, but it does have MagnaFlow mufflers and tips.
I'm thinking about an intake next, either the 2018 IM or the Boss. I've been told you need supporting mods to go with an intake manifold though so I may have to wait on the IM until I can figure out what supporting mods and brands to go with it.
what supporting mods are you talking about? if you already have headers and an intake, you have the supporting mods. only thing you could do is an offroad h or x (no difference in power, but huge difference in sound, H is deeper, x is more high pitched.) and that cold be done with either intake.

CobraG

Established Member
For the supporting mods I was told I'd need more. Would I need a bigger MAF?
If I don't need a MAF and I'm good to go it's down to the Boss and 2018 IM.

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks for the replies paulyboy. How do you like your Boss IM? I'm leaning more that direction than the 2018 IM right now.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I would do boss manifold, pmas or jlt gen 2 cai, and a lund tune. My car rips. It would give my 18 a little spanking

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Boss intake is also good for boost if you decide to get a centri blower or turbo kit down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

paulyboy928

Established Member
Thanks for the replies paulyboy. How do you like your Boss IM? I'm leaning more that direction than the 2018 IM right now.

No problem, man.

I love it. Shifting at 7800rpm is soon much fun and it doesn't stop pulling. I gave mine a little port to help with the flow. Super easy to do and highly recommend it if you go the boss route.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Either manifold is good and if you decide boost you'll be set. Though I believe the boss will carry the power band longer. Good think about the 18 is you won't lose any low end torque and all you need for the 18 manifold is IMRC lockouts. I had a ported boss before it was decent for what it was but I have a Cobra Jet now. If your on a budget then 18 would be your manifold to get. I know brett barber sells them for like 550 ported to your door. If you do get boss I would skip the install kit and head to oreillys and get 2ft 3/8 emission hose and 2 worm clamp for like $4 for the purge valve relocation. That's what I did on my Cobra Jet it's tucked nice under the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread