Supercharger fuel quality issues

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
What do you guys do that still run pump 93 octane? My current Lund tune has some pretty low timing due to the local gas I was getting. Currently I am running 11-13.5 from 3k-7k rpm due to my local gas quality.

Do you guys all have torco tunes? Do you all go straight to E85? Do you have a certain gas station that you always go to? I am curious how you guys handle this. Thanks!

My car is bone stock with Paxton SC (beefcake special) @ 8.5 psig with ID 1050s and BAP.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I run the same gas that I was tuned on at all times. Mobil 93 and my car sees 19* of timing. Vortech car with a BAP, AED remote tune.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Not sure what stations are in your area but I've had good luck with shell and mobil. If you just need a little boost in octane you may want to run something like royal purple max boost or lucas octane booster. They both use MMT like in torco but are cheaper and raise octane up to 3 points. I run Max boost with my 93 tune just for added insurance in case I get a bad tank of gas.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I added VP octanium to a full tank before going to the track (because I forgot when I refilled) and it didnt seem to impact my runs at the track (0 knock at 3k-7400 RPM not negative). Next time I go to the track I will fill up the correct way (octane booster, full tank, then run it half down) before going and hopefully will see some negative knock.

If I find a good consistent 93 octane I should be seeing negative knock right??

WIST2013GT

Established Member
If I find a good consistent 93 octane I should be seeing negative knock right??

It depends on the tune. If your timing target on high octane is set as a max of 16, if wont matter how good the fuel is, its not going to add more timing once it hits 16.

At least this is how I understand it.

stangn

Established Member
I've alway run Shell 93, but I'm pushing my luck these days so I bought a case of Torco for insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread