Suspension decision

spectreman

Established Member
So here's my suspension dilemma.

My car- a stock '09 GT500 w/just a few ticks under 20k on the odo- is a daily driver and always will be. Never gonna see any type of race- road, track, strip or autocross. But, of course, I'd like to mod it a bit & the suspension is one area where I'd like to hit.

I've got no real issues/concerns w/how the car performs suspension-wise now except for its heightened stance. In the past 2 cars, also daily drivers, the '08 Bullitt and the '14 GT Track Pack, all I ever did was the bare minimum to the suspension w/lowering springs & I was amazed by the results, especially w/the '14 GT T/P car. So I'm thinking all I really want to do is likewise w/the GT500 and install BMR's LSP001 lowering package or something similar.

But then my pal Dennis/Kazman goes and buys the full Ford suspension kit and is now all agog about it &, of course, it got me to thinking.

I hate to just pull the OEM stuff out when I'm not dissatisfied w/it & it meets my performance needs, but I'm not one of those guys that likes to go back at it again at a later date either. I want to do it once & be done w/it. (Hmmm, that could explain my love life issues too, I guess.)

So I'm looking for a little input here. Again, it's just a daily street car & I'm only looking to personalize it a bit more for my tastes. Thoughts?
Lee

spectreman

Established Member
And here's another thought cuz I'm reading slightly conflicting opinions on the interweb- progressive vs linear springs?

In the last 2 cars, I'd used Steeda's progressive spring but this time I was looking at BMR's linear springs. Yeah, yeah, I know- it's like starting a chat about which oil/tires/etc...
Lee

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Well, the bare minimum would be control arms, if its a daily driver you don't really need any thing else, now if you want to lower the car I would add adjustable panhard bar and call it a day.

For springs, progressive is better for daily driving because initially its soft and gets "progressively" stiffer as it compresses. Linear has a fixed rate which is predictable at the track, and that's why its preferable for track duty. That said, if tuned correctly either one can be used for whatever driving style you want so there isn't one right answer.
You can start with the control arms and see how you like it.

barspen

Established Member
I agree with BlackCobra...start with quality LCA's (non adjustable is fine for DD) and an adjustable Panhard bar to center the rear. Anything else for a DD is overkill IMHO.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hell, if its just DD id save the money and just get an adjust panhard rod and the springs. Unless you are experiencing wheel hop on the street leaving a light or stop sign, LCAs wouldnt really do anything for you. If the car is strictly a daily of course.

If you have a lot of clover style on/off ramps you like to hit hard or really enjoy a twistie winding road fairly regularly, the 90 bucks for a set of BMR LCAs will be more than worth it. An upper arm and mount would be overkill for a DD IMO.

spectreman

Established Member
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'm definitely not going for overkill here- it's about subtle practicality and appearance. The lowering springs are coming for both appearance purposes and the increased flat cornering abilities of the car. It's what else I do is the question and whether or not to buy the progressive or linear springs.

Guess it's time to give BMR a call...
Lee

SirShaun

Established Member
Lowering your car will move the rearend, and cause the front tires to go out of alignment due to adding negative camber.

Caster Camber Plates and or Camber Bolts may be required to bring the front tires back into spec. The inside of the front tires will eat out, if not.

Adjustable Panhard bar will allow you to re center the rearend. Allows for a rear end alignment so to say.

A nice to have would be lower control arms, but they are completely optional considering your situation.

It's a nice feeling to see your car zeroed out front and rear on the alignment machine. At that moment, you know it's tracking perfect lol.

If it's about beating Dennis, money up and get you a nice set of coilovers lol.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
Nah, Dennis ain't married w/kids, like I am. He can win this weinie wagging waving war, I guess.

This is the set up that's been on my wish list since I bought the GT500 a year ago: http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=182&superpro=0

I figger it's got what's needed and I've yet to read anybody say anything negative about BMR's stuff.
Lee

You don't need the upper GT500 strut mounts. Those are for people upgrading their v6/GT Mustangs. You already got the beefy GT500 strut mounts.

Buy separately, use the money you saved on not needing strut mounts, and get some poly bushed lower control arms, to go with those control arm relocation brackets.

Then you got it dicked, solid foundation. Better yet wait until Memorial Day (May 28th), and catch everything on sale. I'm sure BMR, VMP, Lethal, LMR, American Muscle, at least one of the major performance parts sites will have a sale.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
I daily drive my car as well (an '07) and put the 2012 SVTPP springs/shocks on my car (same suspension as on the 2012 GT500 PP) and I love it.

The ride isn't harsh, but it lowers it slightly in the front and more so in the rear.

I had a KR suspension on the car before and liked it, but it was a bit harsher than what I have now.

Stock LCA and Panhard but I did put FRPP sway bars which make the car feel like night and day and don't add any NVH.

228cobra

Established Member
we are looking for a little input that applies here: have a stock 08 vert and a set of 2011 PP donated rear springs, shocks and front struts & springs. will this setup work on my ride. sorry for the head-butt... thnx

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If all you're looking for is some flatter cornering, get some beefier sway bars, lower control arms, and a Watts link. Don't even bother with an adjustable pahnard bar. Just ante up the extra coin for the Watts link. It's beyond worth it. I've gone from the stock panhard to an adjustable panhard to, now, a Watts link. I should've started with the Watts link. I still have my BMR adjustable panhard and mount that I want to sell. PM me with an offer, if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread