SVT GI’s 97 Cobra Build – C Heads / Auto / Twin Turbo

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Pffft yours won't even be breaking a sweat yet at my power level!
Yea I know lol. I've been thinking about a smaller pulley when it goes back together, but honestly when I drove it before it's pretty violent when you get into it a little bit lol

03bluemach

Established Member
Nice build man !
I've been thinking about switching from single turbo to twins lately. Was looking at the ON3 twin kit how well did the kit fit on the SN95 body ? What problems did you run into with the install ? I read somewhere can't remember now that in order to get it to fit correctly on the 96-98 cobra there where alot mods needed to the kit. Also did you Fab up that Scavenge Pump bracket or did it come with the kit ?

Last edited:

SVT GI

Established Member
Wow. Some build. You make it look easy.

We need a vid!

On the contrary, out of 10 or so cars I've built, this seems to fight me every step of the way! Haha

Nice build man !
I've been thinking about switching from single turbo to twins lately. Was looking at the ON3 twin kit how well did the kit fit on the SN95 body ? What problems did you run into with the install ? I read somewhere can't remember now that in order to get it to fit correctly on the 96-98 cobra there where alot mods needed to the kit. Also did you Fab up that Scavenge Pump bracket or did it come with the kit ?

It was no different than installing it on a 99-04 chassis. The only thing I don't know for sure is the cold side piping. I built my own cause I didn't want BOVs on the intercooler so I fabbed up my own cold side for the BOV and because I wanted 3.5" instead of the 3" it comes with. The bracket came with the kit, pump is mounted with rubber isolators too. Just simple L brackets with holes, would of been easy to make anyway.

Awesome build. A lot of thought in this.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thanks, yeah things just kept snowballing as the project went. Has a ton of little one off modifications.

03bluemach

Established Member
Cool deal ..So you didn't have any fitment issue with the hotside piping or had to modify anything correct ? Just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger on this kit I originally had fitment problems with the forward facing 4v kit ( I know the ON3 kits are hit and miss sometimes) I sold it and went with a single CG Fabrication kit, but I have always wanted twins . You had some nice #s on pump I wonder how much more HP those custom bullet cams contributed.

SVT GI

Established Member
I had to slightly drill out 2 of the holes on the passenger side header. After all bolts were in these two just wouldn't start to thread in the head. I mean by a tiny hair they were off, after that everything fell into place. My kit was actually bought in 2012 though too so things have come a long way with On3's pipes. I don't have any leaks or issues with the v bands either.

My only complaint, which regardless if it's on a 96-98 or 99-04 is that you have to notch the front bumper impact absorbers to clear the charge pipes off each turbo to the intercooler. I didn't have to do that with my old HP twin kit that mounts almost in same spot. So I took the bare minimum out of the supports so they still do their job. I've seen guys completely cut them off and seen guys chop so far into them they're pretty much useless. With taking your time fitting the intercooler you can get it to work with very minimal cut out.

03bluemach

Established Member
Awesome that's good news hows the spool on those .105 a/r housings vs the .63's that they came with ? Just trying to figure out what I need to go with . Street strip car so I'm not sure. I don't want to go to with to small of housings and just blow the tires off. What would you recommend seeing your running the .105's ? Thank you for answering my questions

Last edited:

SVT GI

Established Member
great car, great build. keep us posted- excellent automotive eye candy !

Thanks!

Awesome that's good news hows the spool on those .105 a/r housings vs the .63's that they came with ? Just trying to figure out what I need to go with . Street strip car so I'm not sure. I don't want to go to with to small of housings and just blow the tires off. What would you recommend seeing your running the .105's ? Thank you for answering my questions

I'm auto and cammed which helps spool, as well as my converter that's built to spool turbos. The 1.06's are pretty good on the street for me. I actually need more cam with longer duration to really get them going but it might only help by a few hundred rpm. If you aren't setup right I wouldn't recommend the 1.06's. These are for making sure the turbos don't run out of steam in the higher rpms also but have their trade offs at the lower range.

For a stick or mostly street car it's the .63 or .82, personally I'd go with the .82's but the problem is the exhaust exit. On3 only has v-band exhaust housings for the .82 and 1.06. The .63 have the T3 and 4 bolt exit exhaust. Unless they've offered a vband hot pipes, down pipes and catback kit recently you're going to have to chop the 4 bolt flanges off and weld v bands on AND the down pipes to catback. Currently they only offer the fender exit exhaust pipes for the .82 and 1.06 exhaust housings.

03bluemach

Established Member
I'm currently running a FB performance 4r70w mvb with a tripple disk 245mm 2C circle d converter with 3:55 gears . With 9:1 compression and stock 96-98 corba cams. (Which I may swap out for customs later down the line )

I was thinking about going with the .82 housings and running the full On3 exhaust and then buying a adapter from 4 bolt to 3" v band and purchase their FED's so I can swap downpipes if I want and have options that way I don't have to buy the other exhaust housing I can just use theses adapters

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GT35-GT30-St...114515?hash=item1a17f57f13:g:mNkAAOSw0fhXlsno

SVT GI

Established Member
I'm currently running a FB performance 4r70w mvb with a tripple disk 245mm 2C circle d converter with 3:55 gears . With 9:1 compression and stock 96-98 corba cams. (Which I may swap out for customs later down the line )

I was thinking about going with the .82 housings and running the full On3 exhaust and then buying a adapter from 4 bolt to 3" v band and purchase their FED's so I can swap downpipes if I want and have options that way I don't have to buy the other exhaust housing I can just use theses adapters

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GT35-GT30-St...114515?hash=item1a17f57f13:g:mNkAAOSw0fhXlsno

You'll be good with .82's with your setup, the auto helps a lot. Those adapters should work. Hopefully there's enough give in the exhaust to soak up the extra inch or so with those adapters. Especially around the front suspension, should be ok though. I may even try those to hook up the rest of my exhaust.

Are you going to try and find some adapters for the T3 flanges to v band turbo inlet or cut them off and weld on flanges?

03bluemach

Established Member
I plan on just pretty much using the turbine housing as they come in there original form if you will, t3 flange inlet with 4 bolt outlet and running it like that for the full exhaust setup . And then when ever I want to swap to the fender exit down pipes I can just bolt up those adapters and go from 4 bolt outlet to 3" v band outlet and run the fender exit down pipes. That way I have options hopefully anyways. I don't have the kit yet so im not sure how tight the clearances are yet with the pipes and how they route if the adapters will work or not. Did you purchase the fender exit pipes from On3 Or did you Fab your own ? I was planning on buying there's but I didn't want the added expense of having to buy there other turbine housings to make them work so I found those adapters

Users who are viewing this thread