SVTP Oil Filter Examinations Starting Back Up

No, not at all..just let the magnet attach to the filter..2 second install. (The magnet is pretty strong) Just get the right size for the Oil filter. Some Filter mags are longer (top to bottom) and will exceed the length of the oil filter. Our oil filters have a wide diameter but are really not that long.
Just before you are ready to change the oil, remove the magnet and take the filter off. After the new oil filter is put on, just let the magnet attach itself again.

BTW..I got the Black one and not the Red one. I think the red would have been too long. This was for the MACH 1...find one for your car.
FilterMAG SS375 - FilterMAG SS Autos and Light Truck Series Magnets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thanks for the link and info. :beer:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
The filter mag is honestly a waste of money, unless you are using cheap filters. If you were buying top tier oil filters, the fine metal that is sticking to that magnet would be trapped in the filter. I will agree that it will greatly improve a cheap filters performance.

Also, considering that the filter mag will only catch metals with Fe (Fe = iron *for those who had no clue* lol)

It won't catch aluminum, copper, lead, tin, or silicon (dirt) - and these are other wear metals that occur in engine wear. See, now we are back to the top tier filter argument. lol
I was thinking the same thing.:beer:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I was thinking the same thing.:beer:

Agree..It is a matter of preference whether you want to put one or not. By no means do I buy cheap oil or cheap filters on my MACH1...maybe crap for my DD Nissan Sentra but not for my Stang.

If I recall though, some car manufacturers use to put magnetic oil drain plugs on their cars from the factory. It is an old idea that has been around for a while. If some of the manufactures did it, their must be a reason. These manufacturers do NOT like to spend any kind of additional money if they do not have to. If they did it (on a much smaller level - on the drain plug) than it is good enough for me..just preference though..not forcing anyone or trying to persuade. I just put the info out there :beer:

Just keep this in mind... knowing how everything is based on money today and quality seems to take a back seat, would you want to take the word of the filter manufacture that all their filters are constructed with quality in mind?

Last edited:

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
I could buy almost six motorcraft filters for the price I payed for my Royal Purple filter. I also change oil ever 2k miles and use mobile 1 oil.

brianz426

Established Member
Great thread/project, looking forward to the results. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

^ I agree this should be interesting. I use all Motorcraft, I used to use Amsoil filters. I've been selling and using Amsoil products for almost 20+ years. I stopped using Amsoil filters about 17 years ago because when I took the filter off at oil change time 3 out of 4 times the filter was empty. If I remember correctly it was failure of the anti-drainback valve. They gave me a few free filters the problem continued so I quit using them (I still have a couple). I thought Wix was making them for Amsoil at the time but I'm not sure. I'm sure by now this problem has been solved because I have many happy filter customers. I'm looking forward to the results, maybe I'll try the Amsoil filters again.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
^ I agree this should be interesting. I use all Motorcraft, I used to use Amsoil filters. I've been selling and using Amsoil products for almost 20+ years. I stopped using Amsoil filters about 17 years ago because when I took the filter off at oil change time 3 out of 4 times the filter was empty. If I remember correctly it was failure of the anti-drainback valve. They gave me a few free filters the problem continued so I quit using them (I still have a couple). I thought Wix was making them for Amsoil at the time but I'm not sure. I'm sure by now this problem has been solved because I have many happy filter customers. I'm looking forward to the results, maybe I'll try the Amsoil filters again.

Well you should look into Amsoil again because 17yrs ago compared to today's technology is a completely different world. The drain back valve is so huge on the new filters they produce its ridiculous in a good way. Amsoil really wants to corner the market in superiority with the lastest technology in their products so they are highly up on the totem pole. This is why I can't wait to see Amsoil, Mobil, and Motorcraft cut up. Those are the ones I use in that order depending on the situation. :)

Erich

Established Member
I did motorcraft vs fram. It was no contest. I will try to find the pics. Motorcraft had way way more pleats.
Erich

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would definitely like to see Amsoil Vs. Royal Purple Vs. Mobil 1 Vs. Motorcraft as those are my "Four Favorites" =]

The Royal Purple and Mobil filters are one in the same. Both are built by Champion Labs. K&N as well. I'm curious if the Mobil and K&N filters received the new filter media as the RP filter. If not, then the RP filter is superior.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread