SVTP stock pick thread.

Steve1578

Established Member
any thoughts on the overall market? My 401k only allows me to be in funds are closely based on either the DOW, S&P, Gbonds, or a mix of international markets.

I was about to move into the G fund right after we hit the all time high in US markets but I found an article that shows the markets moving up an average of 15% in the 52 week FOLLOWING the market breaking an all time high after 52 weeks below the previous high--hope that makes sense.

I tend to worry when you see oil tanking like this, just not sure its due to the overall economy or not.

Thoughts?

One thing to note is that the market as a whole is not longer as largely influenced by oil as it was a few months back. But if oil falls back down close to the lows, it'll cause from panic again and investors will start to play by its rules again.
Right now things are a little sideways. We recently had a nice pop up to new highs, and now it's kind of lulling over. I think we will continue higher but it could take a little to break out of this basing period, especially with oil in the gutter. But overall earnings have been pretty positive and I think it should provide the steam needed to continue upwards. Short-term looks pretty slow though. After earnings season is out of the way we'll probably see a pickup again.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
I sold today ...

I've been buying and selling them weekly lately. Just wasn't sure what position to hold before the earnings. Predicting a 0.53/share loss, but this is Tesla...their patterns don't make sense most of the time lol. If they fall below $215 within the next two days, I may pick up some more, but right now, I don't see holding anything through earnings.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
So, many may know my goal of working for myself and quitting my job. Well, the time has finally come.

Tomorrow, on my birthday, I will be giving my notice at work. I simply cannot ****ing wait! Will be working with my brother and Aunt from home in addition to trading which is what I have wanted for so long. Six years at that shit hole..... so glad to be done.

Steve1578

Established Member
So, many may know my goal of working for myself and quitting my job. Well, the time has finally come.

Tomorrow, on my birthday, I will be giving my notice at work. I simply cannot ****ing wait! Will be working with my brother and Aunt from home in addition to trading which is what I have wanted for so long. Six years at that shit hole..... so glad to be done.

Congrats man! That's the dream right there, can't wait to get there one day.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Congrats man! That's the dream right there, can't wait to get there one day.

Thank You! Last year was the hardest year of my life and for my family, so I am so damn happy things are really starting to move in the right direction. Honestly, I only worked there 15-20 hours a week, but I feel like I lost a piece of my soul with every shift. Such a huge weight off my shoulders and can't be happier to be working with my family from home. So many good things coming in the future. You will get there too man!

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Thank You! Last year was the hardest year of my life and for my family, so I am so damn happy things are really starting to move in the right direction. Honestly, I only worked there 15-20 hours a week, but I feel like I lost a piece of my soul with every shift. Such a huge weight off my shoulders and can't be happier to be working with my family from home. So many good things coming in the future. You will get there too man!

Congrats, man! I can't imagine the excitement. I know the feeling of finally getting out of a place you hate and I'd imagine working at home will be an awesome feeling. Congrats, again!

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Cant believe I just found this thread. But, I've been looking to get into investing. But I have a question I cant find a clear answer to. And that is, can a mutual fund account and general trading account be under the same name? or do you have to use different sites like etrade for trading and td ameritrade for investing?

Also. OnCEe getting trading figured out. Is it realistic to make 2-3k a month off of trading? looking to eventually get a second form of income coming in.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes you can have multiple types of accounts with one broker. I have an old IRA, Roth IRA, and plain old equities account with one broker.

As fas as making 2-3k a month, sure I suppose but remember this is like educated gambling. I like to think in percentages not dollars. I have a small group of stocks that I watch and tend to play them when they are volatile and I will clip 5-10% on swings until the volume dries up. So for my style of trading and the amount Im working with, ya Ill pick up 2-3k on a trade. When I only had 10k I was making half that.

If youre only playing with 1000 bucks at the start, you'll be hard pressed to make 2-3k a month. If you can, quit your job.

Steve1578

Established Member
Cant believe I just found this thread. But, I've been looking to get into investing. But I have a question I cant find a clear answer to. And that is, can a mutual fund account and general trading account be under the same name? or do you have to use different sites like etrade for trading and td ameritrade for investing?

Also. OnCEe getting trading figured out. Is it realistic to make 2-3k a month off of trading? looking to eventually get a second form of income coming in.

If you're setting out to make a set $ amount, then no. Those who trade only to make money and specifically an exact $ amount usually end up in the gutter. You should trade to trade well. If you do that, the profit will come. I've had huge months where I made more than 2-3k. I've made it in one day before. But results like those are unlikely unless you're playing with big money. The only way you can really win at trading is by waiting for trades that give you an "edge", meaning that your likely hood of a positive result far outweighs that of a negative. Those opportunities are hard to come by and require a lot of screening and watching. But to average 2-3K a month day trading(if you're full time), is very achievable, granted you're a good trader. If you're loose with your money, you'll never make it.

Steve1578

Established Member
Just a few that I'm watching over the next few days:

EXEL - Looking to see how this opens tomorrow morning. This thing has been on a crazy rise. I'll be in for the short play once profit taking comes into play.
TWTR - Approaching strong resistance at $19 along with 200ma above. I'll be looking for a quick short play here too.
TRUE - Strong resistance at $10, just had earnings reported which beat estimates and 20ma moved above the 50ma, good sign. I could go either way on this one but I see the overall marking heading up in the coming few days so I'm looking more bullish on this one. If it carries through above $10 with good volume I'll be a player.
SBGL- Another one that's been blazing up, due for a pullback. Just one to watch.

On top of this I'll be watching the big movers at open.

Last edited:

Steve1578

Established Member
EXEL opened up PERFECTLY. Huge drop right in the first minute. Quick scalp play to start the day. Watching the 1m, I'll be watching for a retest of the low.
TRUE - 2000 shares at $10.05, $10.31 as of typing. Very tight trailing stop here. Update 9:47 - Closed 80% of my position. $10.32. If it retests high, might play again. 2 big scalps in the first 15ish minutes, good start to my Friday.

Last edited:

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
TWER - Stop is now 2.50 area, will add above 2.90. Needs volume, but can really move if it gets some momo.

TWER - Still in this. Chart looking better, just trades on such low volume but if it comes it can see $5 pretty quick.

EDIT: Definitely heating up, above $3 now and lots more social media attention, low float. Daily 200ma is $5.61, that is the area I am eyeing if this really picks up.

Last edited:

Steve1578

Established Member
TWER - Still in this. Chart looking better, just trades on such low volume but if it comes it can see $5 pretty quick.

EDIT: Definitely heating up, above $3 now and lots more social media attention, low float. Daily 200ma is $5.61, that is the area I am eyeing if this really picks up.

That would be a huge pop! Hope you get it.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
TWER is looking good. Was able to capitalize on ATVI this morning right at market open. Picked up a large amount last night banking on good earnings; played out well. Sold at open before the decline.

Likely will hop back into AAPL if they drop to $105 - tis that time of year for them..

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
TWER - Hit 3.65 in PM today so far, looking for the run-up today before earnings. I actually flipped it Friday, sold at 3.05 and re-bought same position at exact average as before. Still not seeing the volume I want, but maybe that will change at open today.

Steve1578

Established Member
I like RIG for a swing move. Thinking I can squeeze close to a point out of it. 50 just crossed the 200, I'll be watching tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread