SVTP stock pick thread.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Didn't they say the same for the Facebook IPO at $38?
It's now $137.42.

Snapchat is no Facebook, but I could see it moving from its IPO of $17.

Who knows...

Facebook was completely different. Snapchat has negative growth and no clear business plan yet. It's going to be the next TWTR. I could see maybe a few initial spikes which you need to sell in to if you want to make any money. It will bleed out after that. Whoever is left holding the bag is going to really be hurting after earnings

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Actually I looked more at SNAP. Might take a position after the dust settles. Their losses are growing bigger and bigger, but their revenue is actually growing a lot too. I don't like their fundamentals, but they might have the ability to sustain hype-based share price growth like Tesla and increase despite losing money year after year. I would need to see a significant pullback though.

I do think there is a greater chance Facebook will eat them alive over the long run though

josephcostello

Established Member
It's all about pharmaceuticals. Have made 125% return on my money so far as I put a chunk split into 6 different companies and one exploded. The next one should do the same in the next year, still waiting on the others.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
It's all about pharmaceuticals. Have made 125% return on my money so far as I put a chunk split into 6 different companies and one exploded. The next one should do the same in the next year, still waiting on the others.

I'm waiting for AUPH to go down more and will identify the next option play there. Looking for more bios with upcoming catalyst to spread myself out on some cheap calls. I'm all cash for the weekend, feel pretty good about it. Hell, I was all cash as of yesterday morning after selling AUPH at 6.10 and slept like a baby

Jmurrz

Established Member
Pretty decent day off JNUG. I knew the fed was not going to raise the rates this month so I bought in early and sold right at the peak at 6.90 after they announced they were not going to hike the rate. I returned about 12%.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm starting to learn myself and want to start simple. A few youtube videos are good to watch on the subject and you can also pick up some books like "Understanding Options" and "The Options Playbook"

I'm thinking about messing with this a bit lately. Any good things to watch specifically on the matter?

Great idea. I don't have any money in the market to trade with, however I do follow them on a daily basis and I'm hopeful that in a few years when I'm more stable I will have more to add.

Just wanted to add that a couple good research sites are
- Thestreet.com
- Minyanville.com
- Yahoo Finance

Good to know!

I plan on reading this thread from front to back and see if you guys have learned anything over the years. Any cliff notes for me though?

Last edited:

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I'm thinking about messing with this a bit lately. Any good things to watch specifically on the matter?

I'm looking at unusually cheap calls, where certain strike prices have asks that don't make sense and are lower than the asks on lower strike prices. Right now I think most of the big opportunity in AUPH has passed unless they take a dive because I'm still bullish long term. I'm looking at some SPHS July $5 calls, they are EXTREMELY cheap. SPHS has been on most radars as a possible buyout this year, and July gives me plenty of time. You can make out very nicely with these. Use www.optionsprofitcalculator.com as your cheat sheet.

Edit: I meant cheap calls where ask is lower than the higher strike price. Usually higher strike on a call = lower price since less likely to get up there

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I've highlighted a couple good opportunities for the gambler on SPHS. I like the July the most because it gives you more time

Capture.jpg

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm looking at unusually cheap calls, where certain strike prices have asks that don't make sense and are lower than the asks on lower strike prices. Right now I think most of the big opportunity in AUPH has passed unless they take a dive because I'm still bullish long term. I'm looking at some SPHS July $5 calls, they are EXTREMELY cheap. SPHS has been on most radars as a possible buyout this year, and July gives me plenty of time. You can make out very nicely with these. Use www.optionsprofitcalculator.com as your cheat sheet.

Edit: I meant cheap calls where ask is lower than the higher strike price. Usually higher strike on a call = lower price since less likely to get up there

Very nice, I will have to dig a little deeper into this and learn the terminology. I'm still at the beginning stages.

And that is a perfect one for me to look at because I'm not looking to make huge chunks of money. I just want to learn the process and get some good leads. Thanks for the heads up with all of this.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
A random question for everyone. Have you guys made a ton of money from playing the lower price of the stock market? Have you lost a ton of money? I may just throw $500 into the mix and see what happens.

Jmurrz

Established Member
A random question for everyone. Have you guys made a ton of money from playing the lower price of the stock market? Have you lost a ton of money? I may just throw $500 into the mix and see what happens.

Depends on what you mean by lower price. Lower meaning $1-10 stocks or pennies in the realm of 0.0001?

I make 90% of my profits from $1-10 stocks that are taking off. Sometimes you can get REALLY lucky with a penny stock, but I have yet to do so. I would treat anything under a dollar as a gamble unless you have insider knowledge or you are one of the first to know about IMPORTANT news that will make it rocket. With $500 I would probably invest in a super cheap stock in the 0.000X range. That way, if it goes up at all it will be 30-100% gains. Otherwise after trading fees it is probably not worth it.

I do those more for fun. It gives you something to dream about if they ever took off. I have PSID and LEXG.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Depends on what you mean by lower price. Lower meaning $1-10 stocks or pennies in the realm of 0.0001?

I make 90% of my profits from $1-10 stocks that are taking off. Sometimes you can get REALLY lucky with a penny stock, but I have yet to do so. I would treat anything under a dollar as a gamble unless you have insider knowledge or you are one of the first to know about IMPORTANT news that will make it rocket. With $500 I would probably invest in a super cheap stock in the 0.000X range. That way, if it goes up at all it will be 30-100% gains. Otherwise after trading fees it is probably not worth it.

I do those more for fun. It gives you something to dream about if they ever took off. I have PSID and LEXG.

That is very much helpful. I'm not looking to make huge amounts from this but little gains would certainly be great. I never really gave much thought to the penny stocks honestly. As you mentioned, I was thinking of buying something that was super low and if it took off I would get something worth my while.

Any of you guys use Robinhood? Any pros and cons to that?

Jmurrz

Established Member
I don't know how many times I need to get raped by DRYS before I learn. I think this is the last time. Down 5% tripped stop loss for 1000 shares. But it pulled straight through the stop and dropped another 3% the rest of my shares are down 8% atm. I guess I am going to be a bagholder until it jumps. Who knows how long that will be.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
AUPH makes me sick. Sold about two dollars ago, and fcking Bank of America likes to put holds on personal checks on new accounts so my Merrill Edge is empty and I can't buy any calls until tomorrow. Might go all in on some March or April 10s. This action over the last few days is hinting at a much bigger move coming, possible buyout or at least partnership

Users who are viewing this thread