Switching up mufflers

Stang Lover

Established Member
Am I the only one or does anyone else search for that perfect exhaust tone and switch up mufflers every so often? I have been trying to get that near perfect exhaust tone that I want. I seem to switch up mufflers every 3-4 months and never satisfied. I've had kooks to ford racing mufflers to GT500's and now magnaflows mufflers. Kooks had this deep drone around 2-2.5 rpm and the ford racing mufflers just sounded like trash. The GT500's sounded great but the volume just wasn't enough. The magnaflows I have now give that old school 5.0 sound for some reason. I"m going to get the resonators cut off next week and see if it opens up more.

I may just bite the bullet and get some corsa or borla S. I break even or gain a little when I switch up exhaust.

Recon

Established Member
Corsa Extreme or Borla ATAKS. Sorry, I like my muscle cars to make some noise. I work at an auto repair shop that also does exhaust work. I'd suggest finding some one with both mufflers and have them put on the car. See which one you like best.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
What magnaflow mufflers did you try? Have you looked at the Competition Catback? We were in the same scenario as you with the gt500s. They sounded great, but they were just missing something. So we watched a couple youtube vids and bought the Comp catback. Wow what a difference! Sounds great! Doesn't drone either.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Dont worry man, Ive been through a lot of them before I settled. I first had roush axlebacks with resonator deletes, these sounded great and got complements everywhere I went and no drone, after deciding I wanted more power and went catless X the roush sounded like trash., after switching to my off road X setup I then went to flowmaster outlaws. I do have to say I loved the deep resonance these mufflers gave off and sounded like an old school mustang but the upper rpm tone just didn't do it for me and they kind of sounded like they where trumpeting, also tons of drone, even on stock mid pipe from what I've read. Next were the GT500's and just like you said OP, sound great but just too quiet, so these had to go. Finally ended up deciding between the corsa extremes or S types and chose the borlas. Best decision I ever made as far as exhaust purchases go. I absolutely live the tone, nice and deep growl with beautiful upper rpm tone and still can be driven civilized, but when you open her up, she's real loud. also best part, no drone really, just a great rich sound all the way through the rpm range. So op I would 100% recommend the S types Haven't switched from them since, they are staying on the car.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I know I started with an Borla x pipe and Borla Atak's, still had stock headers and cats. sounded great.
Swapped to catless. Just too loud. I don't like cruising or taking off at a redlight but sound like i'm already do 80mph.
Swapped to GT500's. Yes they are quieter (better than stock GT mufflers though) but when I get on it, I can still hear it.
Swapped to longtubes, 3" X pipe and still have the GT500's. It's a little louder, but I love it.

Last edited:

cheaneyt

Established Member
Try some aero turbine 2525s. That's what I have and love em. My cobra is on youtube under 96laseredcobra

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Myusername

Established Member
After all my different tries, I loved the boss side exhaust with gt500 mufflers. After a while I added cat deletes which sounded like crap at first, but after a few hundred miles they mellowed out.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've found out that your setup(mods) or X brandname will determine rasp. I've had brand A X pipe and had a rasp. Went to brand B X pipe and zero rasp.
I've also had an o/r H pipe with zero rasp (would think it could never happen) installed stage 3 comp cams and developed a rasp. Put the stock H pipe back on but busted out the 2 cats, zero rasp and sounded great.
With my stainless lt's, 3" X pipe and GT500's, the only time it has rasp is when it's cold. After that, you will never hear rasp from it during the day.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Corsa Extreme or Borla ATAKS. Sorry, I like my muscle cars to make some noise. I work at an auto repair shop that also does exhaust work. I'd suggest finding some one with both mufflers and have them put on the car. See which one you like best.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

I had Atak's with res deletes and they were great. Super loud at WOT and could still putt around but as soon as I put the headers on it came off within 3 days. Pulled onto the highway and got some pain in my ear. I was contemplating picking up some ear plugs for driving but then I thought that's a little rediculous.
When we switched to magnaflow streets (too quiet for me) we started it up with no mufflers and it was no difference in volume with the Atak's.

Ended with Borla S and it's still super loud at wide open but a lot better tone than the atak.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
My favorite setup was lt's, orx, over axle pipes, and gt500 mufflers.

Ive since switched to an mbrp 3" catback for their straight thru muffler design and black finish. While it doesnt sound bad its not like the gt500 setup was.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I don't believe my maganflows are the street version just some off the shelf magnaflows with welded on factory connection and tips. I still have the resonators in place so I think maybe a roush axleback would tone it down just a tad while still being loud. I just have to accept that these cars are gonna be loud regardless what I put on. I may try MBRP but i'm trying to stay around 300-350 don't wanna spend 500 just for some mufflers. I"ll probably end up selling my current mufflers.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Ended up getting some Flowmaster Pro Series today and I must say as much trash I talk about flowmaster these do not drone at all and have a very nice tone to it.

Ratinacage

Established Member
Over the last year and a half I'm on my 3rd set of mufflers. Went from stock exhaust to Corsa extremes with resonators removed and some 3" inch welded in it's place. I really enjoyed it for about 6 months either got bored with it or wasn't the sound I was looking for. So bought some used GT500 and even without resonators it's just to quiet. Picked up some Borla S type and installed them about 4 days ago currently loving the sound over the Corsa extremes. Keeping the GT500 mufflers for when I decide to put kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with the off road H pipe

Users who are viewing this thread