Sync issues

Sparko

Established Member
Is anyone else having issues with their sync ? I have a 2013 GT500 and have massive connection issues even after the Ford update. The dealer says I need a new APIM...what is that and is it something I can replace myself ? Has anyone done this? Did it fix your problems with Sync ?

raustin0017

Established Member
It is the Accessory Protocol Interface Module. Might be fixed by having it reset? There is 75+ pages of info about the system in the repair manual of troubleshooting and how to fix.

This is what I found in the manual:

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) Reset
NOTE: Carrying out an APIM Reset consists of a battery disconnect and a SYNC® system Master Reset.
NOTE: NOTE: This procedure will clear all CMDTCs . The DTCs must be recorded now if other (non SYNC®) diagnoses are to be performed after this procedure.
1. Remove any devices connected to the USB port(s), audio input jack (if equipped), or media hub (if equipped).
2. NOTE: After the APIM reset procedure has been completed the customer should be advised to reset their device following the manufacturer's instructions. Refer to the device's owner's manual and/or website for information on how to perform a Manual / Master Reset or Clear. Devices can be powered off and back on for a simple re-boot. In some cases the device's battery may also need to be removed and re-installed to complete a re-boot. In addition, cell phones may need to have SYNC® deleted from the Bluetooth menu prior to re-pairing the phone to the SYNC® system. Customer devices may affect the operation of SYNC® and this should be understood to prevent unnecessary diagnosis or repairs to the system.
Disconnect the negative battery cable for 1 minute, then reconnect it. Refer to Section 414-01 .
3. NOTE: Performing a Master Reset returns all preference settings to the factory defaults, erases all the phone book and call histories, and deletes any devices paired with the SYNC® system. On vehicles equipped MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch with navigation, the customer’s saved destination points (home address and points of interest) and preferences will also be lost with a Master Reset. Carry out a SYNC® system Master Reset. Refer to the owner's literature
4. Verify system function using the Multi-Media Interface Tester 105-00120, to test the audio output for the audio input jack/socket (if equipped), USB port(s), and Bluetooth. If equipped, use the RCA Adapter 105-00121 to test the audio output for the RCA jacks.
5. If a concern is still present return to the Symptom Charts.
SECTION 415-00: Information and Entertainment Systems
GENERAL PROCEDURES Procedure revision date: 01/07/2013
Page 1 of 2

Sparko

Established Member
Thank you very much guys....very informative. I tried what you suggested ( neg battery reset...then reset SYNC......it worked for about 20 minutes then it froze up again. I go into the dealer Tueday to have the APIM replaced. The dealer did not hesitate to say it needed to be replaced.

Ill let you know.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you decide to update the firmware, I would hook up a battery charger rather than running the car for 30 minutes.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I just updated my 2013 to SYNC v4.6 DR3T-14D544-AG.
I did mine using a battery charger instead of running the engine. The prompts differed from the instructions shown above.
"Install Application?"
"Installing Application" This appeared on the screen and stayed there for about 10 minutes and then the screen went blank with the exception of the time and then displayed the time and "Phon". There was a reboot and a voice announcement "Installation Complete", followed by another "Installation Complete", voice announcement. I re-paired the phone and phone book.
Everything went well and seems to work as advertised. Total time was about 12 minutes.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I also removed the SYNC device from my phone and removed the phone from SYNC before I did the upgrade.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I also removed the SYNC device from my phone and removed the phone from SYNC before I did the upgrade.
Good ideas, Snoopy! I haven't tried that prior to upgrading. Wonder if I might actually receive an "Installation Complete" message, if I did it this way...?

Sparko

Established Member
I want to thank everyone for the help provided in solving my Sync issues. Long story short...after 2 visits to the dealer ( extremely helpful dealer ) Ford authorized the replacement of the APIM board. The APIM they said was vehicle specific and after they received the parts from Ford they programmed the new APIM....problem solved. The system now works as Ford intended.

Users who are viewing this thread