T45 to T56 swap overview

Dave.O

Established Member
Just completed swapping the stock T45 for a T56 in my 99 Cobra.
here is a summary for anyone considering this:

1. You will need at T56 bell housing, I got mine from promotion performance $180, ask for Walt. You will also need appropriate trans to bellhousing bolts, I just picked up some grade 8's at a hardware store
  2. You will need a suitable drive shaft, I could not find any available used so I went with promotion performance. 560$ aluminum with 1350 Ujoints and appropriate yokes, once again talk to Walt.
  3. you will need an 03/04 pinion flange, not only is it wider and thicker but the male portion which goes into diff appeared longer. got mine from AM $50.
  4. I had to swap reverse light sensor to T56 from T45, pins are different. I also had to extend wires by 12" for the harness to reach passenger side.
  5. Speed sensor (VSS) is in same location and uses same connector.
  6. Throw out bearing and clutch fork are the same.
  7. reverse lock out: I used this module from samoco: $100 http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html. install was straight forward, and I spliced into existing #15 fuse. I did not want to splice into brakes as I try to heel toe (poorly) when tracking. Connector: AC delco 12101857. $12 from summit.
Overall, the install was very straight forward, if you can install a clutch you can complete this swap.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, Hoping my T-45 will hold the new power, but have been wondering how hard a t-56 swap would be... Gonna save this :)

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW when I did my swap in my 01 I found an 03/04 driveshaft and used a hybrid u-joint for pinion side flange. I hooked up the lock out to the brake lights. Never had a problem with it.

I think that was one of the best mods I did. The gear spacing is so much nicer with 6 gears.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice write-up Dave. Are you liking the T-56 as far as overall shifting vs. the T-45?

Dave.O

Established Member
I definitely prefer the T56 gear spacing (as mentioned by slo above) compared to the T45 and previous T3650s I have driven. I have T56's in both my 99 and 03 cobras now.
the 99 has 4.10's which match very well with the 0.8 ratio in 5th, its like having and extra forward 'power' gear.
My only knock against the T56 is the rough down shift from 4->3 at high track speeds (80+) on corner entry or mid corner. I have clutch quadrant and adjuster from MM, which help, but still could be better. I also have upgraded the t56's to bronze pads, Cf clutches, etc.
I also have bob's gaskets on both my T56's as well, highly recommend, no more messing with or scraping off sealant in the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to hear you're a happy customer, Dave. ;) My gasket kits do work very well.

Over the long haul you'll like your new T-56 a lot.

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
I wish I had these write up 10 years agon

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I definitely prefer the T56 gear spacing compared to the T45 and previous T3650s I have driven. I have T56's in both my 99 and 03 cobras now.

I also have Bob's gaskets on both my T56's as well, highly recommend, no more messing with or scraping off sealant in the car.
Thank you for your past business, Dave. :)\

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, what was the cost for the total swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave.O

Established Member
1000$ ish not including trans.
could be cheaper depending on where you source bell housing and drive shaft.
Could save 100$ by wiring reverse lock out to brake light

TimmyTurner

Established Member
Just completed swapping the stock T45 for a T56 in my 99 Cobra.
here is a summary for anyone considering this:

1. You will need at T56 bell housing, I got mine from promotion performance $180, ask for Walt. You will also need appropriate trans to bellhousing bolts, I just picked up some grade 8's at a hardware store
  2. You will need a suitable drive shaft, I could not find any available used so I went with promotion performance. 560$ aluminum with 1350 Ujoints and appropriate yokes, once again talk to Walt.
  3. you will need an 03/04 pinion flange, not only is it wider and thicker but the male portion which goes into diff appeared longer. got mine from AM $50.
  4. I had to swap reverse light sensor to T56 from T45, pins are different. I also had to extend wires by 12" for the harness to reach passenger side.
  5. Speed sensor (VSS) is in same location and uses same connector.
  6. Throw out bearing and clutch fork are the same.
  7. reverse lock out: I used this module from samoco: $100 http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html. install was straight forward, and I spliced into existing #15 fuse. I did not want to splice into brakes as I try to heel toe (poorly) when tracking. Connector: AC delco 12101857. $12 from summit.
Overall, the install was very straight forward, if you can install a clutch you can complete this swap.
Sorry for the simple question but what size/thread were the bolts for trans to bell housing? Saving this thread for later down on the road.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread