Take off art work

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Anyone besides me use take off parts for artwork?

Attachments

• 20180623_204646.jpg
    20180623_204646.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 369

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Looks better on the wall than covering the engine. I can't stand how every car company is doing this now (many have been doing it for a long time.) Is it just me or does anyone else like to actually see a motor when they pop a hood?

Ford holding out and not following this trend (at least for Mustangs) for so long was one of the things I really appreciated. I no longer own an 04 Cobra but just the ascetics of that DOHC with the supercharger sitting on top was one of the things I loved most about them. It was raw and you knew exactly what monster you were looking at. When Ford introduced the new DOHC 5.0 with just a small plastic horse shoe covering the wiring/fuel rails adorned with a 5.0 emblem, I just felt like it took away from the motor. Now with the 2018... I don't like it one bit.

New designers/engineers at every car manufacturer these days. "Just throw some plastic on it and call it a day."

/end rant

Last edited:

SVTFastBack

Established Member
What would happen when the hood latch cable breaks at a car show after you tell like a crowd of people there's $$$ of cosmetics under the hood. Wouldn't a train plow be better visually and practically? At least you'd show them you mean business instead of trying to look like an LS, could probably pull it off it they were painted red.

CV355

_
Established Member
Looks better on the wall than covering the engine. I can't stand how every car company is doing this now (many have been doing it for a long time.) Is it just me or does anyone else like to actually see a motor when they pop a hood?

Ford holding out and not following this trend (at least for Mustangs) for so long was one of the things I really appreciated. I no longer own an 04 Cobra but just the ascetics of that DOHC with the supercharger sitting on top was one of the things I loved most about them. It was raw and you knew exactly what monster you were looking at. When Ford introduced the new DOHC 5.0 with just a small plastic horse shoe covering the wiring/fuel rails adorned with a 5.0 emblem, I just felt like it took away from the motor. Now with the 2018... I don't like it one bit.

New designers/engineers at every car manufacturer these days. "Just throw some plastic on it and call it a day."

I am not a fan of engine covers. However, as an engineer myself, I have a notorious quote in the office: "Sheet metal and plastic can cover a lot of ugly. It's like the paper bag of engineering." Sometimes when I have to design some complex mechanism, I stick a 28-ga sheet metal cover over it. It keeps crap out, and keeps armchair-quarterbacks from trying to poke holes in it without understanding why it's there. Sometimes you can't make something look pretty, like me for example, but you can cover it up and hope nobody notices.

But in the case of engines? The cover doesn't really do anything- dust and grime are going to get right up in there. Fuse/junction box covers? Ok, makes sense. COP covers? Ok, I can understand that. But covering the whole engine? Why??

7aa747104a49209401657ce62cca04d0.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I am not a fan of engine covers. However, as an engineer myself, I have a notorious quote in the office: "Sheet metal and plastic can cover a lot of ugly. It's like the paper bag of engineering." Sometimes when I have to design some complex mechanism, I stick a 28-ga sheet metal cover over it. It keeps crap out, and keeps armchair-quarterbacks from trying to poke holes in it without understanding why it's there. Sometimes you can't make something look pretty, like me for example, but you can cover it up and hope nobody notices.

But in the case of engines? The cover doesn't really do anything- dust and grime are going to get right up in there. Fuse/junction box covers? Ok, makes sense. COP covers? Ok, I can understand that. But covering the whole engine? Why??

View attachment 1497045

A little sound deadening is all I can see (DI tick), and that's if the shield is insulated.

Also, I have a few old Eatons I plan on doing something with. I'm thinking rotorpack book ends.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I have a 16' yote engine cover and coil covers on the garage walls. Set of Fox GT tail lenses on the wall. Badges, procharger bracket, all sorts of stuff decorating the garage walls.

Users who are viewing this thread