Talk me out of a GT500

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
I’ve started to do something similar to you.
I wanted a termi since forever hated myself within the week of buying every other car I have.

Get the ****ing gt500

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

merkyworks

Established Member
My GT500 is my only car/daily driver, put about around 10K miles a year on her. Best freaking car I have ever owned!!!
Coyotes are good motors and they do respond well to boost but they will never have the low end torque a GT500 has. That's what makes driving a GT500 so much fun and easy, cause you don't have to rev it out to get going.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You wont be disappointed at all. Youre literally a used 13-14 TVS, BAP and tune away from nearly the same power level as the 13-14. You can get a NEW 13-14 TVS from Tasca Parts for $1900. Used TVS more like $1000-1200.

Stock for stock, ANY car with a factory blower will be fun as hell.

nickf2005

Established Member
Not once in the 48,000 miles on my 12 have I been upset in my decision to get it. Open roads, stop and go rush hour, and stop light blasts are all an enjoyment. It's remained stock because of two reasons. 1. I don't want to spend the money. 2. It's fast enough the way it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The 6r80 consistently makes low 9 second passes STOCK with no mods. The 10r80 will surely be stronger and more reliable then the 6r80 but yea I hear ya I don't buy new either so ur options are limited.

I know in most instances a well prepped automatic is faster than a manual. That being said, I'm on my 6th Ford vehicle and I will never trust they're overdrive automatics beyond 100k miles. With me driving I give them 50k miles. I know this trans was co-developed with Chevy. I rarely buy new vehicles, so to get in my price range it would be 2024 or beyond, before I could afford a 2019 GT500.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

samshady

Established Member
My GT500 is my only car/daily driver, put about around 10K miles a year on her. Best freaking car I have ever owned!!!
Coyotes are good motors and they do respond well to boost but they will never have the low end torque a GT500 has. That's what makes driving a GT500 so much fun and easy, cause you don't have to rev it out to get going.
10k miles will probably be a low mileage for my use case.I put 6k mikes on my motorcycle in 4 months. It is good to hear you haven't had any issues though.

samshady

Established Member
Not once in the 48,000 miles on my 12 have I been upset in my decision to get it. Open roads, stop and go rush hour, and stop light blasts are all an enjoyment. It's remained stock because of two reasons. 1. I don't want to spend the money. 2. It's fast enough the way it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Is it ever "fast enough"? I'm totally in the don't want to spend money group though. The pulley and tune is just too inexpensive to pass up though.

nickf2005

Established Member
Is it ever "fast enough"? I'm totally in the don't want to spend money group though. The pulley and tune is just too inexpensive to pass up though.

Depending on the personality and levels of dopamine in their system, it may never be fast enough. I don't disagree that a pulley/tune is a quick way to another 80HP. However, if you're looking for an everyday car that's going to make you giggle right off the bat, the 500 is just that car. Easy triple digits just merging onto the interstate. Enough to go to jail without getting far into 4th gear. Hint... There's 2 more left. :D

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
You should just test drive a newer gt or whichever coyote your looking at and then test drive a gt500 ANY year and see which puts the bigger grin on your face and go with that choice. That’s what I did haha.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP,

Could go middle of the road and grab up a 2013 BOSS. Better than a GT, forged engine, and it handles MUCH better than a stock Shelby. $30,000 would net you a <30,000 mile unit.

just my 0.02

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Talk you out of a GT500.. ok I'll do my best

11 mpg on a good day
$35,000 (give or take) Price tag used Mustang

That's it, that's all I got. Everything else about the car is ****ing badass.

I love this guy, in this vid he does a pretty good job of breaking down a GT500 vs a Coyote car, however I think you probably owe it to yourself to test drive both and feel them both out for yourself. Good luck on your decision.

1st usa car

Established Member
Since you dont want or need to be the fastest -- Get the GT500 if you can handle the MPG and tires -- No regrets in the +3 yrs I have had mine - I still love it the same as when it came off the trailer. It still thrills me and its easy to drive mild or scary as shit --
And yes - there is such thing as fast enough -- I have no itch for any more mods just enjoying and enjoying daily---BTW all my mods were bought 2nd hand or super Blackfriday type sales - probably spent less than 4 grand on my mods --- around 800 fly horsepower and it handles.

samshady

Established Member
Talk you out of a GT500.. ok I'll do my best

11 mpg on a good day
$35,000 (give or take) Price tag used Mustang

That's it, that's all I got. Everything else about the car is ****ing badass.

I love this guy, in this vid he does a pretty good job of breaking down a GT500 vs a Coyote car, however I think you probably owe it to yourself to test drive both and feel them both out for yourself. Good luck on your decision.
I follow Alex on youtube. He has a lot of info and I like how he just puts it out there.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I personally would hate to end up buying a Mustang GT (plentiful at all performance levels) and then see a GT500 and think to myself "I could have had one of those unique GT500 Mustangs". If you spend your money on a Mustang GT instead, you will watch it depreciate much faster and you may end up in a place where "if" you change your mind, you may not be in the position to get into a newer 2011ish GT500 as you are able to now, because of the depreciation hit on the GT.

The Shelby GT500's depreciate also, of course they do, there is no magic, but at a far slower pace when compared to a Mustang GT comparing "like" year, miles and options.......

My thoughts - Grab the "Big Boy" now. Some call it "Man Car".

R

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
What year GT are you wanting?

Anyone can buy a GT and they are everywhere......

I rarely see a GT500 around town.

If your not wanting to mod it much then get a GT500. At least you will start with a supercharger. Pulley and tune and you will reach your goals way cheaper then modding a GT.

Good luck

11SVTPP

Established Member
Get the GT500. I just bought a 2011 GT500. I wanted something fun, fast, flashy and reasonably affordable at my level. It is all that and more. Its pretty much a daily driver/track car. Every time I take it out someone comes up and wants to talk about it and people are always looking at it in traffic.

Here are some things to be aware of in your buying decision. I put a pulley and tune on mine right away and picked up very little power on 91 octane. (about 25whp for 503whp) It seems some of the 11-12 cars may suffer from false knock timing retard which can limit power. Its worth reading Jon Lund's thoughts on this.

If buying again I would look closely at the 2010 model. In some instances they can be had a little cheaper that the 11-12's. A friends 2010 made 468whp on 91 octane completely stock, same day, dyno that I made 503whp with a pulley and tune.

Get a ride in one if possible to feel the power and feel the level of ride stiffness. My PP car rides a bit stiffer than my friends 2010 non PP car. They both flat out handle very well.

Don't miss out! Get the GT500!!

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Lots of good points above. Buying a modded car (GT500 or other) is a winning proposition on the financial side (if you know you're going to mod anyway) especially if you can get info on the history of the vehicle & develop a good relationship with the seller.

Here is a practical consideration...you might have an insurance premium price advantage with a GT500. In my comparison shopping I'm saving a lot of money buying a collector car policy vs a regular auto policy. I don't know if a company like Grundy or Haggerty will insure a regular late model GT as a collector car...maybe so... Just something to consider.

That said...I have seen some killer deals on some clean, blown late model coyotes with full suspension, built rears, etc. It seems like people can't give them away....lots of beef for about 10k less than a GT500. I admit that I was tempted.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
JLT intakes are known to induce false knock. Loose manufacture tolerances of the MAF section. Get a PMAS and dont worry about it.

samshady

Established Member
Get the GT500. I just bought a 2011 GT500. I wanted something fun, fast, flashy and reasonably affordable at my level. It is all that and more. Its pretty much a daily driver/track car. Every time I take it out someone comes up and wants to talk about it and people are always looking at it in traffic.

Here are some things to be aware of in your buying decision. I put a pulley and tune on mine right away and picked up very little power on 91 octane. (about 25whp for 503whp) It seems some of the 11-12 cars may suffer from false knock timing retard which can limit power. Its worth reading Jon Lund's thoughts on this.

If buying again I would look closely at the 2010 model. In some instances they can be had a little cheaper that the 11-12's. A friends 2010 made 468whp on 91 octane completely stock, same day, dyno that I made 503whp with a pulley and tune.

Get a ride in one if possible to feel the power and feel the level of ride stiffness. My PP car rides a bit stiffer than my friends 2010 non PP car. They both flat out handle very well.

Don't miss out! Get the GT500!!
Listening to Alex's video on the different years of Gt500 there's nothing wrong with the 2010 but to avoid if possible. I called 2 performance shops and they also recommended leaving it as a last choice due to the one year model.

Users who are viewing this thread