Terminator Steering Rack (How to get it!)

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
@ RoadZOmbie

On Cardone's website, the part number for the rack HOUSING you have is 22-233. So, sounds like your vendor and/or Cardone has some 'splainin' to do. Cardone's tech department should be able to give you information on whether or not they strip the internals completely and just reuse the housings... or it was a mistake.

What does the steering feel like with this newly installed rack?

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
@ RoadZOmbie

On Cardone's website, the part number for the rack HOUSING you have is 22-233. So, sounds like your vendor and/or Cardone has some 'splainin' to do. Cardone's tech department should be able to give you information on whether or not they strip the internals completely and just reuse the housings... or it was a mistake.

What does the steering feel like with this newly installed rack?

I have not installed it yet. I emailed cardone but haven't gotten a reply.

But I did a bit more searching and a member here contacted cardone and the emails went like this....

Dear Sir/Ma'am, I am inquiring about the differences between two of your remanufactured steering racks for Ford Mustangs. I am looking for a steering rack for my 98 mustang cobra. I noticed that there are two part numbers listed 22-2000 (production spec SPR-ZM) and 22-238 (production spec SPR-ZK). I was wondering what are the differences in the specifications of these two racks? Are different parts used to remanufacture these racks to spec? Thank you very much for your time.

Cardone's 1st reply:
Adam, thank you for your e-mail. The difference with these two part numbers is:
22-238 - Over all length - 48 1/2"
2 1/2 turns lock to lock
22-2000 - Over all length 48 3/8'
turns lock to lock - 2 3/16"

My second email:
Thank you for the quick reply. From my research I understand that the cobra racks (22-2000) have upgraded t-bars in comparison to the other ford mustang racks. Does Cardone use cobra spec t-bars for the rebuild? Thank you for your time.

Cardone's 2nd reply:
Yes, the 22-2000 has a torsion bar that is 0.230" diameter compared to the 22238 which has a 0.212" .

Now, we also have a conversion in the system for the 22-2000 which takes a 22-233 and convert it to 22-2000.

The spool valve on the 22-233 has the smaller diameter torsion bar. That is telling me that we can not assure that the unit that you buy will have the larger torsion bar.

The torque on all of these racks (233, 238 and 2000) is close enough that you will most likely will not notice it.

The rack travel in the 22-238 is about 0.500" more than the 22-2000 which tells me that if you install a 22238 on a 222000 application the wheel will most likely rub in the wheel well.

End of emails.

So my understanding from the bold is that the rack I received is a 22-233 converted to a 22-2000. It's going on a 96 cobra so we should be fine.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
2K Cobra R's came factory with 265/40/18's, and not 285's.

Andy M

Established Member
All,

I am experiencing some pretty annoying squeeking when I turn my wheel back and forth while sitting still or at low speeds. Have not done much troubleshooting yet, but it sounds like it may be the rack? it sounds like worn bushings.

Anyone here run into this on a Terminator?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Found another outlet for steering racks while reading through a thread in the Open Track section. Company is called AGR. They have the Cobra R steering rack for '94-'04 listed as part# 715573 Ford Applications - AGR Performance - MB Motorsports. This would be the way to go if you want even more steering feel.

Original post is updated with this info as well.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Found another outlet for steering racks while reading through a thread in the Open Track section. Company is called AGR. They have the Cobra R steering rack for '94-'04 listed as part# 715573 Ford Applications - AGR Performance - MB Motorsports. This would be the way to go if you want even more steering feel.

Original post is updated with this info as well.

Just as a heads up for people, the R rack is $429.

Great info and very helpful, subbing

Jroc

Established Member
Is the terminator steering rack any different than the Mach/GT mustangs?

Yes a Terminators steering rack is it's own piece, and was developed for the car.

A Terminators steering feel is noticeably better than any other Foxbody/SN95 Mustangs steering feel that I've ever felt. A Cobra R's might be better, but other than that if you want a better steering feel in a SN95 Mustang you will need manual steering.(which will also means manual braking in a DOHC Modular car as no powersteering pump = no hydroboost, and vacuum assist is too big to clear the driver side head) I think MM also makes some fancy power steering kit or something that's suppose to offer really good feel and feedback, but it's not cheap if I remember correctly. A Termintaors fat steering wheel is also a very nice piece and I preferred it's feel to my old FR500 steering wheel I had in my old 99 GT.

It's turning radius is also worse than my Lightnings.... by quite a lot. The turning radius was lessened to fit the 275's up front without getting in to rubbing issues.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Appreciate the info,I believe I meant the steering shaft (from the steering wheel to the rack and pinion) I'm looking into the swap for my Mach. Trying to decide if I should do just the steering rack and pinion and/or the steering shaft all together. Sorry for the obvious question, I just worded it incorrectly.

PhaidOut

Established Member
Just researching the topic as I really want to eliminate the rub on my 01 Cobra. I keep seeing the Cardone part number with SPR ZM being listed as for Mach1 and Cobra in 03-04. Are they for sure different?

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Just researching the topic as I really want to eliminate the rub on my 01 Cobra. I keep seeing the Cardone part number with SPR ZM being listed as for Mach1 and Cobra in 03-04. Are they for sure different?

I'm running 18x9.5 00R wheels with 275/35/18s On my Mach and I have no rubbing issues.

last5liter

Established Member
Bought a cardone 22-2000 (there part for SPR-ZM) and the housing has SPR-KD ???
Any idea if that means I have the larger 03/04 cobra tbar, or something else??

Is there anyway short of opening the gear to determine what guts your rack has???

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Bought a cardone 22-2000 (there part for SPR-ZM) and the housing has SPR-KD ???
Any idea if that means I have the larger 03/04 cobra tbar, or something else??

Is there anyway short of opening the gear to determine what guts your rack has???

the consensus is that they are mass assembled using all different housings, with different internals. However, they go on to say that they can't guarantee that the upgraded internals go into every ZM rack....kind of a crappy deal. You'll have to go off feel.

last5liter

Established Member
I have not installed it yet. I emailed cardone but haven't gotten a reply.

But I did a bit more searching and a member here contacted cardone and the emails went like this....

Dear Sir/Ma'am, I am inquiring about the differences between two of your remanufactured steering racks for Ford Mustangs. I am looking for a steering rack for my 98 mustang cobra. I noticed that there are two part numbers listed 22-2000 (production spec SPR-ZM) and 22-238 (production spec SPR-ZK). I was wondering what are the differences in the specifications of these two racks? Are different parts used to remanufacture these racks to spec? Thank you very much for your time.

Cardone's 1st reply:
Adam, thank you for your e-mail. The difference with these two part numbers is:
22-238 - Over all length - 48 1/2"
2 1/2 turns lock to lock
22-2000 - Over all length 48 3/8'
turns lock to lock - 2 3/16"

My second email:
Thank you for the quick reply. From my research I understand that the cobra racks (22-2000) have upgraded t-bars in comparison to the other ford mustang racks. Does Cardone use cobra spec t-bars for the rebuild? Thank you for your time.

Cardone's 2nd reply:
Yes, the 22-2000 has a torsion bar that is 0.230" diameter compared to the 22238 which has a 0.212" .

Now, we also have a conversion in the system for the 22-2000 which takes a 22-233 and convert it to 22-2000.

The spool valve on the 22-233 has the smaller diameter torsion bar. That is telling me that we can not assure that the unit that you buy will have the larger torsion bar.

The torque on all of these racks (233, 238 and 2000) is close enough that you will most likely will not notice it.

The rack travel in the 22-238 is about 0.500" more than the 22-2000 which tells me that if you install a 22238 on a 222000 application the wheel will most likely rub in the wheel well.

End of emails.

So my understanding from the bold is that the rack I received is a 22-233 converted to a 22-2000. It's going on a 96 cobra so we should be fine.

any feed back on if this "converted" 22-2000 rack performs like a 03-04 SPR-ZM rack should?

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
I need a rack now also.. but after reading all this.. and pretty much taking a crap shoot at getting a correctly spec'd rack.. I think I rather take mine down to a local rebuilder and have them rebuild my actual rack...

Users who are viewing this thread