The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

Satyr

Established Member
Just got done cutting mine yesterday. Did a full coil on all 4 corners and plan to leave all the ISO's in. Won't have them on for about a month but will have pictures up once they're on.

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
got a few better pics. recut the front springs to lower it a little more. im very pleased with the result and the ride quality is nice!

cobra4.gif

cobra7.gif

cobra9.gif

Icecold

Established Member
Hey so im not to sure if this forum is dead or not but I just got a cobra a month or so ago and finally just got the balls to cut my springs this weekend. Wasnt hard at all but afterwards on flat ground in my garage I dont measure even from the ground to the wheel well but measure even from the top of the rim to the wheel well in the fronts and rear is off by 1/2 need to fix that. Why would it be different from the ground up but the same from the rim to the wheel well ? What do you people measure from and did you find any differences in it ? As well as the fronts now bottom out going through dips in the road. Only cut 7/8ths not a full coil up front and 3/4 rear. I love the look/stance. Would the alligment help out my bottoming out problem ? Or should i get better adj shocks ? The reason i did it was a free mod but if i need to get front shocks so i dont wreck my tires it would be worth it. Or are people rolling there front fenders ? Sorry for all the questions but it has bother me a fair bit and answers/wisdom would be very nice.

Thanks

P.S im a vert if that makes a difference.

Jefe

Established Member
What do you people measure from and did you find any differences in it ?
I measured from ground to fender. If theres a difference from side to side then its most likely due to the orientation of the end of the spring in the bottom perch.

As well as the fronts now bottom out going through dips in the road. Only cut 7/8ths not a full coil up front and 3/4 rear. I love the look/stance. Would the alligment help out my bottoming out problem ? Or should i get better adj shocks ? The reason i did it was a free mod but if i need to get front shocks so i dont wreck my tires it would be worth it. Or are people rolling there front fenders ?
I cut less than that and I bottom out through some dips as well. Im going to get aftermarket springs one of these days. Im sure Ill do shocks at the same time. Definitely roll front and rear fenders. You dont want them cutting into your tires

Satyr

Established Member
Just dropped my rear today, finished up a bit ago. Took about 2 hours to do it all, but I also didn't take my exhaust off and that impeded the amount of IRS drop I could get. The car sits even (did almost 1 full coil) and dropped about 1.5". I left all the bushings in.

I am expecting a little more settle, as the springs haven't been under load in over 2 years.
I'll have before and after pictures in a few days. Plan to do the fronts in about a week.

Satyr

Established Member
Got the front finished up today. Took much less time than the rear did. Had it all done in about 90 minutes, including jacking/tire removal.

I'm waiting for the springs to settle before snapping pictures, but they look really good to me. I've left all the ISOs in the front and rear. Pictures in a few days.

Venomous 03

Established Member
I just cut my springs today.1 full coil in the front and 3/4 in the back.all isos in except bottom rear ones.expecting it to settle a lil more.if not,im thinking of going 1 1/4 front and one full in the back.ill post pics soon.

Butterybunz

Established Member
Bumping old thread, sorry.

I can do this to my 99 vert right? I have read through everything, just wanting to make sure!

Jefe

Established Member
As long as they are stock Cobra springs, yes. I took another 2" off my front springs so its even lower now. Wound up going with the Steeda Sport springs in the rear with no isos. The perfect drop IMO. Ill get pics up soon

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
I read thru the write up a few times and dove in today. The front was a breeze, the rear i was hesitant cause ive lowered an irs stang before and it was not that easy when u take it all apart. I did almost a full coil up front and 3/4 in the rear but wishin i did a full coil. im gona drive it this week and see how it settles. Might cut the other 1/4 next weekend. Thanx for write up!

Jefe

Established Member
The front was a breeze, the rear i was hesitant cause ive lowered an irs stang before and it was not that easy when u take it all apart.
Any problems with the rear? Ive had mine hang up a couple times now. Just take a prybar and force the rear end out of the upper IRS mount brackets. Careful though, its heavy and will fall hard if you dont have it supported

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
No problems, it dropped right down. It was way easier then actually disassembling each side to remove the springs (which ive done before and dont want to do again). Ive drivin it for the past 2 days and honestly dont like the way it rides up front. It settled pretty low, i cant even stick 2 fingers between the tire and fender. I cut 1 full coil FYI. Im gona try to clock the coil differently and see if it brings it up a bit. If not guess its time to save up for some H&R Race springs.

Jefe

Established Member
Left the isos in? You could replace those with Maximum Motorsports urethane isos. Might get you another 1/2". Ya its best to always cut less and see how you like it. You dont like the way it rides or don't like the ride height? Ride quality should not have changed unless your shocks need to be re-valved. CC plates as well?

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Ill try the Iso's from MM. I love the height up front but not how it rides. No CC's yet and im still running stock Bilsteins with almost 100K miles on them so im guessing those dont help. I should proly swing those first before i get a set of spings. Also gona cut another 1/4 out of the rear to make it a full coil cause the it still sits higher then i like. I found a pic of Red Turtle's old 04 CO Cobra (hope he doesnt mind) and i love the way it sits. Im going for the same look.

26804300138_large.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^Justin(Red Turtle) and I lowered that car at my house, and I'm pretty sure it was one full coil cut when we were done. I'm sure he'll see this and post up.

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
Anybody do this with welded in flsfc and have trouble getting the irs jacked back up to get the rear irs bolts back in? I've been having a helluva time with my car. It is so stiff that when I jack the irs assembly up it lifts the car off the rear jackstands and won't come within 3-4" of getting the irs bolts back in

Users who are viewing this thread