The dreaded 3.73 Gear whine...

twistedneck

Established Member
I have the same thing, loud as hell, same speed range. its very annoying and it got way worse after I put on stiffer control arm bushings top and bottom. got louder still when I removed the 5lb weights from each side that are there for that very reason - to get rid of that resonance.

next step is changing down to a 3.31 gear hope that fixes the noise.

Forgot to mention that the dealer replaced the entire assembly bearings, pinion, everything and re-shimmed it again.. same thing.

Funny5.0

Established Member
I have the 60-80 whine as well with my Ford Racing 3.73's. They were installed by a reputable shop. The gears were blamed in my case not the install but who really knows...
Anyway I've gotten used to it over time and rarely notice it anymore.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How about a 60-80 whine that gets louder when getting OFF the gas and coasting?

twistedneck

Established Member
Actually that is exactly when mine makes the noise. I don't really hear anything when on the gas. Maybe a tiny bit around 80.

Me too noise goes away a little on the gas, sometimes gets loud coasting.. its just a loud noisy setup and if you have it you know it. the only way to change the harmonics is to use a different rear end housing, a torsen diff or equivalent, or change the ring and pinion, anything to alter that frequency resonance.

last5liter

Established Member
Just recently had a shop install new motive (Italy made) 3.73 gears and a Tru-Trac diff ect. The only noise is get is under very light cruise. As soon as I apply a little throttle or coast the noise goes away. Is this indicative of a gear set-up issue? or is this due to the T-56 manual and also the rear control arms with heim style bushings?

imeyers302

Established Member
Me too noise goes away a little on the gas, sometimes gets loud coasting.. its just a loud noisy setup and if you have it you know it. the only way to change the harmonics is to use a different rear end housing, a torsen diff or equivalent, or change the ring and pinion, anything to alter that frequency resonance.

I have the torsen with 3.73. Always had a slight whine on the highway also between 60-80. Since i changed the driveshaft to a dss carbon and changed the upper control arm it is a lot louder. Still only in the 60-80 range but with the windows closed it can get annoying. Windows down and i dont hear a thing.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I had whine with 3:73, 3:55 and 3:15 when using the same shop to set up the gears. Took the car to another shop "Power By The Hour" with 3:15s and no more whine. Everything else was the same.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If that bunch of stupids are still around. They are going to ride out the storm.
Not me!!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm an Amsoil guy, and I'm here to tell you, Severe Gear 75W-140 isn't going to make a difference. If you want to quiet the rear gears, use this and never look back.

Red Line Heavy Shockproof

I didn't notice any difference in mpg efficiency or added sluggishness, but man were the gears so much quieter.

Quoting for future reference...

twistedneck

Established Member
Quick update - I have now destroyed two 8.8 rear ends.. both had the horrid whine. the original 3.73 and a sealed GT used 3.55 version. I'm now upgrading to the M88 from Moser.. Eaton True Track, 33mm gun drilled splined axles, no more c-clip attachment, long studs.. 3.15 gears.

3.15 is needed if you plan on keeping the MT82 - mine has survived this long.. yea its loud too.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I also have it. Changed the oil today with red line, added a thing of friction modifier, and changed the bearings and seals. Pinion angle is dead on-2 so that’s not an issue. Will post updates o see if the oil quiets it Down.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread