The Force is Strong"R" With This One

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Street tires are here. Now to decide on wheels for the fall/winter months....

IMG_1232.JPG

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Finally on the long road home with the R. Got it all Covered with trakktape and tracwrap . Took about 2 hours. If you are looking for an MSRP deal on a Raptor, RS, GT350 hit up Tony Komadina at Sanderson Ford in AZ. Tell him Terrance referred you. He has a few in stock RS and Raptors that they are looking to move. Sorry guys, no other R models available for 17/18. Thanks again Tony and Sanderson Ford AZ!!..

IMG_1246.JPG

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Best way to get to know your new toy. I loved the 4hr trip home in my '14 GT500.
Beautiful ride, my favorite color Terry!
-J

Exactly. We got real intimate on the 700 mile trip home

Damn bro that is beautiful!! You're driving it back lol??!! Holy shit no trailer?
Crazy I know. I bought this car to drive it brother. Meant to be driven

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Exactly. We got real intimate on the 700 mile trip home
Crazy I know. I bought this car to drive it brother. Meant to be driven

Yes.

I've gone about 3600 miles on two trips alone and can totally relate. You gotta break free and let go a little. Get out and enjoy your purchase instead of just saving it for somebody else.

I'm really digging this car you got T. Mine too!:)

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Yes.

I've gone about 3600 miles on two trips alone and can totally relate. You gotta break free and let go a little. Get out and enjoy your purchase instead of just saving it for somebody else.

I'm really digging this car you got T. Mine too!:)
Wish you were closer so you could take the R for a spin. I am grappling with finding the words to articulate the differences between the two cars. Seems like it's all been said already though

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
The Drive

Here is how the car looked when I first laid eyes on it. Dealer did a great job installing the splitter and removing the spring spacers. Made the process super easy. The drive home from Arizona was about 700 miles. Gave me a chance to get very intimate with the car. I have driven an R on track, but never on the street.

DSC_0955.jpg

I have to say that the R and the "standard" GT350 are two totally different vehicles. Although on paper the number of parts that separate them are not extensive, the whole package is greater than the sum of its parts. The car is more responsive, steering feels like it provides more feedback, and the turn in is much greater. After all the work I did to my last car it didn't feel like this one did. Definitely lighter and everything is more exaggerated. Oddly enough the interior is quieter, and the audio is WAY better. The shaker system and extra mid speakers in the door make things way more enjoyable. On smooth roads the car is like riding on glass. Get to a rough patch and the bronco is definitely trying to buck you out of the seat. A totally fun car to drive, but I could see it beating you up pretty good if you have wide hips, a bad lower back, or rough roads.

Xpel Tracwrap, Trakk Tape, and ZL1 Addons Rock Guards

In order to protect the car on the way home I invested in the Xpel Tracwrap, Trakk Tape, and ZL1 Addons Rock Guards. Both of the temporary PPF films have their pluses and minuses. For the cost of the Xpel Tracwrap you do not get a lot of film. I only had enough to lay strips on the lower 1/4 of the hood. For the same price you get about triple the amount of Trakk Tape. However there was a distinct difference in the way the film's attached to the car. If you look at the photos you can see how smooth Xpel on the hood laid down, and the edges did not lift. The Xpel is definitely more tacky and easier to manage, with that it is also thinner than the Trakk Tape. The Trakk Tape had a tendency to lift and the edges did not stay down as well. By the time I got home I had to stop several time to cut off pieces that were flapping. It provides more protection since it is thicker, but the sacrifice is that it is not as forgiving if you do not lay it down smooth and flat. The Xpel definitely handles the curves of the car better. Overall each product will get the job done, but the Xpel will lay down smoother and last longer. However, you will need to buy about 3 rolls of the Xpel to equal the amount of coverage you can get with 1 roll of Trakk Tape.

Installation of the Rock Guards was simple and definitely kept the doors and rear quarter panels safe. A MUST for these cars, and they manage to stay hidden.

DSC_0958.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

ZL1 Addons Titanium Lug Nuts
Installed these along with the factory locking nuts. I like that they are about the same length as the factory lock, and match up very well. They are definitely lighter than the stock lug nuts, but I need to find a small scale to weigh them.

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0975.jpg

LLoyds GT350R Floor/Trunk Liner

Ordered these from Mustang Depot. They are pretty straight forward in regard to install. The trunk liner replaces the factory piece and attaches with the same style of hardware. It requires you use some Velcro strips to keep the edges nice and snug. I picked up a few extra squares of Velcro from the local hardware store to keep the green trunk release and edges nice and snug.

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
DIB is still my all time favorite color. If it was an option I would have ordered it. You are a lucky man.

Once you see the color variations in Lightning Blue based on lighting conditions, you'll forget all about DIB.

Street tires are here. Now to decide on wheels for the fall/winter months....

You're using 325 on all for corners?? :eek:

... You're driving it back lol??!! Holy shit no trailer?

I drove mine 450 miles when I picked it up. I could've had them trailer it to me, but the expense and increased delivery time wasn't worth it. Plus, the car is meant to be driven, not preserved like an artifact.

Yes.

Didn't you only have 5000 miles on your '09 GT500 when you sold it? That's a big attitude change, Tob! Though, you have had your GT350 for a year and still only have 3600 miles on it. Baby steps, I guess.

j/k ;)

... I am grappling with finding the words to articulate the differences between the two cars. ...

I wish I could drive a regular GT350 to experience the difference. All the professional reviewers that drive both say it's like they're two different cars altogether. Your review of your drive back is just like mine. I've been playing with the different modes lately, and I've found that, oddly enough, Sport mode actually rides better than Normal mode on the street. Normal mode has me bucking and bouncing all over the place. Sport mode seems to calm it down. You would think the opposite would be true.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Didn't you only have 5000 miles on your '09 GT500 when you sold it? That's a big attitude change, Tob! Though, you have had your GT350 for a year and still only have 3600 miles on it. Baby steps, I guess.

I wish I could drive a regular GT350 to experience the difference. All the professional reviewers that drive both say it's like they're two different cars altogether. Your review of your drive back is just like mine. I've been playing with the different modes lately, and I've found that, oddly enough, Sport mode actually rides better than Normal mode on the street. Normal mode has me bucking and bouncing all over the place. Sport mode seems to calm it down. You would think the opposite would be true.

I don't even think my 500 had 5,000. I'm not a fan of snow or cold weather driving which only leaves a few summer months. The bulk of the GT350 mileage has been two trips to Georgia from NY. Otherwise it would be pretty low.

Those "professional" reviewers you speak of have little mechanical understanding and are typically swayed when pixie dust is in the air. Minimizing unsprung weight and a loud exhaust go a long way here.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ordered one last week in black, no badging or insignias and specified R wing, etc. Looking forward to putting it on.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Stopped in to Imperial Works In Sacramento to see the car briefly today. Things are still curing but all I can say is wow! The car looks better than I expected. David and his guys are putting in work. Can not wait to get it out in the sun for a photoshoot

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Dammit, man! Now I'm gonna have to break out the machines and go to town on my paint finish! Thanks a lot! >:-[

Users who are viewing this thread