The forgotten 2002 Cobra

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Interesting...I was one of the lucky ones that bought a new 99 Cobra that had the power issue. I'll never forget that

You guys actually made out well though. Did you get the hp fix? My buddy had a 99, he got the hp fix which I believe that included extrude honing the intake manifold, tuning/recalibrated ecu/pcm. He also ended getting a bunch free cobra gear/attire, lol, leather cobra jacket and hats etc...

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
No doubt.

It’s also interesting to me how, over the years, I may have seen maybe ONE 03/04 for sale. In contrast, I’ve seen at least 30/40 GT500’s. Makes me wonder whether they think a Terminator isn’t a great enough leap over the 01/02’s to justify the extra expenditure.

50,000 GT500s have been made vs under 20k terminators.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
You guys actually made out well though. Did you get the hp fix? My buddy had a 99, he got the hp fix which I believe that included extrude honing the intake manifold, tuning/recalibrated ecu/pcm. He also ended getting a bunch free cobra gear/attire, lol, leather cobra jacket and hats etc...

Yes I sure did get the fix! Exactly what you said with the car, they sent me a leather jacket with the VIN on the inside. Still have it.

99BOSS

Established Member
Interesting story! I remember getting some 2000 Cobra brochures before they cancelled production for that year. I also bought a new 99 Cobra and went through the recall. The biggest culprit in the power deficit was the stock mufflers. I cut those off and put some dynomax bullets in there, made a huge difference. I did take it in for the recall however to get the new extrude honed intake and PCM reflash. Right after that I added 4.10 gears and a chris johnson tune. Then the car was a screamer! I got the jacket too and still have it. Wasnt a bad experience but Ford made up for it with the 03-04 cars! I sold my 99 and bought a new 04 when they came out. Didnt have to do anything to it for a while powerwise lol.

Jiffy

Established Member
I bought one of the 2002 Cobra's brand new - still have it - but I've gone the whole Terminator clone route with it, interior, hood, trunk, scoops, drivetrain, 2.3L Whipple etc. They imported about 100 of the 2002 Cobras, but they also imported a couple of hundred 2001 Cobras which is why there are 20-odd for sale at any time.

They have a small but enthusiastic following in Australia, and still command reasonable money for a tidy example, but the real victims of the 2015-> Mustangs being imported are the 2005-2014 cars that were privately imported and converted - they used to fetch BIG money but the newer cars have scalped that market.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
They were also supposed to produce a mystic color that year. It was more of a gold. I remember seeing that.

jmsa540

Established Member

quad

Established Member
The 03/04 Cobra is the reason that we have Mclaren P1's, Koenigsegg Agera's, and all of today's supercars, exist.
I'd like to believe that. But are you sure? There were faster super cars than the Terminator available even before the 03/04 Cobras. I can believe it influenced muscle cars like the Hellcat etc. - but not supercars, or even the Vette. The Z06 was faster during those years as well - stock compared to stock.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd like to believe that. But are you sure? There were faster super cars than the Terminator available even before the 03/04 Cobras. I can believe it influenced muscle cars like the Hellcat etc. - but not supercars, or even the Vette. The Z06 was faster during those years as well - stock compared to stock.

It was a joke.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member

It forced the Z06 to run for the hills. It started beating the C5, and with a pulley it would take on the Z06 and since then the Mustang has been compared to the Corvette on performance, even more so once the Camaro died off. Chevy knew they had the Cobra on the heels of the Z06

Users who are viewing this thread