The Random Military Aircraft Pic/Vids thread

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I was TDY to Wright-Patt this week and had some time to kill so I visited the Air Force museum there. 4 hours and 4 miles of walking through hangers & exhibits and I still didn't get to see everything! That place rocks! Free to the public and open 362 days a year. If you're ever near Dayton it's well worth your time.

U.M.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I was TDY to Wright-Patt this week and had some time to kill so I visited the Air Force museum there. 4 hours and 4 miles of walking through hangers & exhibits and I still didn't get to see everything! That place rocks! Free to the public and open 362 days a year. If you're ever near Dayton it's well worth your time.

U.M.
Do you think you could see it all in 1 day? Or is 2 days needed. I'm gonna try to hit that place next Spring when I'm passing through that area.

331 LX

Established Member
Do you think you could see it all in 1 day? Or is 2 days needed. I'm gonna try to hit that place next Spring when I'm passing through that area.

I've been twice and you really need two days to take it all in. It's amazing. I haven't been in 4-5 years but I imagine it's just as good as it used to be!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Depends on how you view the exhibits. If you just want to walk through the exhibit and look at the planes you could do it in a day easy. However if you want to stop and read all the placards that are plastered around the exhibits you'll need 2!

In May they added/opened the new Memphis Belle exhibit. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

U.M.

P.S. The Dayton airshow is this weekend.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Here are a few pics I took at the museum the other day.

IMG_4592 (2).JPG
IMG_4594 (2).JPG
IMG_4595 (2).JPG
IMG_4602 (2).JPG
IMG_4620 (2).JPG
IMG_4632 (2).JPG
IMG_4640 (2).JPG
IMG_4650 (2).JPG
IMG_4655 (2).JPG
IMG_4657 (2).JPG

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Those are some famous, FAMOUS birds there fellas, including the one that ended ww2.

I got to shake the hand of the pilot of the Enola Gay, Tibbets, when he was touring with his book.

The amount time and energy (pardon the pun) that went in to those two bombs changed the course of human history forever, mind boggling stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
F89_zpsxlkmmteu.jpg

F89L_zps39tfphvl.jpg

F89%20power%20points_zpsjld6l8yd.jpg

F89%20Brakes_zpsusxachwz.jpg

genie_zpsz50xx3mx.jpg

genie%20plaque_zpsxvwvmrcd.jpg

"They brought in three former ground crew guys who had been with the Unit back in the days we flew these jets and they told a most remarkable story.

Once a month they were tasked with doing a "max load" which amounted to bringing enough Genie missiles from the WSA to arm every plane on the ramp fully.

One day they got an out of cycle scramble to do a max load. They did their usual thing and while waiting for the order to download something strange happened. Cars came hauling ass down to flightline and missile launch keys were handed up to the WSO's, then even more oddly the canopies closed up. Imagine the shock of the ground crew when engines cranked and every F89 on the ramp blasted off into the sky with live nukes on board and the now empty nuke trailers went back to the WSA.

That was October of 1962, the Cuban Missile Crisis. Those jets went up to intercept potential Russian bombers coming over the pole. The way those old timers told that story gave me goosebumps. It was just amazing to hear it from the been there done that crowd, quite a treat."

Users who are viewing this thread