Things from childhood you still resent your parents for?

Black Sex

Established Member
I also had the 8pm bedtime, summer time really sucked. But I also had the cool R/C cars, BB guns/real guns (age 6 or 7), the cool bikes, NES.
But....I also grew up in a single parent house with my dad who was an alcoholic untill the day he shot himself and Im the one that found him laying in the backyard when I was nine. I really resent that. You could almost say I hate him at times for putting me through that.

But I can say one thing, thing's will be different for my kids as they were for me

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Always got the toys I wanted... thing I hated was my dad worked so much.. I was 6 and he was my idol... only time I got to spend time with him was after he got cancer and had 3 months to live.. I resent that a lot... he did take me to a bills game though... got to meet jim kelly and go to his cafe and get the entire bills team autograph on a football.. but that got cremated with my father...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Green Ranger dragon flute, mom said we could get it after my cousins left because they were in town. Told her they only had a few, and she said not now. Went a week later and they were sold out.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
I'd say resent is a strong word but I joined the YMCA when i was about 8 years old for swimming lessons and got very good/fast very quick. I entered into competitions and had made it to a state final up in sacramento but my parents wouldn't pay for the trip. Their reasoning was that they just took me there to learn to swim and I accomplished that (i had almost drown a week before joining).

Leaves me wondering to this day if I could've been a pro swimmer lol.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Looking back, all I can really think of are skills like working on cars and what it actually takes to get a good job in this world. I didn't always have the newest video game system or whatever, but at this point I can't say I'd have it any other way. I've got a college degree, I'm employed, and never killed anyone, so I'd say they did a decent job at raising me.

scottminot

Established Member
The thing I resent the most is my parents never gave me any direction or encouragement growing up. They didn't care what my grades were as long as I passed and they didn't care what classes I took in high school. So naturally I took easy retard classes and never had to apply myself.

I'm 36 and still a slacker. I blame my parents mostly.

RedDemon91

Established Member
I grew up in a single parent household, my dad was killed when I was almost 2, my mom showered me in love and attention, I got lots of things when I was a child and am very grateful for everything I've ever gotten. I've also worked for a lot of it, I've been mowing lawns since 4 years old and have busted my balls doing manual labor since then. I've been taught the value of a dollar, I grew up in a good household to say the least. Only thing I couldn't stand is my mom was very much so overprotective. I wasn't allowed to go to the mall or anywhere with my friends unless she or another adult was present when the rest of my friends were allowed to back in middle school, so I was embarrassed to hang out with anyone outside of school. I'm 20 now and she still calls me and worries about what I do, she needs to let go and realize that I'm grown up and can fend for myself.

ssssnake

Established Member
...Only thing I couldn't stand is my mom was very much so overprotective. I wasn't allowed to go to the mall or anywhere with my friends unless she or another adult was present when the rest of my friends were allowed to back in middle school, so I was embarrassed to hang out with anyone outside of school. I'm 20 now and she still calls me and worries about what I do, she needs to let go and realize that I'm grown up and can fend for myself.

I understand your mom. She's already lost her husband. The worst thing in the world is to lose a child, and you're all she has. The fear of something happening to you is big. Hopefully, she'll lighten up as you get older.

boatcop1

Established Member
Wow, I guess the biggest thing I regret would be that I cannot post on here and say that the lack of video games and sneakers that light up are my "only" regrets! That would be amazing.

Unfortunatly my parrents were both socialites that never grew up to this day. So what do I regret?

Thier divorce

Thier Substance abuse
Thier Alcohol abuse

Not pushing me harder in school or helping me with direction in life.

Leaving me for my grandmother to raise me and teach me how to be a responsible person while they systematicaly destroyed thier lives!

Not calling on my daughter's birthday

I could go on and on...

However with all that there is one thing that I dont regret; Thier blatent disregard for me or themselves has taught me exactly what not to be in life.

I am 33, been married to the same girl for 12 years, we have two daughters who are "A" students, involved in sports, I went on and made the USCG a career, got my degree, we eat dinner together, have investments, share everything with one another and hopefully we will be buying our first house together next year. Only a few people really know about my upbringing and they cannot believe I came from such a chitty childhood. Sometimes I have to take a step back myself and take it all in.

Thank you Grammy R.I.P:bowdown:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
go seek at night in the cul-de-sac with the older kids.

we called that Man-Hunt. i miss those days lol

Dont resent much of anything really. Anything bad that happened to me was pretty much my fault

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
I always resented my mother for divorcing my father and marrying my step dad. That happened 21 years ago. I don't know the reason for the divorce but I know how great of a person my father was. During those first years my step dad was an abusive prick and I never could grasp why she brought him into our house.

AKcobra

Established Member
Socks!!!! My parents made me and brother share everything! All I remember is that little SOB always stole my socks, and I never had socks! Now I have enough socks to clothe Africa with. I buy a bag almost everytime I go to the store. I always give my Mom crap about it. She always says "It wasn't that bad." I disagree!

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I think some of you are taking this thread a bit more seriously than Kyle intended. We were just talking the other day about things we wanted as kids that our parents wouldn't buy for us etc. so he made a thread to see what other kids wanted when they were little and didn't get or weren't allowed to do.

Not that we literally resent them for these things...:read:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
The thing I resent the most is my parents never gave me any direction or encouragement growing up. They didn't care what my grades were as long as I passed and they didn't care what classes I took in high school. So naturally I took easy retard classes and never had to apply myself.

I'm 36 and still a slacker. I blame my parents mostly.

Ever hear that saying "life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it"? Yes, perhaps your parents could have tried to push you more but the choices you made/make now are your choices, not your parents choices. It's your responsibility.

RedDemon91

Established Member
I understand your mom. She's already lost her husband. The worst thing in the world is to lose a child, and you're all she has. The fear of something happening to you is big. Hopefully, she'll lighten up as you get older.

I understand, I'm not mad at her for it or anything, it just gets frustrating at this age ya know?

eclipsemustang

Established Member
My parents wouldn't let me play traveling baseball. Because my mom worked at the church so that meant we couldn't make the tournaments on the weekends. I was mad because I was really good at baseball and wanted to keep playing. Its funny though because now its not a big deal to me but some of my friends will tell me that if I kept playing baseball I might've been able to do something with it.

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
Hmmm. I thought this thread was going to be full of things that you all thought your parents did that ****ed with your minds and gave you whatever dumbass social disorders you claim to have.

Turns out all most of you are doing is bitching a whining about not getting enough GI Joes and Barbie dolls.

:shrug:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
There were these jeans I wanted when I was little that my cousin had that I thought were totally awesome. They had zippers that went about 6 inches up the back of each leg with a bow at the top.

I also wanted a Barbie Jeep that my parents never bought for me.

mattel-fisher-price-barbie-jeep-power-wheels.jpg

Though I shouldn't complain too much about the Jeep, they bought me a dirt bike when I was 4. At the time, though, a Barbie Jeep >*

I got you and Kyle covered. My daughter has this exact Jeep (Minus Barbie Stickers) and a pair of LED Sketchers!

Anyway - I remember crying my ass off for a Green Machine.

I'll add to this the food. Mom is nothing but terrible at cooking and my father would be perfectly happy eating tomato soup for the rest of his life. I'd imagine he has had 5000 cans of the crap in his lifetime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread