this is the best pilot bearing removal tool that i've used

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
previously i have used slide hammers (which the factory service manual specifies btw), grease trick, bread trick, chisels, you name it

but i just picked this tool up - otc 7318 - and the pilot bearing was out in 2intact pieces in seconds, with no violence or mess. also nice cuz it spreads the load right where it should be - at the crank. i believe it was designed for 4.6/5.4 ford modular engines

fwiw to you dyi'rs/tool freaks :beer:

397m7600t7318.jpg

dscn1586af.jpg

dscn1581y.jpg

dscn1592r.jpg

dscn1600t.jpg

TRBO VNM

awesome. I may have to pick one up. I just use the slide hammer, but the bluepoint jaws only last about 20 uses before an ear breaks. Luckliy it is free replacement, but still annoying.

sc98cbra

Established Member
I used one when changing the clutch on my Redfire 04 Cobra... It didnt work as planned... The thing broke. Thank god it was a rental.

I ended up doing the grease, socket method.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I rented one awhile back from Kragens when I worked on my fox bodies. I've also used it on a 4.6 so I'm sure it'll work for most if not all cars. I've had very good luck with it and it's way easier and cleaner than the grease method.

haskett

Established Member
I just spent several hours in the garage using a die grinder on my pilot bearing, followed by a cold chisel, followed by a slide hammer. It's out, but I'm going to order this NOW for the next time I have to do this job on this or any other car.

Thanks for the tip!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i have that same tool from snap on. works wonders, it is good because it grabs the outside lip of the pilot bearing and not the inner one. most grab the inner bearing and then the bearing comes apart and the outer race is still inside the crank.

TRBO VNM

I just spent several hours in the garage using a die grinder on my pilot bearing, followed by a cold chisel, followed by a slide hammer. It's out, but I'm going to order this NOW for the next time I have to do this job on this or any other car.

Thanks for the tip!

should have gone to the auto part store and rented the slide hammer. it would have saved you a lot of time and aggravation.

i have that same tool from snap on. works wonders, it is good because it grabs the outside lip of the pilot bearing and not the inner one. most grab the inner bearing and then the bearing comes apart and the outer race is still inside the crank.

huh? look at his pics. just like the blue point I have and tool you can rent from most stores, it usually pulls out the center bearing first and then the outer sleeve. I don't see how you can get any tool to grab the outside lip of the sleeve on these cars. The bearing is flush with the crank, so there is no gap between it and the crank for it to grab onto.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
should have gone to the auto part store and rented the slide hammer. it would have saved you a lot of time and aggravation.

huh? look at his pics. just like the blue point I have and tool you can rent from most stores, it usually pulls out the center bearing first and then the outer sleeve. I don't see how you can get any tool to grab the outside lip of the sleeve on these cars. The bearing is flush with the crank, so there is no gap between it and the crank for it to grab onto.

I'm referring to sticking the tool inside the crank and grabing the outside lip of the pilot bearing. Not the front outer part of the bearing.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I used the slidehammer from Autozone when I did mine. Took like 2 seconds tops to get it out.

Took longer to set up the tool than it did to remove the bearing. LOL

TRBO VNM

I have a slide hammer with a pilot bearing hook and it was useless.

Not sure what hook tool you have, but sounds like you need a different one/design since it was useless.

I used the slidehammer from Autozone when I did mine. Took like 2 seconds tops to get it out.

Took longer to set up the tool than it did to remove the bearing. LOL

Exactly. Using the proper tools like the OP makes the job easy.

TRBO VNM

I'm referring to sticking the tool inside the crank and grabing the outside lip of the pilot bearing. Not the front outer part of the bearing.

So then did the OP use it wrong? His came out in 2 pieces, but you are saying you have the same one and it comes out as one piece? The one I use 95% of the time makes me do it twice because it comes out in 2 pieces.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
I just removed my pilot bearing using three sheets of wet paper and a hammer/socket combo. Only down side was my hands were cold due to the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread