Thoughts on Twin Turbo install labor charges..

Ptvenom

Established Member
I bought a used 03 cobra back in February. Once I go the car home I went to one of the local speed shops to see about getting some upgrades. What was once to be a simple Whipple/KB swap soon turned into a Hellion twin turbo package for my new toy. Had quite a few things done to the car besides the twin turbos but my main concern here is the labor charges for the turbo install. Will skip some things so this isnt too long. I was initially told $3500-$5000 for turbo install. I can understand that some things do pop up during installs and I know turbo kits are not a quick swap from supercharger. Labor for the turbo kit now stands at $12,750 and the car isnt even finished.

Labor for my turbo kit alone is $8500.00

Labor for hot/cold side mods were $4250.00

This was from the intercooler being too high and I asked for it to be lowered. Before & after photos of the intercooler below. Im sure none of you would have wanted the intercooler sitting in its current state as in the first photo.

Before
IMG_0416.jpg

After
IMG_0421.jpg

These labor charges seem very excessive and was hoping some of you could shed some light on labor costs.
I do have actual invoices for the charges in case anyone doubts the chargers were real. Will be glad to post them here if anyone needs to see.

Thanks

Last edited:

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
I would tell them off! Thats SOME BULL SH#T!!! What did they do included there lunch breaks for the week in labor???

HP will do free installs and tune if you take it to them and purchase the kit.

My entire labor on my 96' Turbo kit install was $500 bucks!

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Intercooler, not heat exchanger. And YIKES at that labor bill! Sounds like they know they got you by the balls!

Teej281

Established Member
Dude...unless that original invoice includes the price of the kit, then there is no way that is on par! Thats an outrageous labor bill! Hellion kits are bolt-on kits. No modification is needed. All you needed was a tubular bumper support and that intercooler would have been positioned fine.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Get some quotes from a couple of known reputable shops, ask them to bring their bill within the range of others, or threaten to to take them to court! Unless that bill includes the whole kit, and any associated extra parts like intakes, TB, MAF, etc., then you are definitely getting hosed. The only time I have seen bills like that was on total custom fabrication when a specific kit didn't exist. Like others have said, the Hellion is pretty much a straight bolt-on kit.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
WOW! that is not even remotely close to what they should have charged you, thats alot. but why did you tell them to lower the intercooler? because, depending on how they did it, it might be the reason for your bill. ask them hiow much time that added to the total labor hours.

Ptvenom

Established Member
That does NOT include the turbo kit. Those are straight labor charges. All of my parts have been paid for.

This is straight off the invoice I have in my hands. Just they way they typed it up.

Labor for hot side modifications: $765.00
-remove old waste gate flanges
-install new waste gate flanges
-wrap hot side piping

Labor for cold side modifications: $3485.00
-lower intercooler & modify piping
-add two blow off valves to intercooler
-fabricate alum. charge pip w/maf flange

Labor for: $8500.00
-Turbo kit
-Clock turbo's
-Assemble oil feed & return lines
-Install fuel lines & rails
-Install spark plugs
-Install Lethal Performance fuel system
-Bump steer kit
-Install Sullivan intake
-Boost controller
-Wrap hot side piping (again I guess the first time wasnt enough)
-Relocate power steering pump
-Route vacuum lines
-Coil overs & caster/camber plates

Here is a pic of the welding after the lowering of the intercooler

036.jpg

Also like to add they have had my car since April and its not finished yet.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
That terminator stencle has to be like 5k.lol

that does seem like a hellovalot though. In the end as long as its done right i guess its worth it.

Teej281

Established Member
At least it looks like they are doing good work. :/ But there is no way this should cost that much. I wouldnt have paid more than a quarter of that for the install.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i'll bet the car is going to be bad ass, and fun as hell once it IS finally finished.

...i agree that you are taking a raping on the labor charges tho...holy shit! almost $13K so far, NOT COUNTING THE COST FOR PARTS/TUBRO KIT, and they arent finished yet.

i dont even want to know, what the final cost of adding a hellion kit to your cobra, is going to end up costing you. all together, when its all said and done.

Teej281

Established Member
I cant wait to hear how much they are going to charge to tune this car...and have it be a sh!tty tune.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
You got totally screwed on that one. Even the fabrication they did shouldn't equal that. That is a disgrace. For that money they only wrapped your hotside and couldn't even have it high temp coated? Wow you got boned on that one. You could have shipped your car to Hellion had it installed by them and tuned for less than that I bet.

Quagmire

Established Member
should have the breakdown by hour, whats their hourly rate? has to be well over 100 bucks if it cost that much, and no way it would take 120 hours? really 3 weeks of labor???????????? something doesn't add up if they can't prove it don't pay it.turbo kit maybe a 4 day install at most at 8 hours is 32 hours at 100 bucks 3200.......

mach1033

Established Member
I was quoted 12k but that included the twin kit, sullivan upper and lower, TB and tune. 12k just in labor is nuts but trust me you are not alone when getting banged in the corn hole when it comes to shops taken advantage of people. Your car should be sick though.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
that is an insane price ! I mean i see there is a lot of work here and there but 12k at the going rate which is about 100$ an hour labor is 120 hours of work...... I really really really do not think they have spent anywhere near 120 hours worth of work in labor.... heck most shops charge 75-120. My dads shop charges $88. Thats crazy man

but that turbo set up is pretty sweet !

Users who are viewing this thread