Tick and Loss of power

U LOSE

Established Member
So I ran the car pretty hard Friday night. Accidentally hit the rev limiter a couple of times. The car was building 19 PSI now it will only hits about 15 and falls on its face somewhere around 4k RPM. I have also now heard a tick on two separate cold starts, sounds like it is relative to the RPM, so maybe the valve train. Runs normal other than that.

I just hope that it isn't a rod bearing causing the tick.

I'm a little worried about taking it to the dealer since it is modified. I don't want them to take it apart, then say we found the problem but we are not going to cover it so its going to cost you 1 million dollars to put it back together now.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

I'm a little worried about taking it to the dealer since it is modified. I don't want them to take it apart, then say we found the problem but we are not going to cover it so its going to cost you 1 million dollars to put it back together now.

Gotta pay to play!

Good luck with the fix

paluka21

Established Member
Grab a video of the tick and post it. My motor also has a ticking sound but thus far runs strong, but it's also a stock motored car minus a Ford resonator delete.
In my opinion if you're down on boost it's escaping from somewhere perhaps an exhaust valve as boost is only a relative measure of back pressure. Run a compression test and leak the motor down if you can to see how healthy it looks.

ryan319

Established Member
I'd start with pulling the plugs, draining/inspecting the oil; then a compression test, then scope the bores.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Take it back to the dealership you bought it from, I'm assuming it's a ford dealer, if they give you any crap about it being modified, tell them you sold it to me this way.

U LOSE

Established Member
I'd start with pulling the plugs, draining/inspecting the oil; then a compression test, then scope the bores.

Yeah i'm going to try and start on that today.

Take it back to the dealership you bought it from, I'm assuming it's a ford dealer, if they give you any crap about it being modified, tell them you sold it to me this way.

I would but that dealer is about 5 hours away. it is In Louisiana, and im in Houston. The dealer that i bought it from said the car is under warranty and I will have no problem with the after market exhaust and CAI. That is all they thought the car had.

U LOSE

Established Member
Grab a video of the tick and post it. My motor also has a ticking sound but thus far runs strong, but it's also a stock motored car minus a Ford resonator delete.
In my opinion if you're down on boost it's escaping from somewhere perhaps an exhaust valve as boost is only a relative measure of back pressure. Run a compression test and leak the motor down if you can to see how healthy it looks.

I was going to grab a video this morning on my way to work, but i could barely hear any ticks. The only faint sound i did hear sounded like it might just be something loose under the car, maybe exhaust or something.

U LOSE

Established Member
Well still trying to figure out this problem. So far I have changed the plugs, and I have changed the bypass valve actuator. Thinking maybe the diaphragm was messed up. But it wasn't. So now i'm thinking that the computer is limiting me somehow. I'm 99% sure that the tick i had was coming from a bad idler pulley. The engines runs perfectly quite now.

Last edited:

U LOSE

Established Member
Do you still run cats?
-J

Yes still have cats.

I only have HP Tuner from my GM days. So i tried to data log it and see what was going on. I notice that Knock Retart goes off really high. But in a negative number, and only in that one time slot, which is weird, could just be HPTuners lack of Ford support. I also noticed that "Torque Source" pretty much stays at Driver Dem. Which i "think" is normal. I was hoping that "Torque Source" would shed some light on some things. Maybe "Torque Source" isn't working right because once again I am using HPTuners. But i did see it change at one point to TipIn so that kinda makes me think that it might be working.

HWJGgYT.png

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to buy a SCT X4 and get Lund tune, so if there really is a problem you can data log it and send it back to him. I will say your problem is a little odd

U LOSE

Established Member
In that pic above I am flooring it with traction control off, and the TPS says 56%, so for some reason the computer is not letting the TB open all the way, just have to figure out why.

Users who are viewing this thread