Tire advice.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Hello. It as been a while since I've posted, and I think this best place to get good responses, so I will write this here. I am buying some drag radials for my car, and want to know the best size and brand that will get me down the strip. I heard that a 28 inch tall tire is best, and I am thinking about Mickey Thompson ET streets. Hopefully people can chime in, the big race is labor day weekend at the track so there is plenty of time.

Also, I still plan on getting some dyno data for after my header install to see where she stands. I just graduated from college on Sunday, and that has been eating up all of my free time. I live in Minnesota now, the car is getting stored for the winter, and I plan on either building the short block or buying a new one for next season while she hibernates. The gears are turning, and I am thinking about a possible nitrous build or adding boost. Going to a track for the first time last month definitely changed me lmao. Thanks for reading!

Gruca

Established Member
Bias ply would be a better option since you're manual. Hoosier and M&H make some good bias ply slicks. Summit and Jegs have lots of options.

bunits19714

Established Member
if you plan on using tires at the track you need to go bias ply - if you just looking for a lil more traction on the street then you can get away with a drag radial- they will do decent from a roll but not so great from a dig on the street. And atleast a 9.5-10 inch wide wheel -

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Bias ply would be a better option since you're manual. Hoosier and M&H make some good bias ply slicks. Summit and Jegs have lots of options.

if you plan on using tires at the track you need to go bias ply - if you just looking for a lil more traction on the street then you can get away with a drag radial- they will do decent from a roll but not so great from a dig on the street. And atleast a 9.5-10 inch wide wheel -

Honestly, I like the drag radial option because they are DOT compliant, my street tires are worn right now, so I could just roll around on the MTs until snow flies. My buddy has been using them at the track and likes his results, he put down a 10.1 the other day. Do you guys recommend a 28 inch tire?

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
slick for stick, my friend. You'll find DRs frustrating and hard on parts. This is from someone who's used both, multiple times over multiple platforms. I wish DRs fit the bill better, as driving to the track on drag slicks is risky, even though I've done it many times.

As for how much tire, depends on your gearing and intentions. I used a 28" tire to keep the car in fourth at the stripe. 3.73 BBP. The same tire is a little tall for my current 3.15 automatic BBP car. I'd be better off on 26" tires. You, with a 3.31, need 26" tires, which is good for you, as they are more widely available.

Nitrous ftmfw. 100 shot on my stock 14 auto made 11.4 at over 120. I'm about to throw 150 at it on E85 and get myself tossed for no cage.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
slick for stick, my friend. You'll find DRs frustrating and hard on parts. This is from someone who's used both, multiple times over multiple platforms. I wish DRs fit the bill better, as driving to the track on drag slicks is risky, even though I've done it many times.

As for how much tire, depends on your gearing and intentions. I used a 28" tire to keep the car in fourth at the stripe. 3.73 BBP. The same tire is a little tall for my current 3.15 automatic BBP car. I'd be better off on 26" tires. You, with a 3.31, need 26" tires, which is good for you, as they are more widely available.

Nitrous ftmfw. 100 shot on my stock 14 auto made 11.4 at over 120. I'm about to throw 150 at it on E85 and get myself tossed for no cage.

Damn, great info! I am keeping the 3.31s because I am so used to driving on it, and have never had a traction issue. Looks like I will look into the 26" option, thanks for pointing that out! And yes, the whole appeal of this car was to not buy a blower, I think adding nitrous would totally make her even more one of a kind.

Gruca

Established Member

I have an MT82 with 3.31s and 28" slicks. I finish in 4th gear. Just for a point of reference.

bunits19714

Established Member
what wheel size 15, 16 17 18 19 will you be running? this also determines if you have to relocate your rear sway bar?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
what wheel size 15, 16 17 18 19 will you be running? this also determines if you have to relocate your rear sway bar?

I want to run a 15 inch wheel. The MTs seem to run in that size pretty easily.

Unless I choose slicks, which sounds like a different animal sizing wise. But then I am stuck buying slicks AND street tires, so hopefully MT ET streets are a good medium. Ill post a link to what I am looking at here.

Last edited:

bunits19714

Established Member
if you go to a 10" wheel which you should to really lay tire out you will have to either relocate your sway bar or replace it with a whitline or a bmr which are both heavy duty adj and act kinda like a mini antiroll bar when they're on their stiffest settings and help keep the car more level on harder launches-

5lho

Established Member
For slick or DR, Hoosier makes the best I've tried. The Hoosier is a true 10" wide tread on the 28X10X16 I'm currently running. Mickey's and such are 8.5. Hoosier's rubber compound is softer and more forgiving as well, in my experience. I have the above tires crammed onto a 7.5" '00 Mustang 16" wheel and it's fine, thus 8" wheels are perfectly adequate for this car and don't require even the minor surgery of relocating the bar.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Hey everyone thanks for your replies! I just got out of the military and am scrambling to get a job, at which point I'm going to buy some Hoosiers based on all this advice. I have interviews lined up, so it should be a go. I can always buy some Continentals to roll around the street with.

blownby

Established Member
second for the Hoosiers!
Love the Quick Time Pro's and my stick!
700whp, 6500 and drop the hammer....they hold!
I am running 27x11.5 on a 15x10

DR and stick suck! Been there done that even with good 275/50 15 MT's DR.
gets frustrating as hell!

Users who are viewing this thread