Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Get the **** out of here with that

Votes: 35 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I've recently noticed a lot of cars at the shows with what I first thought simply had the letters painted white, then realized that all the letters were nowhere near that huge on the original tires. I remember when manufacturers quit embedding white rubber into the the letters on tires and everybody who still wanted white lettering would just buy a tire marker and paint the letters white. It looked fine for about a couple of days and would quickly turn brown from the heat and dirt.

So I was sitting on the couch, sulking because I had gapped the plugs in my '13 wrong and had to go through the whole process of retuning for e85, when I decided to research this whole new tire letter fad.

Decals. I was actually kind of amused. They're just thick vinyl and rubber tiles attached with what is no more or less regular old rubber cement.

At first, I thought it was a little "over the top" as the letters are typically in huge proportions and kind of "ricey". But, they have grown on me a little bit. While I wouldn't put them on my own vehicle, I have started to enjoy seeing other cars at the shows with them.

Would you or have you put tire letter decals on your ride?

Here is an obligatory pic of one I found on the interwideworldcloudweb:
continental-tire-stickers.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I may be partial..but I don't think it looks bad.

I'm putting new tires on in a couple months and I doubt I redo it though.

dsc06054_zpsfay5vqng-jpg.59074

08mojo

Established Member
I am not a fan at all. It is just what you said: a fad. To me, it is along the same lines as the ricers that put stickers/branding all over their front fenders--you know, because racecar.

But, what do I know? I'm just a grumpy old man, now get off my lawn!:D

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are a small handful of cars I've seen that I think it works well with the theme of the car but on most I think it draws attention to an area that doesnt warrant it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, the ACR is pretty much a racecar...so perhaps it gets a pass.

lol

I never liked the idea. I bought the car sight-unseen with plans to rip them off. But then when it got here, I didn't mind them. It breaks up the black wheels/black tires.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I painted mine with white markers.
Stayed white for the 3 months of late summer I used it, only time it wore was when I was too hard with the sponge over the white letters while washing the car.
Other than that, solid.
And once it's done the first time (2 layers, takes time) I'm havning no problems with putting another layer on. Takes total 15 minutes for all 4 wheels.
large_394620-3742223.jpg

large_394620-3742224.jpg

large_394620-3742225.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

The markers I used:
attachment.php

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
White letter out and hellaflush or it will look ricey

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Voted, and I like tire letters as they lift something up that usually is pretty damn boring.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm 50/50. I probably wouldn't do it but I think it looks just fine when others do it. I certainly don't think it looks ricer. I would lean more towards a medium sized letter vs. large, though. Just large enough to compliment the tire/wheel/brake setup, but not so large that the letters dominate. JMO, of course. Do what you like, and like what you do. :)

colin450

Established Member
I think with some cars they look fine but I would never do it on my own car.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I like them. I had the letters painted on mine when my car was red for a little while, but as you said, they started turning brown and yellow, so I took it all off. With the new color scheme on my car, I was actually looking at the kits online the other night to white the letters out again. I think they will look ok on my car, but I'm not 100% yet. Might be too much white. Still going to give it a shot though.

However, I will NOT be making them larger than the actual letters on the tires are. I will simply be filling in what is already there.

Not the best picture (photography skills were below sub-par when I took this) but you can kind of see the letters.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

The new scheme and how it sits now. (not everyone's cup of tea, but I do love it.)
nuDxo89 - Imgur.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think it can look really good, when done right.

As with any other appearance mod, there is a right way and a wrong way.

coposrv

Established Member
I think it's kind of goofy looking on most cars but some can really look good with it. All in all I like seeing different things in the car hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it's kind of goofy looking on most cars but some can really look good with it. All in all I like seeing different things in the car hobby.

+1 i might try it when i get new tires on the 01 just to see

Users who are viewing this thread