Torco for dyno numbers?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I have a dyno tune coming soon and a new VMP install. Will be running on 93 pump. As macho as this seems, I want to see 600 on the dyno sheet (03 cobra). I bought a bottle of torco to up the octane and will ask my tuner if that would mess anything up for regular 93 street tune but what's your guys thoughts on this? I'm ultimately going to do whatever they tell me to do and I didn't really dive into it yet but I would think that would allow them to run a lot of timing to get a number then back it off for a street tune. Maybe though they just want to see where it starts to knock w/out the torco though then back it off from there. Thoughts? @04sleeper @MalcolmV8

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
What pullies are you going to run? I would do the opposite, 93 only in the tank to start, get that dialed and lock in that tune, then have a 5 gallon jug of 93 + a full bottle of Torco and dump that in, then turn the timing up.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
TVS should net you 600 on 93 anyway. I have tuned quite a few that have cracked the 600 mark on 93.

But if you want to add Torco for safety then your tuner should easily be able to to both tunes and I'm sure you will make more.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So your Torco tune would only be for a single dyno run, for a higher number? You aren't planning to ever run Torco after that?

choate

Established Member
So your Torco tune would only be for a single dyno run, for a higher number? You aren't planning to ever run Torco after that?

To answer your first question yes, that was the original plan.

To answer your second question, I might. Not sure yet. I feel like it's a slippery slope. Like I wouldn't want to go back to the regular gas tune again. I guess I need to see if they charge double for a second tune. I was told $600 for "half day" on the dyno so not sure what that means and haven't asked yet. Waiting on the gt500 throttle body to come in for now but might want to order a 2nd smaller pulley too?

choate

Established Member
TVS should net you 600 on 93 anyway. I have tuned quite a few that have cracked the 600 mark on 93.

But if you want to add Torco for safety then your tuner should easily be able to to both tunes and I'm sure you will make more.

Thanks for your reply. I tagged you b/c I know you know your stuff on tuning and also Malcolm. Thanks man

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Torco will definitely get you a slightly higher dyno number, but, will do more than that behind the scenes.

At that power level, 93 is not what I'd personally call 100% safe. A case of Torco is maybe $130 and one can will be good for an entire tank of gas. I assume the Cobra is not a DD, so, that should last you a while.

The only downside is after extended use, the Torco will start to turn the spark plugs orange. Otherwise, I think it is a great product as I used it in my full bolt-on 5.0 that had fuel issues and it cleared them up after it was dyno'd/tuned.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
the dyno is for tuning ur car for what ur actually gonna use it for on the street. if ur not planning on using Torco every time u take ur car out then leave it out of the equation..... the novelty of having to not only buy the Torco but carry it with u everywhere and use it every time ur fill up will wear off really quick!

it only raises octane to 101 which is much better then 93 I agree but unless I planned on using it every time I filled up then I would not use it.

if ur looking for cheap insurance install a Methanol kit. you don't have to tune it as fuel although u could and many do. I don't use it as fuel just insurance as a cooling agent for intake temps.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
OP I feel you, I have been in your frame of mind before. If you're anxious to make a number and for your car to run hard on the dyno, I would get your fuel mix where you want it to be and let this up coming session be your "Race" tune, just run it this way until you are sick of spending the money on Torco and mixing and having it with you ect. When that time comes, take it back for a more conservative street/pump gas tune.

Can't speak for your shop, but the shop I took my car to here, your initial dyno session is a 2 hour minimum so that they can get it well dialed in across the board. Once you go back for any changes, they charge for 1 hour for re-tune or as needed. You may want to ask your shop if they are similar.

Last edited:

choate

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have figured out what I want to do. Gonna just leave the 93 by it's self for this round and have him put a good safe tune on it. Not gonna worry too much about numbers but I would really like to see that 600 show up. Will go back next spring or late this fall with a 2.8" pulley and Torco for the race tune and that'll do it for sure. I'd likely only be running that when I want to show off or have a little extra fun

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Why no E85? I checked the ethanol station locator and found multiple sources in the St Louis area.

I'd forget about the 600 number on pump gas....if it happens it happens. Be more concerned with safety.

Forget torco unless you like your plugs and 02 sensors coated in red crud.

Run E85 and you'll far surpass 600...,you will be knocking on 700

choate

Established Member
Wow you are right. I've never once seen a sign or a pump for that matter with it on there but they are everywhere around me. For now I'd need to save up for a fuel system and upgrade injectors but maybe that should be the plan for next year. My tuner called Torco "junk"

decipha

Established Member
i call torco junk too, i got too much money in my engines to run that fouler as i call it

best option for you is to just toss a simple meth kit on it, meth is cheap only $2 a gallon at almost every supermarket gas station walmart or parts store

but yes e85 is where its ay when you get your finances in order

Users who are viewing this thread