Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

racebronco2

Established Member
The rear tow hook would work. The front tow hook would not because our h/e is in front of our bumper support. I flat plate could be made to fit. It would have to be welded to the bumper support and squeezed between the h/e bumper cover. The problem i see with that is if you are ever towed with that support and the tow rope is angled up in any way it would damage your bumper cover because there is no way to support the front portion of the tow hook. I designed mine so that it is removable.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
The rear tow hook would work. The front tow hook would not because our h/e is in front of our bumper support. I flat plate could be made to fit. It would have to be welded to the bumper support and squeezed between the h/e bumper cover. The problem i see with that is if you are ever towed with that support and the tow rope is angled up in any way it would damage your bumper cover because there is no way to support the front portion of the tow hook. I designed mine so that it is removable.

Fortunately, I don't need to worry about the H/E. But I think I have all the other issues the later Cobras have.

And I found the info from the company I contacted earlier. It's http://www.rennenmetal.com/.
I'll follow up on that (though if Anthony comes up with a solution, I'd be interested in that, too).

racebronco2

Established Member
Fortunately, I don't need to worry about the H/E. But I think I have all the other issues the later Cobras have.

And I found the info from the company I contacted earlier. It's http://www.rennenmetal.com/.
I'll follow up on that (though if Anthony comes up with a solution, I'd be interested in that, too).

On your car you could fabricate one similar to racer's 3rd picture.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
On your car you could fabricate one similar to racer's 3rd picture.

That would be possible. But I'm exploring the idea of having it centered, like your's, so I can have the tag holder over it.

This is what David at RennenMetal was looking at as a possibility for Mustang tow hooks. He says they're similar to what they make for Corvettes.

Tow_Hook.jpg

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Centered in front behind the tag holder would be fantastic. In the rear, I still have to get around the diffuser. They didn't make it easy.

racebronco2

Established Member
If you do a search there were a thread that showed a 2000r with front and rear tow hooks. The rear would work for us. The bracket was square tubing that had a flange on it so it could be bolted to the frame. A tow hook was welded to the tubing, that is how they were able to get the tow hook past the lower edge of the bumper cover.

David Hester

Established Member
MultiMatic made up some like this a couple of years ago.
Couple of things to think about.
1) Aluminum.... save it for the ricers. I've seen these snap off real easy. Worthless or really really thick.
2) Eye needs to be 2" ID. This is to be able to get clevis attached or tow strap threaded through. I've been on the wrong end of several tow straps.
I/O Porthas a soft tow ring I use on the rear of the racecar.
tsr.gif

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Reviving this since Rennenmetal doesn't have one for the Mustang yet.

Has anyone tried the I/O Port strap on the front?
tsr.gif

I want something before going out again.

David Hester

Established Member
I use one on the rear of the race car. It works....real well...... several times.....
I use a chain on the front. Not too classy but it works well, too.
Be careful how you attach. If you aren't pulled straight it can rip off entire bumper cover. I attached the rear to the trunk rim on the end and again to the bumper about 2 inches from the other end.
PICT0035.jpg

wheelhopper

Established Member
Greg, you're worrying me a little w/ your recent tow strap obsession. Are you planning on doing something I should know about.:poke:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
NO!
Repeat with me....I will always check my gas gauge before going out....I will always check my gas gauge before going out....I will always check my gas gauge before going out....I will always check my gas gauge before going out.
That was too close last year. :D

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Update---
I have a front tow hook design drawn up and will be taking it to the laser with me this next week. This will involve some welding but the actual tow hook is removeable via bolts. Install it for track days, remove it for the weekdays.

1/4" steel is going to be the primary material used. I am also thinking that a 3/8ths thick design might be good to offer for tracks that have deep gravel traps or for rainy conditions when going off track is much more "interesting."

Thank you,
Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I would be intersted in something that is removable and also hidden behind the plate. Not sure if I want to ride around with the tow hook pertruding through the bumper like a gutted Civic!!!

Can't wait to see what Steve comes up with!!!

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread